Can i migrate to Thailand and stay with my gay partner if he has a work permit

My partner has been living in Bangkok for past 6yrs, and i in South Africa. He is almost done with his BA then will be granted a work permit. With the new Gay civil union bill being adopted will it be possible for me to join him in Thailand under his work permit? I also have a 13yr old son who i want to bring along. Once there i plan on studying for my BA as well

I am not sure what your asking exactly .....  you can join him and stay together however, the recent civil union bill passed is only for Thai nationalities.

So it's only a bill that recognisers Thai marriage to a Thai .....  not foreigner.

So I doubt his work permit will have any bearing on you .... the permit is only for him allowing him to work in the kingdom.

At this time there have been no changes done to the immigrations requirements to allow for a civil union. 

If you enroll in a university you could get an extension of stay for attending classes.

You son could get extensions based upon attending school. If he did that you could get an extension based upon being his father if you could show 500k baht in a Thai bank for 30 days (first extension and then 90 days after that).

• Like 1

As I understand it the Civil Union bill has been proposed, but has not yet been voted into law.  If I'm incorrect, I would appreciate someone posting a link to information on it being passed into law.

Also, based on the articles I have seen regarding the proposed law, it will grant only certain privileges such as right to inherit, to same sex couples, but not all the rights of marriage, which would include allowing gay foreigners to obtain long stay status based on a civil union.  Likewise, a Thai and foreigner could enter into a civil union under the proposed law, but not foreigner and foreigner.