What family car or SUV to get?

FarangFB

20 hours ago, fredob43 said:

It's small.

You are thinking of the Honda HR-V which is only 4,294mm in length. The Honda CRV is 4,605mm long and is not small. I have had one for 5 years and it is very reliable, fun to drive and carries 5 people and loads of luggage and shopping.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Yes, with 60,000km on it.

Never seen anywhere near the numbers you claim.

How else would I be able to comment on the subject?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well I can only put it down to the way you drive. Or where you live. Places like Pattaya and BKK those being car parks, you won't get anything like it. I did say on a run.

The last long run I did was 4 months ago from K.P.Phet to Pattaya some 500km, 4 large peeps up + lot's of luggage, and it returned 6.2 = 100km that was tank to tank. Comp: in the lump said the same.

Checked over the return distance must say only 3 peeps on the way back. All in C/C as much as possible in eco mode and with premium diesel. Don't know if the latter makes any difference. Speed 110kph on 1/32 AR, 120 out of Pattaya and around BKK. 

When I got the lump I was told to use premium diesel so that's what I have always used.

Well I can only put it down to the way you drive. Or where you live. Places like Pattaya and BKK those being car parks, you won't get anything like it. I did say on a run.

The last long run I did was 4 months ago from K.P.Phet to Pattaya some 500km, 4 large peeps up + lot's of luggage, and it returned 6.2 = 100km that was tank to tank. Comp: in the lump said the same.

Checked over the return distance must say only 3 peeps on the way back. All in C/C as much as possible in eco mode and with premium diesel. Don't know if the latter makes any difference. Speed 110kph on 1/32 AR, 120 out of Pattaya and around BKK. 
When I got the lump I was told to use premium diesel so that's what I have always used.

No mate, I live central Thailand but drive to bkk a lot, usually alone no luggage.

I do drive about 130-140 though.

Interesting about the premium diesel.

5 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

No mate, I live central Thailand but drive to bkk a lot, usually alone no luggage.

I use Shell Premium Diesel and it makes a noticeable difference. It does cost about 3bht more per ltr which I find worth it, but many may not.

21 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

As I said I don't know if it helps using premium diesel. They gave me a chitty for a full tank when I got the lump. I was told to put premium in by Toyo. Why who knows.

I cant travel at your speeds due to the many speed traps we have on the AR 1/32. But I have no doubt that doing 130/40kph doesn't help. 

Before those traps I would do 160+kph quite a lot, that was in the old 3lt Tuna. Was lucky to get 10/11kpl in that. When I put my foot down even less.

One of the last trips I did in that was from Pattaya to K.P.Phet 500km. I did that in less than 4 hours including a stop but it did use up the fuel returned around 8/9kpl.     

2 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I use Shell Premium Diesel and it makes a noticeable difference. It does cost about 3bht more per ltr which I find worth it, but many may not.

I put in any Premium diesel, all about the same I have found.

The CRV is same size as a CX5, and both are bigger than a Volvo XC40. Have you considered a second hand BMW X3, X5 or even a Mercedes ML?

for new car then a Pajero or Fortuner is the way to go if you want reliable, cheap and easy to maintain.

CX5 is a great car, fabulous to drive, won loads of awards in Europe and US where it’s up against some serious competition. If you can live with the size it’s by far the best of the bunch.

10 hours ago, FarangFB said:

New Pajero? Is that coming out anytime soon?

Little update.

The snap you got of the new Pajero is only a concept car so far.

Also only has a 2.4lt engine. You said you wanted something with more power. Not that it's under powered, but you have already said that the 2.8lt Tuna isn't big enough engine wise.

The CRV has a 0-100km time of just under 9 secs, I believe the Fortuner is a little over 12 secs. The CRV will be more saloon like and probably easier on the parking stuff. Honda is in the same league as Toyota regarding reliability...

22 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Really !!!

I have had two Fortuner's 2015 and now 2018. It is the Auto 2.8 S4 i get 7.2 litres per 100km city and 6.3 litres per 100km country. the only thing which could be improved is the rear seats to fold into the floor or sides for more storage room. Otherwise great reliable bus, good after sale service and best resale value.

3 hours ago, TTSIssues said:

The CRV is same size as a CX5, and both are bigger than a Volvo XC40. Have you considered a second hand BMW X3, X5 or even a Mercedes ML?

for new car then a Pajero or Fortuner is the way to go if you want reliable, cheap and easy to maintain.

CX5 is a great car, fabulous to drive, won loads of awards in Europe and US where it’s up against some serious competition. If you can live with the size it’s by far the best of the bunch.

To back to the comment above. 

I test drove the Ford Explorer 2.2 Titanium+ model I think although I was looking at the 3.2l. It felt like a fat container ship (but probably feels much bigger than it is and I used to have a Range Rover in Bangkok which didn't feel as big !).

If you are looking for something big but not quite as big as Humvee, this is your ride !!... Its actually a good car, ticks all the 'logic' boxes. Ford sales were crappy, walked out of the show room. 

If You're looking at the Ford Everest, also consider the Mitsubishi Pajero.

As TTSIssues wrote above - the Ford and Mitsu are the lumps to go with if you want cheap reliable motoring in a large, 7 seat *utility vehicle (*I deliberately omitted the 'sports' part).

Honda CRV (My wife had the MK 4 Model as a second car a few years back), it's was an OK car, no issues no complaints, noting fantastic, ticked the boxes. I imagine the newer MK 5 model is also the same. It's definitely large enough (larger than Mazda the CX-5)

BMW X3 and X5: You'll get a decent second hand 2-3 yrs old X3 for around 2 Mill. For an X5 you are stretching your budget (I sold my low mileage 3 yr Old X5 for 3MB).

Along the BMW range you may find an X1 too small, but it may be worth a look and sparks more emotion on brand alone if that floats your boat and if so, the second hand X3 is defiantly worth a look, but, the X3 is the same size as the CRV and CX-5. 

And... on to the CX-5... this is what I have now (2018 2.2 XDL (diesel). I never imagined I'd drive a Mazda, I never fancied them at all and only went in the show room to appease the wife and remain open minded (while doing research I was sure I'd get the Explorer). We'd sold our 3 yr old X5 a few days before hand and was aware that 'stepping down' was going to be somewhat of a shock to my finely pampered backside, the Ford was understandably utilitarian (in top speck), the Mazda, however, seemed very 'plush', almost as if they had directly copied the BMW's interior.

I was incredibly surprised at the level of quality in the Mazda. An excellent Heads up Display, lane assist (the ford has this too), a good Bose Sound System.

The Marketing bumf spouts premium feel, it's not wrong. The Mazda only has 5 seats (no 3rd row) which could be a showstopper for you.

As far as 'grunt' is concerned the 2.2l Skyactive diesel engine is not fast, but I think it's as quick as you're going to get in the 1.8 to 2.2 Million Baht Mid-Large SUV bracket without spending a lot more. 

Mercedes ML250: I borrowed a friends for the weekend (Did a car swap with a friend, at the time I had a BMW 528i and needed more space to go away with some friends visiting Thailand). It's a solid car, fairly slow but we don't choose an SUV for speed. It's an aging design inside. The depreciation is slow, so for 2MB expect quite an old model 6yrs or so. Personally, I wouldn't get one. 

It seems you are in a very similar position I was in a few years back.

I narrowed the choices down to the 3.2l Everest Titanium+ and the Mazda CX-5 2.2 XDL.

After test driving the Ford I walked away to re-think, in the mean time I test drove the Mazda and was able to make the decision on the spot before I'd stepped out of the car. 

And to add: The new Volvo XC-40... it looks great, I've only briefly seen one in the flesh on the street. It looks small. Good for a second car if you wanted something SUV'ish - I think its in the same 'size bracket' as the Honda HRV, Mazda CX-3 etc... Looks like a fantastic car though. 

Final note: People are discussing pro's and con's of different engines, mileage, mentioning phrases like gas guzzler... etc... Does it really matter that much?? All modern cars are pretty good, I don't think there's enough difference between the Engines of these Mid-range SUV's to make it a decision factor.

You're not choosing an Eco-Car - so saving 1 Baht per kilometer is not of the essence. Its nice to have some 'grunt' but don't wish to pay for a BMW X5M etc... all the cars have enough to accelerate away from a Toll Booth and accelerate from 50-120kmh to get into 'lane speed' on the express ways etc... 

I Hope this opinion helps. 

I owns now an Fortuner for 7 years, I bought it new and have to say, I'm very satisfied (3ltr diesel turbo)

The maintenance fees are low, even now after 120,000km and never had any hassle.

For long time I'm searching for a new car but can not make an decision because the new Fortuner have an much smaller engine, and also the model is not nice, of course a personal opinion.

Yes the Volvo XC60, I like but I hear some troubles with the engine (D5)

Long time ago I owns an Ford Escape, never again an Ford, terrible service and high prices about parts, I agree the new Ford looks very nice with many gadgets, but as I say, never again.

I'm looking to an VW Touran/Tiguan but hardly to find in LOS, and very expensive.

What rest?? An Benz? also very expensive, so difficult to find a new car like the old Fortuner.

4 minutes ago, transam said:
10 minutes ago, asiamaster said:

Gas guzzler. Honda has lost the plot. Mazda far better engines these days.

It has a V8..........?        ????

Indeed...  I had a 4.4 V8 Range Rover a few years back - its the only time I've ever really noticed the 'guzzle'... and I was foot heavy (oh the sound of a V8 !)... 

On any car recently I can't say I've noticed the economy on any one car more than the other - the fuel efficiency is all pretty much of a muchness and perhaps far more greatly impacted by our driving characteristics than the engine itself... 

1 minute ago, Peterphuket said:

I owns now an Fortuner for 7 years, I bought it new and have to say, I'm very satisfied (3ltr diesel turbo)

The maintenance fees are low, even now after 120,000km and never had any hassle.

For long time I'm searching for a new car but can not make an decision because the new Fortuner have an much smaller engine, and also the model is not nice, of course a personal opinion.

Long time ago I owns an Ford Escape, never again an Ford, terrible service and high prices about parts, I agree the new Ford looks very nice with many gadgets, but as I say, never again.

I'm looking to an VW Touran/Tiguan but hardly to find in LOS, and very expensive.

What rest?? An Benz? also very expensive, so difficult to find a new car like the old Fortuner.

The XC-60 would be my choice of next car - BUT... its about 1MB beyond the Op's Budget, although there are some decent looking 0% finance options (if the Op can qualify for finance)..

The VW's are also beyond budget. Both Volvo and VW have poor dealership coverage in Thailand, Volvo is making in-roads into dealer-coverage in Bangkok at least. 

5 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

The new Fortuner has a 200cc smaller engine (2.8) but has more go...It even has self adjusting valve adjustment which will have a service cash saving benefit....

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The XC-60 would be my choice of next car - BUT... its about 1MB beyond the Op's Budget, although there are some decent looking 0% finance options (if the Op can qualify for finance)..

The VW's are also beyond budget. Both Volvo and VW have poor dealership coverage in Thailand, Volvo is making in-roads into dealer-coverage in Bangkok at least. 

I agree with you that's the problem with the dealers, I live in Phetchaburi, so always you'll have to go to Bangkok.

Toyota is on every corner of the street.

8 minutes ago, transam said:

The new Fortuner has a 200cc smaller engine (2.8) but has more go...It even has self adjusting valve adjustment which will have a service cash saving benefit....

To be honestly I build in from the begin a device from Racechip, and it gives just that extra piece of power what you need sometimes when accelerating.

1 minute ago, Peterphuket said:

To be honestly I build in from the begin a device from Racechip, and it gives just that extra piece of power what you need sometimes when accelerating.

My "late" Vigo had a Racechip which was great, it lasted about 3 years..You can get a Racechip for the 2.8 too....There is my old thread about the Racechip somewhere...

As I recall it upped the HP to 204 and the TQ to 400+....It did what they advertised....

12 minutes ago, transam said:

My "late" Vigo had a Racechip which was great, it lasted about 3 years..You can get a Racechip for the 2.8 too....There is my old thread about the Racechip somewhere...

As I recall it upped the HP to 204 and the TQ to 400+....It did what they advertised....

Again, it is the new model I don't like anymore, but it is the brand with the least problems in the world!

Archived