What family car or SUV to get?

FarangFB

On 4/18/2019 at 7:37 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

Had 2 Fortuners (first petrol then a diesel which was better); very happy.

Now have Nissan X-Trail; very happy. Somebody wrote a very good lengthy review of their X-Trail, which is worth reading.

I wanted an Everest, wife wanted an X-Trail, so we compromised and bought an X-Trail.  ????

She was right.

The chassis in the truck based SUV's steals a lot of space and creates handling and ride compromises.  

18 months and many long trips later - still impressed with the X-Trail.

Not sure how the new 2.5 X-Trail compares to my 2.0 4x4 though?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, fredob43 said:

It puts the whole system in a lower set up, giving you more revs per the speed you are traveling at = more power when you put you foot down. Will also hold the lower gears longer before changing up. 

As I have said I only use it if I want to go passed a long line of traffic sharpish, Once I'm passed them I turn it back into Eco mode. Sports mode use's lots more fuel estimate around 25% more.

I can use the paddle shift to do the same thing, but that's just a lot of buggering about as you have to keep an eye on the rev counter. So it's a quick click on the S/Mode button. I don't know why they fit paddle shift. I have only used it once to see how it worked just another waste of time.

I'm not sure about the fortuner, but in my diesel crv I can downshift with the paddle shifters one or 2 gears (when not in the full sports mode), and use that to overtake quickly. Once I back off the pedal again it will automatically go back to whatever gear it wants. If I want full sports mode I press the drive button again then can manually shift with the paddle shifters. 

On 4/17/2019 at 11:11 AM, transam said:

Perhaps you and yours are big.....????

The new crv isn't small. I have the new one (diesel AWD) and there is more room in the first two rows than the new mitusubishi pajero sport. And the crv is way more comfortable than the pjs (drove that for 500 kkm over New Year). I would have taken the petrol 5 seat version but really wanted the diesel and proper gearbox. 19.3 km/l from Bangkok to Ratchaburi over light traffic during Songkran. Not bad. 

I read every reply, thanks.

I'm considering now:

1- Honda CRV

2- Toyota Fortuner

3- Mazda CX-5

The Volvo XC60 mentioned here would be absolutely awesome, especially the T8 version with over 400hp. But it's a bit too much of a stretch, I'd have to put a down payment of 750k and then 55k per month for like 5 years. I'm trying to be under 500k down payment and 25k per month. 

The Honda CRV seems to the most realistic option, I'll go to the dealership take a look in the next days. Unless I see some deal breaking issue I'll probably go for it. Some people mentioned high fuel consumption but I don't travel that much and it's not a big deal to me, I currently spend like 2000b on fuel on my Avanza per month, I wouldn't mind spending another 1-2k.

10 hours ago, FarangFB said:

I read every reply, thanks.

I'm considering now:

1- Honda CRV

2- Toyota Fortuner

3- Mazda CX-5

The Volvo XC60 mentioned here would be absolutely awesome, especially the T8 version with over 400hp. But it's a bit too much of a stretch, I'd have to put a down payment of 750k and then 55k per month for like 5 years. I'm trying to be under 500k down payment and 25k per month. 

The Honda CRV seems to the most realistic option, I'll go to the dealership take a look in the next days. Unless I see some deal breaking issue I'll probably go for it. Some people mentioned high fuel consumption but I don't travel that much and it's not a big deal to me, I currently spend like 2000b on fuel on my Avanza per month, I wouldn't mind spending another 1-2k.

Good luck, I hope you'll make the best decision.

For what it is worth, here is my take:

For the Car type crossovers, the X-Trail is very spacious and comfortable.  The CX-5 is smaller and more responsive, a lot nicer handling and no CVT.  The CRV is about mid way between. 

For the truck based SUV's, the Everest has impressive ride and very quiet.  Unfortunately it is also very heavy so fuel consumption suffers.  The Pajero is a bit of a boat but comfortable.  The Fortuner is midway between.  

The truck based SUV hold their value better but are more cumbersome in town.  For city driving, I would avoid the diesels if fitted with particle filters .  Not sure if the Thai models are fitted with these yet but Mazda and Toyota have had problems with these elsewhere.  

None of them are duds so pick what you like.  Wish you luck Farang FB, hope you are happy with your choice. 

I suspect that unless it's a lemon any 'mid-range' modern car offers 'satisfaction'... thats to stay it will never be awesome.

So, unless purchasing Merc, BMW, Audi, Volvo etc expectations of quality have to me managed to avoid disappointment - I don't think the Volvo-XC-60 can be compared to the Fortuna or Everest.

Thus in this mid-range I think anything you choose will be ok, it will never me the most amazing driving experience you've ever had - but it will tick the boxes, get you from A-B and be comfortable - thats all most of us expect from a car in Thailand because the costs involved with getting anything better than this are highly elevated. 

Thus your choice - CRV, Fortuna, CX-5 will all be ok. 

IMO: of these three the Fortuna is the most utilitarian and the CX-5 will offer the most premium feel. The CRV somewhere in the middle, not as nice or premium as the CX-5 but more utilitarian and more of a car feel than the Fortuna. 

2 hours ago, Jitar said:

For what it is worth, here is my take:

For the Car type crossovers, the X-Trail is very spacious and comfortable.  The CX-5 is smaller and more responsive, a lot nicer handling and no CVT.  The CRV is about mid way between. 

For the truck based SUV's, the Everest has impressive ride and very quiet.  Unfortunately it is also very heavy so fuel consumption suffers.  The Pajero is a bit of a boat but comfortable.  The Fortuner is midway between.  

The truck based SUV hold their value better but are more cumbersome in town.  For city driving, I would avoid the diesels if fitted with particle filters .  Not sure if the Thai models are fitted with these yet but Mazda and Toyota have had problems with these elsewhere.  

None of them are duds so pick what you like.  Wish you luck Farang FB, hope you are happy with your choice. 

I've read of some issues with the dpf in the mazda diesel range of vehicles. I think that's why a number of shops delete the dpf from these vehicles. Driving at low speeds in the city certainly doesn't help as the dpf temperature needs to get to 600 degreesC or so for regeneration to occur. If the OP spends most of their time driving in such situations, it may be better to get a petrol model. I may suggest the new x-trail 2.5 (or hybrid). 

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:46 PM, Kinnock said:

I wanted an Everest, wife wanted an X-Trail, so we compromised and bought an X-Trail.  ????

She was right.

The chassis in the truck based SUV's steals a lot of space and creates handling and ride compromises.  

18 months and many long trips later - still impressed with the X-Trail.

Not sure how the new 2.5 X-Trail compares to my 2.0 4x4 though?

I've found my X-Trail 4wd to be a nicer car to drive than my Fortuner 4 wd in most ways - both automatics. On a recent holiday trip to Ko Chang though, we found the boot of the X-Trail to be very limited compared to the 'spacious-throw-it-all-in' Fortuner's boot, and while the X-Trail was ok on the steep hills of Koh Chang, I'd be a bit worried how it would cope on such long hilly drives we've done in the past such as the big MaeHongSon loop, Phu Thap Buek, etc - I missed being able to shift in to first and second when I wanted to on an incline or decline. But if I had to chose between the two cars I'd go for the  X-Trail; it's a very nice car.

I've heard that the CRV Hybrid is coming later this year. The combination of both petrol and electric engines apparently makes it quite faster than the current models. 

If that model is really coming I'm definitely waiting for it.

I bought an oversized toyota 4x4 years ago. The car was great but would mever do it again. It was a constant nightmare, turning down alleys or even dirt roads, people leave just enough room to let a "normal" sized car through, but you wont fit. Not to mention parking and squeezing in tight spaces in traffic, making u turns etc. Total nightmare drive in Thailand I would never entertain one again. In fact they stopped importing the one i bought about a year after i got it, i could see why. That was why it sold so easy too though, the guy that wanted it could not buy it new anymore. 

2 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

I bought an oversized toyota 4x4 years ago. The car was great but would mever do it again. It was a constant nightmare, turning down alleys or even dirt roads, people leave just enough room to let a "normal" sized car through, but you wont fit. Not to mention parking and squeezing in tight spaces in traffic, making u turns etc. Total nightmare drive in Thailand I would never entertain one again. In fact they stopped importing the one i bought about a year after i got it, i could see why. That was why it sold so easy too though, the guy that wanted it could not buy it new anymore. 

What was your "oversized" Toyota 4x4..?

8 hours ago, FarangFB said:

I've heard that the CRV Hybrid is coming later this year. The combination of both petrol and electric engines apparently makes it quite faster than the current models. 

If that model is really coming I'm definitely waiting for it.

I think there are no changes to the current lineup until 2020. I've been told the hybrid may come in the 2022 model change. We are normally a few years behind Europe. 

Just an update here on the choices. It will most likely be a CRV when the hybrid one arrives, I'm really hoping for a 200+ combined hp and under 1.8M price tag.

The Mazda CX-5 is unfortunately not offered with a 3rd row of seats and remains as an unlikely 2nd choice along with the Volvo XC40.

I think I'll pass on the Fortuner, it's too big for small sois and I don't need all that size.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:56 AM, cheeryble said:

I'd suggest the larger vehicles youre looking at are too big and a pain to park, turn round etc etc.

They're made for the US aren't they where they have broader roads.

Also the Fortuner looks much the same as many moons ago.......when will they change the name/style?

If you like the Avanza I'd suggest a Toyota Sienta with the extras. The missus just got one without even telling me but it's quite sophisticated, 7 seats if required or tons of luggage and motorised sliding rear doors.

She paid 840k so you'll be able to also buy some other treat much nicer than a mere car.

Real nice car, brilliant third row sitting folds and stores under the second row sitting providing tones of boot space. Nice automatic sliding doors.I am only concerned about the 1.5 L  108 hp engine. I have a 1.5L 108 hp car right now that weighs 500 lbs  less than the Sienta and is adequate but add the extra 500 lbs of the Sienta and I am concerned.

After driving it for a while what do you thing about the engine size when loaded with people and or cargo?

Hi Sirineou!

My wife bought this car new without telling me on the never never (although thank god she took the minimum repayment period 4 years.)

I should have been furious but hey it was done, and to be fair she put some thought into it.

She purposely didn't get too big and I think she was thinking of my Parkinson's in future.......really easy access to the roomy middle row.

TO be honest I've only driven it a couple of times.

One was half way back from CR to CM and I had no complaints about power. Surprised it's so heavy though it does have a nice solid feel. Wife's done the CR run with seats full and she's a bit of a Stirling Moss.

ps I mentioned your housebuilding thread to someone posting to ask about building a house remotely.

I said you did it successfully but had building know how and a tight communication/feedback system via your wife and photos.....and that many might fail.

I've seen an article and read good reviews about the Kia Soul. There is a new version 2020 and there are loads of nice items and it the GT-Line turbo version has 200hp (0-100 in less than 7 seconds). This version in the US costs $27490 which is about the same as the CRV (1.4-1.7M baht here depending on the version)

This gets very interesting, but unfortunately is nowhere to be seen on the Kia Thailand website. Seems like the manufacturers in Thailand avoid bringing in any non snail-paced car that would cost under 2M baht.

What do you guys think, should I ever expect to see this car in the Thai market?

I did a test drive of the CX-5, I tried to do the CRV too but they didn't have one available.

The CX-5 is quite a step up from my Avanza in acceleration, luxury and equipment. However, I thought the CX-5 steering is quite heavy in comparison. I really liked that it comes with a nice bose sound system including a subwoofer.

I'm reading more about these cars and it's making me reconsider the CRV. Apparently the Thai version is lacking many items that should be offered in this price range, like front parking sensors, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, brake assist etc. Even the wife thought my concerns were reasonable and is now thinking the CX-5 isn't such a bad idea.

The seller at the showroom also said that the CX-5 Turbo is coming probably in October, so I might wait for that. It's a lot swifter and if they can keep this under 2M baht it would be a very interesting option. 

3 hours ago, FarangFB said:

I did a test drive of the CX-5, I tried to do the CRV too but they didn't have one available.

The CX-5 is quite a step up from my Avanza in acceleration, luxury and equipment. However, I thought the CX-5 steering is quite heavy in comparison. I really liked that it comes with a nice bose sound system including a subwoofer.

I'm reading more about these cars and it's making me reconsider the CRV. Apparently the Thai version is lacking many items that should be offered in this price range, like front parking sensors, adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, brake assist etc. Even the wife thought my concerns were reasonable and is now thinking the CX-5 isn't such a bad idea.

The seller at the showroom also said that the CX-5 Turbo is coming probably in October, so I might wait for that. It's a lot swifter and if they can keep this under 2M baht it would be a very interesting option. 

Why not look at the new accord? The 1.5 turbo (190HP) is 1.475 M baht - cheaper than the 2.4 crv petrol 5 seat. This is certainly much larger than the cx-5 for interior space. I have a crv diesel. I got that as where I drive can flood in the wet season. That's the main reason. If it didn't, I would have waited for the accord. 

http://www.headlightmag.com/spec-option-honda-accord-gen10-thailand-official/

7 hours ago, DavisH said:

Why not look at the new accord? The 1.5 turbo (190HP) is 1.475 M baht - cheaper than the 2.4 crv petrol 5 seat. This is certainly much larger than the cx-5 for interior space. I have a crv diesel. I got that as where I drive can flood in the wet season. That's the main reason. If it didn't, I would have waited for the accord. 

http://www.headlightmag.com/spec-option-honda-accord-gen10-thailand-official/

The Accord has some interesting numbers and price, but strays a bit too far from the initial idea (7 seater SUV).

Even the Mazda CX-5 isn't ideal because it has only 5 seats, but at least there is some space in the back to put some kids for short distances - not ideal but imo safer than travelling in the back of a truck like they are used to do.

I saw the data for the MG GS 2.0 Turbo AWD, and it's very interesting! 

Has more power (218hp) than all these other Toyota/Honda/Mazda/Nissan/Subaru cars, apparently has a very similar list of features and costs only 1.31M (about 300-400k less than the equivalent cars from Japanese brands).

Looking very good on paper, I'll try to get a test drive next week.

15 hours ago, FarangFB said:

I saw the data for the MG GS 2.0 Turbo AWD, and it's very interesting! 

Has more power (218hp) than all these other Toyota/Honda/Mazda/Nissan/Subaru cars, apparently has a very similar list of features and costs only 1.31M (about 300-400k less than the equivalent cars from Japanese brands).

Looking very good on paper, I'll try to get a test drive next week.

Take a look at the MG GS 1.5 turbo version as well then. 

On 5/25/2019 at 5:09 PM, DavisH said:

Take a look at the MG GS 1.5 turbo version as well then. 

Thanks, I went to test drive the MG GS and the 1.5 Turbo was the only one they had.

It's definitely faster than my Avanza, but I ran into another problem: the MG interior despite being a larger car,feels smaller than my Avanza, it lacks the 3rd seat row and the trunk is small. 

It's hard to make this choice, so far I have some deal breakers in every car:

- Honda CRV - low power on the existing models and I can not accept the fact that it lacks Adaptive Cruise control, emergency breaking and lane departure which the CRV in other countries has. At least give me the option to pay extra for it.

- Volvo XC40 - Lack of a Pattaya dealership and low resale value

- MG GS 2.0T - Small interior for a relatively large car, I'd rather keep my Avanza

- Toyota Fortuner, Ford Everest, Mitsubishi Pajero - all too big for small streets and lacking horsepower for their size. 

- Mazda CX-5 - this is what comes closest to what I'm looking for, but the salesperson told me that the turbo version comes in October, but I'm not 100% confident it will.

I will look at the Nissan options, apparently they have a Hybrid compact SUV that could work.

Archived