Foreign tourists told: Stop messing up our beautiful nature trail

webfact

Foreign tourists told: Stop messing up our beautiful nature trail

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Park officials in Krabi in southern Thailand have implored foreign tourists to stop daubing a scenic nature trail in graffiti. 

There are many examples of "I was here" and love type messages in foreign languages on the steps leading up Khao Ngon Nark hill.

They have been scratched on stone and a wooden staircase and are messing up the beautiful area. 

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A park official blamed copycats for the graffiti - once some people did it others followed. 

It was hard to monitor the area. 

There was also Thai writing at the scene, reported Sanook, though the park official who was not named singled out foreigners. 

The 500 meter trail leads up to a 360 degree viewpoint and is contained within the Nopparat Thara - Moo Koh Phi Phi national park area. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-17

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but nice trails where in Thailand? Even in the National Parks mostly everything is rotten down due of lek of maintenance!!!!!! And for that they charge 200-400 bath. I don't visit any NP in Thailand anymore and force friends visiting Thailand to stay away!!

This is terrible.  Thais people, even Thai youth, would never think of tagging pristine Thailand with graffiti.

Ok, and even should some wayward, foreigner influenced Thais tag a structure, everyone knows that Thais, especially Thai youth, are the salt of the Earth - just kids being kids; foreigners on the other hand are simply criminals.

images.jpeg.b3fbd6f14efcc98cb0b8123717325b87.jpeg

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

Take a ride round the side streets of Jomtien....Thai tagging everywhere, dont see that advertised or even worse never cleaned.

Same in CM.  Foreigners get the press (evil foreigners); Thais who are responsible for the lions share of the tagging, especially gangs, aren't discussed, don't get negative press (loss of face for Thais and Thailand in general), and are given a pass.  There is graffiti everywhere, but only foreign tagging is visible to kon Thai.  Thailand keeps beating that same drum: Foreigners bad, foreigners bad!  :dry:  It gets old.

5 minutes ago, bananafish said:

I'm from Ireland, when I see graffiti in the city I don't care much, when I see graffiti along nature trails it annoys me.

This is a concept I seem to share with Thai authorities, but completely boggles the minds of you lot. 

It annoys me too.  But graffiti is a phenomenon that is not based on race or country of origin.  The people who tag in parks and forests are simply discourteous jerks irregardless of their nationality.  But whenever the people and institutions of a country start redirecting blame for societies woes on foreigners and 'outsiders', it's simply an exercise in applied racism.  :dry:

16 minutes ago, bananafish said:

I'm from Ireland, when I see graffiti in the city I don't care much, when I see graffiti along nature trails it annoys me.

This is a concept I seem to share with Thai authorities, but completely boggles the minds of you lot. 

I'm from Norway, I feel the same as you.

I hate stupid tags anywhere, be it in the city and even more so in nature. Thai or English or Chinese, doesn't matter.
On the other hand, an artistic graffiti or murales, that's something else. But even that should reflect the place around it and most importantly, be approved by those who live there.

Graffiti is funny, because it is both art and rubbish.  If it lives to be "old"...it becomes a treasure.  Ancient cave paintings are graffiti...but treated like art and treasured.  Sweetheart carvings in that old tree from 30 years ago are endearing.  But if you catch someone doing it now....before it "ages" properly....lock them up!  I think the idea of city vs nature makes sense....city graffiti should be paint and colorful.  Graffiti in nature should be simple carvings.  But people express themselves....you can't stop it.  Every time you want to be annoyed by a clever tag...just think how much better it is than trash laying around.  Get worked up about rubbish...not graffiti.

12 hours ago, connda said:

It annoys me too.  But graffiti is a phenomenon that is not based on race or country of origin.  The people who tag in parks and forests are simply discourteous jerks irregardless of their nationality.  But whenever the people and institutions of a country start redirecting blame for societies woes on foreigners and 'outsiders', it's simply an exercise in applied racism.  :dry:

No tagging in NK????. I wonder why????? Could stiffen the penalty to 1yr hard labour, or caning,then enforce it....that would address the urge of selfish @ssh0les.

3 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

When you're out in nature, leave it the way you found it, or better...by taking some rubbish away.
Don't <deleted> carve or write on trees! 

I guess I disagree.  This isn't like knocking over some 2000 year old balanced boulder.  Trees are renewable like grass is.   And I think the ones that have 1000 signatures carved in them are still alive.  We change nature by building cities, farms, roads, houses, and even stepping while you hike.  Carving a few initials isn't that big a deal.  Much more important to focus on picking up trash, turn down your AC a few degrees, stop using plastic bags...etc.

11 minutes ago, a6patch said:

Graffiti is funny, because it is both art and rubbish.  If it lives to be "old"...it becomes a treasure.  Ancient cave paintings are graffiti...but treated like art and treasured.  Sweetheart carvings in that old tree from 30 years ago are endearing.  But if you catch someone doing it now....before it "ages" properly....lock them up!  I think the idea of city vs nature makes sense....city graffiti should be paint and colorful.  Graffiti in nature should be simple carvings.  But people express themselves....you can't stop it.  Every time you want to be annoyed by a clever tag...just think how much better it is than trash laying around.  Get worked up about rubbish...not graffiti.

I completely agree, some well done graffiti make me happy, more power to the street artists !

15 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

When you're out in nature...

I don't mean to harp on this, but I gotta add one more thing.  The "entire world" IS nature.  Just because some <deleted> from 500 years ago decided to build a city in spot A doesn't mean no one else for the rest of time can't do anything in spot B.  I'm all for conservation and deciding as a community not to do certain things in certain places, but lets not pretend that that "nature trail" you are following with your Google maps isn't MUCH more urban and traffic'd than any real natural place.

Sure the Thai's also tag they are worse etc. etc. etc. They always single out farangs and do not clean up their own house. Sure, but...

I am the first to rant at Thailand.

But a bunch of farang rascals with their baseball caps and stupid behaviour, making idiotic tags sometimes historic monuments or some stupid I love you messages in public space, what is the final result ?

It just adds more hostility towards the decent foreigners either living or visiting Thailand.

And this is not a debate if the Thais are better or worse or whatever. It about young/old farang rascals who are indisciplined, deserve a good trashing in jail before being sent back home and banned until they get some brains.

Now of course if Banksy was in the game with a piece of his artwork, he is welcome to start with my home!

Maybe they could do a street artists wall on pattaya beach, graffiti artists can compete for a prize to see who can do the best mural, like raw sewerage and turds floating in the water, chinese piss..g on the sand, rats running amok along the street wall,  oil haze in the water from the speedboat, sandless beach, or surprise prize for showing families picnicking and enjoying this family paradise beach resort.

1 minute ago, johng50 said:

Maybe they could do a street artists wall on pattaya beach, graffiti artists can compete for a prize to see who can do the best mural, like raw sewerage and turds floating in the water, chinese piss..g on the sand, rats running amok along the street wall,  oil haze in the water from the speedboat, sandless beach, or surprise prize for showing families picnicking and enjoying this family paradise beach resort.

Or you could do it like most of the world and try and be a bit inspirational and uplifting.  

For me it's down to a simple matter of respect. In my home I do what I want (wife permitting of course ???? ), but outside I prefer to show respect and minimize my impact. 
"Tagging" a park bench may still be better than smearing it with shit or burning it down, but it's still a selfish act that ruins it for all others. 

Archived