BANGKOK 21 May 2019 21:29
webfact

Manhunt launched for American over ‘seastead’ fiasco

Manhunt launched for American over ‘seastead’ fiasco

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1555484164_1-org.jpg

American Chad Elwartowski and his Thai partner Supranee ‘Nadia’ Thepdet are now wanted by the Thai military and the police for threeatening national security over a ‘seastead’ built 42 kilometres south of Phuket. Photo: Chad Elwartowski Facebook public profile photo

PHUKET: Phuket officials this morning confirmed that they are now searching for American Chad Elwartowski, whose permit to stay in Thailand has been revoked and is now wanted on criminal charges filed by the Royal Thai Navy.

The news came after an urgent meeting called this morning to discuss the issue of the seastead south of Phuket that the Royal Thai Navy has now filed a criminal complaint against, and is moving to have destroyed.

Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana initially ejected reporters from the meeting, attended by Vice Governor Supoj Rotreuang Na Nongkhai along with officers from the Phuket Provincial Police, Phuket Marine Office, Phuket Immigration Police, the Royal Thai Army, and the Phuket Public Prosecutor’s Office, among others.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/manhunt-launched-for-american-over-seastead-fiasco-71121.php#EBvGozfQiLx6pUlq.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-04-17

Totally unrelated, but both of them are heavily Photoshopped in the picture. 

I would love to know what the nature of the threat that this small house posed to national security. 

• Confused 1

So the guy just stayed there for a few weeks for an alternate experience. He didn’t have anything to do with it’s construction or funding of its construction... and now he’s hunted  blacklisted. It seems that the authorities have misunderstood the circumstances, but admitting that is out of the question I guess... dinosaurs do think rather slowly.

• Like 2

Isn't there a 12 Miles zone as per international maritime law?

41 minutes ago, rumak said:

criticising Thailand and its current leaders for being a “dictatorship” and a tyranny”.

That is off cause a bit stupid of the American guy.

In my opinion Thailand provides him with the hospitality to live here and when things go the wrong way he talks bad about the government. Sure not to say thank you for let me be part of the country. 

If he would have chosen a more diplomatic wording there would be sure some ears in the Thai Government listening to some possible opportunities that would benefit also the Thai People and the Country.

If somebody approaches me that rude I would think the same, get rid of him... 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Who knew you could get the death penalty for staying at an alternative guesthouse out in the middle of the ocean. Go figure.

Edited by frozenpuck
  • Haha 1