Video: "The police are coming!" Songkran violence in Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

the town is full of idiots looking for fights, 

And only very occasionally do they find one.

Are you another who is very familiar with Pattaya because you've read about it?

24 minutes ago, maccastime said:

Probably another 7 days to go yet??? Good time to stay in doors for two weeks and watch the box while all these idiots give Pattaya a bad name ???? 

Pattaya gives Pattaya a bad name. In fact it gives the whole of Thailand a bad name. 

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I remember on another post yesterday, one poster R==M--- defending Songkran in Pattaya, saying it was a great bit of Thai culture, real fun, and less boring than the western 'New Year' fireworks displays !

I'll stick with the pyrotechnics thanks Rob.

I just got back to Bangkok from Pattaya and had a great week on soi buckhao and beach road. The Thai kids, teenagers  and Thai adults were very nice with the water. The only problem is the tourist adult  men that like to hit you hard in the face with water and in the back of the head with a bucket of water. Especially the India groups of males that I hope do not keep returning  to Pattaya. 

Will go to Khon Kaen for Songkran  next year But IMO Pattaya gets a bad reputation from guys that post on here with an anti Pattaya agenda or guys who no longer desire sex. Best restaurants at the best prices are in Pattaya, alcohol is cheap, gold is cheap and plentiful,  ladies are available and not expensive and nice to exercise along the beach.  

Most of the expats in Pattaya IMO are more down to earth nice guys and it seems like the male tourists are the problem. But if you don’t like Pattaya then fine not for everyone. But some of you guys just love to berate and criticize Thailand and thankfully Pattaya has a lot of happy expats that enjoy their life and don’t spend a lot of their day and nights complaining and being miserable.  

3 hours ago, bangkoken said:

Such a lovely well run family oriented city. Where 'Happy Hour' starts at 7am at most bars. Always a great time in this hellhole.

One wonders how much of the city you've ever seen. Beach Rd and Walking street are a very small part of the city and far from typical.

Where I'm staying it's deadly quiet most of the day and even more so after sundown. Small kids with their mothers or older siblings come out for a walk at evening when it's a bit cooler.  If you listen carefully you can hear the grass growing.

Always amusing when visitors head straight for the seediest part of town intentionally and then get their petticoats ruffled when they don't find kiddie wading pools or clowns handing out balloons.

470188588_oldladies.jpg.698f9f2e6afcefbea410d34c9ac84baa.jpg

"It's a hellhole but we come every year just  for the bingo."

I've seen bar managers or bouncers break up fights between Thais a couple of times in Walking street ( over 10 years) . Trouble is not good news for their business. Nothing heavy just a clip around the ear and then they are told to sod off. I'm guessing most of the bars are well connected somewhere along the line. Maybe not so so much in the 7/8 Sois.

This thread looks like one of those invitations for Pattaya bashing by people who've never visited here. I'm not going to read this thread but I will have a little say in support of my favourite place in Thailand. After travelling around the country I figured that all the places I visited were just too boring, smog bound or out on a limb. I figured that the only place I'd be happy here would be living just down the coast from Pattaya so as to have the best of both city and country living. Where I live is very quiet, on the edge of a golf course, ten minutes from the beach and a thirty minute drive into Pattaya. You see, not many settled, married farang live in central Pattaya, but it's good place for entertainment and shopping. Songkran, I agree, is a bad time in Pattaya that's why I don't go near the place for a week or so every April. It's the only place in this country I'd consider living, by far. Right then, enjoy your bashing session.

13 minutes ago, jesimps said:

This thread looks like one of those invitations for Pattaya bashing by people who've never visited here. I'm not going to read this thread but I will have a little say in support of my favourite place in Thailand. After travelling around the country I figured that all the places I visited were just too boring, smog bound or out on a limb. I figured that the only place I'd be happy here would be living just down the coast from Pattaya so as to have the best of both city and country living. Where I live is very quiet, on the edge of a golf course, ten minutes from the beach and a thirty minute drive into Pattaya. You see, not many settled, married farang live in central Pattaya, but it's good place for entertainment and shopping. Songkran, I agree, is a bad time in Pattaya that's why I don't go near the place for a week or so every April. It's the only place in this country I'd consider living, by far. Right then, enjoy your bashing session.

Bang Saray  Sattahip, baan Amphur, Id rather be banged up than live that area....five years drove me crazy,

5 hours ago, Cranky said:

No different to the average Brit wedding or football scrap.  A few beers = bit of horseplay = slight disagreement between tribes = bit of a tear-up.  No biggie.

Impressive!  Brit behavior = Thai behavior.  Ok!  

Didn't know that.  Thanks for educating me/us.

This type of violence is going to become just part of Pattaya Songkran. Fifty boys with their drinks and bragging to each other the fun they had. It'll happen more and next time people will be hurt. You can count on that. I just wonder if it'll be Friday or next year.

Various posts removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

18 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Boys will be boys,

They are just as capable of doing a person a life changing or ending injury, and possibly more likely. They have been brought up completely devoid of a sense of responsibility or restriction. 

12 hours ago, dallen52 said:

To all those getting too many soakings in pattaya. 

I'm back in Australia for a few weeks. 

They don't know when enough is enough. 

Dirty water.

Ice.

Bucket fulls over the head.

Really spoils it.

Too much, too long.

Oh, they know. They're doing it because it's a freepass to be an <deleted>. Had one guy poor water directly onto my phone, literally aiming for it.

18 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

"violence per liter of alcohol consumed" - no one cares about your apologism, the town is full of idiots looking for fights, how many drinks they've had is not an excuse.

I disagree. The town is more full of people looking for love.

19 hours ago, johng50 said:

Typical Thai males, no matter what age they are, punch from behind their victims backs, kick them while they are on the ground, hunt and fight in packs, and run when challenged. (and not to mention hidden weapons which they will readily use ) just scum sums it all up.

Dear me, all I saw in the video was a bunch of kids mouthing off at each other, 

one or 2 may need to go out and buy more flip flops, but no real hint of life altering

injuries.

4 hours ago, PEE TEE said:

not good . BUT nowhere near as bad as England there you get stabbed . It needs the Thai police over there 

here we go again, someone thinking UK is worse than thailand, just because you dont see stabbings and shootings in english news during songkran does that mean it does not happen? in thai news there is full or stabbings and shootings, every time there is an crime article brits or others always mention London or UK being really bad. do people always just write without knowing facts? 

thailand population - 67 million people - 3,000 - 4,000 murders. (estimated 3,000 of the murders was gun murder)

UK population - 66 million people - 700 - 800 murders.

Archived