What is considered new money? How old is too old?

Longcut

I keep reading that it is best to travel with new 100 USD bills. Well, what is considered new? How old is too old. I have bills that I brought with me in 2016 and were new at the time. At least I had just gotten them from the bank before leaving for Thailand. They are still in excellent shape. They have been kept in a safe since arriving here. Would a money exchanger consider these bills too old now to exchange them for Thai baht? Also, I am planning on taking a trip to another Asian country. Would these bills suffice? I haven't exchanged any money since 2016. That is why I am asking. 

I remember changing some Thb into US $ for a trip to Cambodia.. All dollar notes were clean, free of marks and in pretty much mint condition.. Some were rejected in Cambodia for being too old.. I'm not quite sure how old, but there were posters displayed on what notes are and aren't accepted. I did eventually find a shop that would accept them however.. I'm talking smaller denomination notes, 10, 20 and 50 dollars.. 

The newest $100 bills came out towards the end of 2013 and have a visible strip down the middle.  I have exchanged "old" bills but sometimes I have had to try different places to get them accepted.

On 4/17/2019 at 10:43 AM, Lacessit said:

In good condition, I would expect the majority of money exchangers would accept them. From memory, it's the old British pound that can run into problems.

Gees I have an older British ten pound note, and I'm going there on Sept. Bang goes my fish supper when I land there late at night.????

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

bang goes my fish supper when I land there late at night.????

Yes you'll most likely have to change them at a bank...some shops/traders may still except them though they are not required to.

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

If they are the new 2013 designed bills, no issues. It is the older bills that are easier to counterfeit. 

The dollars they buy will then be sold to someone else. Exchangers don't want to buy older notes because people who want to buy dollars from them will want the newest version.

As a side remark ….,after 28 May209 new 100 & 200 € bills come out  ! Old ones keep valid , however depending the liking of the money exchangers to accept them ...

The European Central Bank (ECB) today unveiled the new notes of 100 and 200 euro. They are slightly smaller and need to be better protected against counterfeiting.

What the normal user the most will stand out: the notes are smaller (lower) than the older editions. The notes of 50, 100 and 200 are now as wide and can easily be sorted.

They would also need to fit better in purses, and therefore less quickly wear out. The length of the notes is unchanged: the longer a Bill, the more he's worth.

New security features

Who looks better, discovered a number of new security features. For example, on each note a emerald green rating in the bottom left corner and a hologram of a satellite next to the silver band.

According to the ECB there are security features that were not with the eye, there you have special equipment needed.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/pr/date/2018/html/ecb.pr180917.en.html

untitled.png

untitled2.png

Older 50€ notes are still widely acepted in Th for excange also by S-rich and the like. Same will happen with 1/200.

500€ notes will not be printed anymore, those in circulation (mostly not-in old bed pillows etc or in Russian mafia cases) remain valid for many years from now. Yes, that UK has a nasty habit of very often changing in short period old notes and even coins-often leading (same same for brexit aspirations) to mayhem. Though all old GBP-notes can be exchanged in current ones in the RBof E in London-I saw a Thai changing some 3000GBP of old 50 GBP notes there-student.

Oh-and longcut-if you are not US its useless changing into US$-if you want to avoid ATM and its fees, use own currency-even CAD and AUD will do nicely.

Archived