Manhunt launched for American over ‘seastead’ fiasco

webfact

Manhunt launched for American over ‘seastead’ fiasco

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1555484164_1-org.jpg

American Chad Elwartowski and his Thai partner Supranee ‘Nadia’ Thepdet are now wanted by the Thai military and the police for threeatening national security over a ‘seastead’ built 42 kilometres south of Phuket. Photo: Chad Elwartowski Facebook public profile photo

PHUKET: Phuket officials this morning confirmed that they are now searching for American Chad Elwartowski, whose permit to stay in Thailand has been revoked and is now wanted on criminal charges filed by the Royal Thai Navy.

The news came after an urgent meeting called this morning to discuss the issue of the seastead south of Phuket that the Royal Thai Navy has now filed a criminal complaint against, and is moving to have destroyed.

Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana initially ejected reporters from the meeting, attended by Vice Governor Supoj Rotreuang Na Nongkhai along with officers from the Phuket Provincial Police, Phuket Marine Office, Phuket Immigration Police, the Royal Thai Army, and the Phuket Public Prosecutor’s Office, among others.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/manhunt-launched-for-american-over-seastead-fiasco-71121.php#EBvGozfQiLx6pUlq.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-04-17

So the guy just stayed there for a few weeks for an alternate experience. He didn’t have anything to do with it’s construction or funding of its construction... and now he’s hunted  blacklisted. It seems that the authorities have misunderstood the circumstances, but admitting that is out of the question I guess... dinosaurs do think rather slowly.

• Like 2

Isn't there a 12 Miles zone as per international maritime law?

41 minutes ago, rumak said:

criticising Thailand and its current leaders for being a “dictatorship” and a tyranny”.

That is off cause a bit stupid of the American guy.

In my opinion Thailand provides him with the hospitality to live here and when things go the wrong way he talks bad about the government. Sure not to say thank you for let me be part of the country. 

If he would have chosen a more diplomatic wording there would be sure some ears in the Thai Government listening to some possible opportunities that would benefit also the Thai People and the Country.

If somebody approaches me that rude I would think the same, get rid of him... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if it's 12 miles off shore why is it anything to do with thailand, i think that's international waters

1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea

• Territorial waters, or a territorial sea, as defined by the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, is a belt of coastal waters extending at most 12 nautical miles (22.2 km; 13.8 mi) from the baseline (usually the mean low-water mark) of a coastal state.

4 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

if it's 12 miles off shore why is it anything to do with thailand, i think that's international waters

1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea

• Territorial waters, or a territorial sea, as defined by the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, is a belt of coastal waters extending at most 12 nautical miles (22.2 km; 13.8 mi) from the baseline (usually the mean low-water mark) of a coastal state.

It's in Thailand's Exclusive Economic Zone, meaning they have some claim. 

An interestng question for this case would be, what if a foreigner wasn't involved?  What if a Thai had built it?

I see 2 options, try and get a lift/make a getaway  on a yacht, but no doubt the rozzers will be on the lookout for that, or make contact with the US embassy and get the diplomatic elements involved, we know that always goes down well...... haha

46 minutes ago, Nsp64 said:

So enlighten us captain smug.

If you can stop condescending long enough, share your wisdom with us dumb mortals

Its General Smug to you. And if you have to ask, well then.....

If he can get away with it, He could make a fortune by building more and renting them out or selling them, I think many people would like a couple of weeks stay on something like this, passing boats would call in to visit. Maybe this is a test run and if he gets away with it his real intention might be to build a billion dollar resort with boats and sea planes to take guests to nearby countries. I think he is just someone thinking out side of the box. Imagine being able to build resorts around the world without having to buy land or be under government control and Tax's. I think he would get a lot of investors. I can see why Thailand is scared of this possibility of opposition tourist resort

If this idiot is coming to Thailand and criticizing the government, well, that's just plain stupid.  They need to arrest him, get the US Embassy involved, figure out what he really said....and then deport.  If you do this in America, no worries, different country, different rules.   

farangs usually drink, bars, drink, bars, jump off roof... ok, ok, no problem

this guys is crying out for help anyhow....  

An off topic defamatory post has been removed:

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

Edit:  A post containing a link to a foreign language news site has been removed as this is an English language forum. English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed. 

Edited by metisdead