Video: "The police are coming!" Songkran violence in Pattaya

webfact

Video: "The police are coming!" Songkran violence in Pattaya

10pm.jpg

Video Screenshot

The Pattaya News reported that Thai and foreign tourists ran for cover as a group of 50 young Thai people fought and threw things in the Soi 7 and 8 Beer Bar areas. 

In a video people could be heard shouting that the police were coming and there were further cries of "chuay duay" (Help!).

pol.jpg

Video Screenshot

The tourists were worried about being hit by stray objects. 

The media said this all occurred at about 6 pm on Monday.

The police made a few arrests but most of the melee miscreants melted into the crowds. 

Pattaya celebrates Songkran longer than everywhere else - the water wars are expected to continue until Friday. 

Source: The Pattaya News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-17

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember on another post yesterday, one poster R==M--- defending Songkran in Pattaya, saying it was a great bit of Thai culture, real fun, and less boring than the western 'New Year' fireworks displays !

I'll stick with the pyrotechnics thanks Rob.

8 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

I remember on another post yesterday, one poster R==M--- defending Songkran in Pattaya, saying it was a great bit of Thai culture, real fun, and less boring than the western 'New Year' fireworks displays !

New Year celebrations in most countries that use alcohol usually involve a bit of violence. Songkran Pattaya brings drunks from around the world night after night and the violence per liter of alcohol consumed would be very low.

The Thais who work in these areas have a very high tolerance for drunken idiots and credit to them. 

500,000 people celebrating and the only incident is with a group of 15 year old boys.

Nothing much in this at all except for a squeaking bar girl.

i was down there last night and everyone was happily enjoying the festivities. It reminded me of the Summer of Love.

19 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

New Year celebrations in most countries that use alcohol usually involve a bit of violence. Songkran Pattaya brings drunks from around the world night after night and the violence per liter of alcohol consumed would be very low.

The Thais who work in these areas have a very high tolerance for drunken idiots and credit to them. 

500,000 people celebrating and the only incident is with a group of 15 year old boys.

i was down there last night and everyone was happily enjoying the festivities. It reminded me of the Summer of Love.

2 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Just a few skinny young teenagers. Boys will be boys.

Credit to the cops who were there and had the situation under control in less than minutes keeping everyone happy and safe.

This young boys have nothing to do in a beerbar soi 

Underage, probably on drugs, have knife 

All your posts is only about how fun this water wars are 

Are you blind or just a newbie 

2 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Credit to the cops who were there and had the situation under control in less than minutes keeping everyone happy and safe.

Boys will be boys,  until someone gets killed.  Just young hooligans taking advantage of the 'celebrations',  such as they are in that dump of a place. 

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Boys will be boys,  until someone gets killed.  Just young hooligans taking advantage of the 'celebrations',  such as they are in that dump of a place. 

Shhhh you can't say nasty things about Pattaya....its just clean family fun!

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The problem with the pyrotechnic on NYE is a lot of the strays dogs freak out and dash onto the road into oncoming vehicles, some just ran for their lives and lost their way back to their usual hunts. I much rather have some water wars at least then if humans wanna fight and kill each other let them. 

Typical Thai males, no matter what age they are, punch from behind their victims backs, kick them while they are on the ground, hunt and fight in packs, and run when challenged. (and not to mention hidden weapons which they will readily use ) just scum sums it all up.

3 hours ago, RobMuir said:

"violence per liter of alcohol consumed" - no one cares about your apologism, the town is full of idiots looking for fights, how many drinks they've had is not an excuse.

16 minutes ago, johng50 said:

Typical Thai males, no matter what age they are, punch from behind their victims backs, kick them while they are on the ground, hunt and fight in packs, and run when challenged. (and not to mention hidden weapons which they will readily use ) just scum sums it all up.

They'll give you a square fight in the ring, there are no rules on the street.

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

So where are you from. Lets do a quick google search of violence in your home town at new years. 

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

makes 2 of us

2 hours ago, bangkoken said:

Such a lovely well run family oriented city. Where 'Happy Hour' starts at 7am at most bars. Always a great time in this hellhole.

Happy hour lasts until 7am the following morning !

4 hours ago, RobMuir said:

I'd guess that is was something that spilled over from the beach.  There is no shortage of youth gangs in the area and perhaps a couple of such gangs happened upon one another on Beach Rd or the beach itself..   If it had been planned you can be sure there would have been weapons showing.

4 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Of course, a group of 50 skinny young teenagers could never be violent, throw things that could cause serious injuries, use concealed weapons, etc...  The old adage of boys will be boys, is sadly gone, along with the sanity of a time gone by.

Archived