BANGKOK 25 April 2019 02:46
webfact

Delta charges US family thousands to let son elevate injured leg during flight

Delta charges family thousands to let son elevate injured leg during flight

Anders Hagstrom | Justice Reporter

screenshot_9050.jpg

Delta Airlines charged a U.S. family whose son was in need of urgent medical care more than $6,000 to fly to the U.S. after their vacation in Thailand was cut short when a motorcycle struck the young boy Saturday.

Bennett Davis, 5, requires care from a pediatric surgeon in the U.S. or risks long-term damage to his leg, which was severely injured in the accident, according to Tyler Davis, the boy’s uncle. Delta initially had the family booked for a flight, but a U.S.-based surgeon urged the family to wait for swelling to decrease before flying. The doctor also stressed the need for Bennett to elevate his leg during the flight, something that is impossible in economy class. Delta said that despite the medical emergency, an upgrade to first class reclining seats would cost $3,125 per ticket.

“To me, this isn’t because of the cost of the ticket,” Davis told The Daily Caller News Foundation. “This is about the morals and values of a company not willing to do what it takes to care for a customer in a horrible situation when there were things that could be done.”

Full story: https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/14/delta-injured-boy-leg/

-- Daily Caller 2019-2019-04-17

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

I had to fly with my leg elevated on a Qantas flight from Melbourne to Perth Qantas just had the seat in economy laid down in front of me so I was able to raise the leg,  2 economy seats did not add up to a first class seat,

The travel insurance  again rears its head, 'she be right never happen to me '

hope the young fella gets better, 

I  thought the airlines had the right to refuse to let a passenger board who was medically unfit for the flight?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 6

i wonder if all this publicity will convince them to lift their game?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Either it was a codeshare flight booked through Delta or it's a bogus story.

If anybody bothered to click the link to the story, it goes into an explanation.  

DELTA DILEMMA 

Family’s fury as Delta charges them £4.8k to fly home son with broken leg in Business Class – and the internet is divided

Tyler Davis claimed the airline refused to budge on the price despite the fact that his nephew needed medical treatment

By Kara Godfrey

screenshot_9056.jpg

A family has accused Delta of not helping after a family emergency

A FURIOUS uncle has blasted Delta for not offering his family cheaper flights home after his young nephew broke his leg in Thailand.

Tyler Davis wrote a series of messages on Twitter about the issue that's divided the internet.

Tyler's nephew broke his leg in Thailand after he was hit by a motorbike.

According to a series of tweets, Tyler's brother wanted to fly home early with his son for treatment with a paediatric orthopaedic surgeon and requested business class seats so the boy could keep his leg elevated in a bid to avoid blood clots.

Tyler accused Delta of leaving them abroad as they were unable to offer the father and son business class seats on a flight for less than £5,000.

Full story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/8874720/delta-airlines-passenger-furious-broken-leg/

-- The SUN 2019-2019-04-17