Manhunt launched for American over ‘seastead’ fiasco

webfact

20 hours ago, steve2112 said:

if it's 12 miles off shore why is it anything to do with thailand, i think that's international waters

1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea

• Territorial waters, or a territorial sea, as defined by the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, is a belt of coastal waters extending at most 12 nautical miles (22.2 km; 13.8 mi) from the baseline (usually the mean low-water mark) of a coastal state.

It's 15 nautical miles or 28km southeast of Racha Yai island. But Racha Yai is about 15km southeast of the southern tip of Phuket called Promthep Cape.
Read https://www.thephuketnews.com/navy-takes-action-on-seastead-off-phuket-71099.php#btGhx5m6mXxvfF3Q.99

So "as the crow flies," about 26 miles southeast of Phuket?

I didn't expect them to allow the structure to stay out there, even in international waters, but the current response seems over-the-top.  You'd think this guy had kidnapped and raped the daughters of the Thai elite.  Cut the lines, tow it back to shore, and the point is made.  Nobody else is going to set up a 'seastead' along your coast. 

However, I do expect that this will eventually gravitate to international court.  "International Waters" either are truly international or they are not.  When monied interests get involved, then the issue of setting legal precedence will need to be clear.  Until then?  Might is Right!

This news is now international, and once again the Thai army is the laughing stock of planet earth. Can you imagine these guys in an actual conflict of some sort? Why such an overwrought response to something so small? A national security issue? Really? Is that truly the best you guys can come up with? Do you realize how foolish and weak you appear to everyone?

It is said that they are well over 12 nautical miles offshore. A well established international precedent. So, why is the army doing this? Once again, they are demonstrating that they are above the law. Any laws. Part of what makes them so intolerable. 

This is just another reason why the Thai people need to figure out a way to get rid of the army. Hard to beleive those incompetents are actually leading the nation. It does not bode well for the future of this country.

Woe are the Thai people under the yoke of these oppressive and totally feckless rulers.    

Edited by spidermike007

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

This is just another reason why the Thai people need to figure out a way to get rid of the army. Hard to beleive those incompetents are actually leading the nation. It does not bode well for the future of this country.

Woe are the Thai people under the yoke of these oppressive and totally feckless rulers.    

Dude you have been spouting the same meaningless slogans for months. We get it, You hate the Thai army and the Junta. Your comments about them are duly noted. They dont care what you say. Nor do the Thai people. Nor I reckon, do most of us. 

So why continue? To hear yourself pontificate?

4 hours ago, Bipolar said:

Instead of saying that the thai authorities are in the wrong, ask them to see what would happened if they tried the same say in other countries like Singapore, India, China, USA, Canada, Australia , Britain, Germany etc...you think that they will not face adverse reactions from the authorities there????? Are some of you saying the the US or British or Australian Governments will welcome them with open arms. Get Real! Some of these farangs really think that all of us thais are stupid.

Only know germany as i am german, but for sure not much would have happened lol. There's stuff like Sealand who had beef with the UK and other countries since forever and no one really gives a <deleted>... military intervention would be extemely unlikely...

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude you have been spouting the same meaningless slogans for months. We get it, You hate the Thai army and the Junta. Your comments about them are duly noted. They dont care what you say. Nor do the Thai people. Nor I reckon, do most of us. 

So why continue? To hear yourself pontificate?

No. Because it is the truth. Some see it, and some do not. Are you saying you approve of their job performance?

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No. Because it is the truth. Some see it, and some do not. Are you saying you approve of their job performance?

I honestly dont care and your constant screeching about it is enough to make me care less. Their country, their rules

8 hours ago, Bipolar said:

Instead of saying that the thai authorities are in the wrong, ask them to see what would happened if they tried the same say in other countries like Singapore, India, China, USA, Canada, Australia , Britain, Germany etc...you think that they will not face adverse reactions from the authorities there????? Are some of you saying the the US or British or Australian Governments will welcome them with open arms. Get Real! Some of these farangs really think that all of us thais are stupid.

I'm  in  two minds  about  that.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:12 AM, lemonjelly said:

So the guy just stayed there for a few weeks for an alternate experience. He didn’t have anything to do with it’s construction or funding of its construction... and now he’s hunted  blacklisted. It seems that the authorities have misunderstood the circumstances, but admitting that is out of the question I guess... dinosaurs do think rather slowly.

Yes and the criticism against Thailand was from the Ocean company site not from the guy or his wife which they apparently had little to nothing to do with the place.  It is not clear that they stayed their or for how long.  Anyway, it is in International waters and Thailand has no jurisdiction there.  But of course might makes right sometimes, and the Thais certainly seem intent on pursuing him.

• 10 months later...