Video: "The police are coming!" Songkran violence in Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

i think pattaya is doing songkran last and longer than other parts of the country.if you like songkran then go for it,but i imagine even thais will not do it everyday,except if you work in the bar.

It seems to move Southwards down the seaboard. Yesterday was Naklua, today Pattaya and Jomtiem and tomorrow up around Bang Saray. 

On 4/17/2019 at 7:38 AM, johng said:

It'll be worst on the 19th..normally the real guns (not water pistols) come out to play on that day.

Good I did leave on the 18th. Water with ice cubes are close enough to real guns.

On 4/17/2019 at 5:03 AM, Thaiwrath said:

I remember on another post yesterday, one poster R==M--- defending Songkran in Pattaya, saying it was a great bit of Thai culture, real fun, and less boring than the western 'New Year' fireworks displays !

I'll stick with the pyrotechnics thanks Rob.

yea cuz theres never any fighting in the new year in the western world!

Was in the middle of a major cat fat at about 17:00 hrs. One well lubricated broad got her lips a flapping and was soon jumped upon by 3 other drunk women. Then one phuchai tried to stop it. Then 5 more thai guys jumped on the one guy that tried to shut up his drunk old lady. Anyway from there it went down hill. Kind of ruined my fun as I went to protect the 3 kids and wife that were with me. 

On 4/17/2019 at 6:19 AM, RobMuir said:

New Year celebrations in most countries that use alcohol usually involve a bit of violence. Songkran Pattaya brings drunks from around the world night after night and the violence per liter of alcohol consumed would be very low.

The Thais who work in these areas have a very high tolerance for drunken idiots and credit to them. 

500,000 people celebrating and the only incident is with a group of 15 year old boys.

Nothing much in this at all except for a squeaking bar girl.

i was down there last night and everyone was happily enjoying the festivities. It reminded me of the Summer of Love.

So you really think this was the Only incident or violence in pattaya? Not all fights is reported to police or published in news, in thai news i saw 4 shot same incident and Today or yesterday 4 stabbed 

On 4/17/2019 at 4:13 PM, rott said:

And only very occasionally do they find one.

Are you another who is very familiar with Pattaya because you've read about it?

I used to live there, not any more, too many agro foreigners for my liking.  As for fights being very occasional, I saw more in Pattaya than anywhere else in Thailand.

On 4/23/2019 at 11:22 AM, Kieran00001 said:

I used to live there, not any more, too many agro foreigners for my liking.  As for fights being very occasional, I saw more in Pattaya than anywhere else in Thailand.

I have been going to pattaya for 7 years - I never seen one fight. For the amount of drunk people it is a very safe place compared to western cities on a saturday night

1 hour ago, dreaming said:

I have been going to pattaya for 7 years - I never seen one fight. For the amount of drunk people it is a very safe place compared to western cities on a saturday night

Well I have been there longer and certainly seen a fight or three (dozen). I agree that considering the alcohol that gets consumed, they are surprisingly few. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 11:19 AM, RobMuir said:

New Year celebrations in most countries that use alcohol usually involve a bit of violence. Songkran Pattaya brings drunks from around the world night after night and the violence per liter of alcohol consumed would be very low.

The Thais who work in these areas have a very high tolerance for drunken idiots and credit to them. 

500,000 people celebrating and the only incident is with a group of 15 year old boys.

Nothing much in this at all except for a squeaking bar girl.

i was down there last night and everyone was happily enjoying the festivities. It reminded me of the Summer of Love.

Thousands of accidents and injuries happen. People get sprayed who dont want to be soaked which is an incitement to violence. People dont stop at the correct time.  It starts too early and finishes too late. It's an ugly violent festival. 

On 4/25/2019 at 10:38 AM, dreaming said:

This might be true but not during songkran. Hurling buckets of water over motor cycle riders is dangerous and violence. Songkran brings the bullies crawling out of the woodwork.

Archived