Latest Retirement Extension a Warning .

The rollout of these visa rule changes especially when combined with the embassy letter cutoffs has simply been BRILLIANT! Bravo! :stoner:

Totally seamless! No confusion whatsoever! The world standard in clear communications! 

Retired expats can sleep soundly at night knowing they live in the best of all possible worlds in efficient and clear visa rule enforcement. Amen!

Edited by Jingthing

On 4/22/2019 at 11:43 AM, Jingthing said:

It needs to be imported monthly into a Thai bank account.

That's monthly. Around a similar date in the month.

One baht under 65K in any month -- FAIL

Any month missed and doubled up later -- FAIL

Showing back 12 full months except there is an order saying to give leniency this first year, but in practice leniency not always given -- POSSIBLE FAIL

Recent report from KRABI immigration office, only embassy letters accepted even if your embassy doesn't give them, otherwise 800K bank method only. May well be OTHER offices as well.  -- POSSIBLE FAIL

There have been reports that some offices seeing the imports are demanding to see proof that the money imported is actually PENSION money. In other words, a person might be importing 50K and adding another 15K on top for the monthly import. If proof of pension source demanded, he could only prove 50K, not 65K. --

POSSIBLE FAIL

Yet, again, we're in the ONEROUS zone. We're now in NO FLEXIBILITY zone. We're even in some offices totally ignoring the national rules zone (see above).

Bottom line -- the surest of the surest things in this radically changed environment is using the 800K in the bank method. The massively changed 800K bank method now requiring seasoning ALL YEAR LONG, before and after, with a permanent NEVER TOUCH lockup of 400K. 

Let's not sugarcoat it. 

But that's not the answers i have been given by immigration, or on the official paperwork supplied by immigration

There is NO requirement for 65,000 every month, only for income , plus funds, to total 800,00

This can be 12 months, 6 months, can be 65,000, 30,000 , as long as it totals 800,00 at the end of the year

Check out the immigration rules on here, nowhere does it state any sum of money, other than 800,00 at the end of the year

No need for embassy papers, no need to show international transfers, only to show payments into the bank that total, over the year, 800,00

The problem is with the wording on section 5 which states money Must be in the bank as per section 4

Which if taken correctly, means you MUST have 800,00 in the bank for 2 or 3 months ( depending on your office) and also for 3 months after, with no spending allowed

But i have to go back in another month and ask again to see if they then know what they are talking about , because today, they admitted they did not know the rules 

2 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

But that's not the answers i have been given by immigration, or on the official paperwork supplied by immigration

There is NO requirement for 65,000 every month, only for income , plus funds, to total 800,00

This can be 12 months, 6 months, can be 65,000, 30,000 , as long as it totals 800,00 at the end of the year

Check out the immigration rules on here, nowhere does it state any sum of money, other than 800,00 at the end of the year

No need for embassy papers, no need to show international transfers, only to show payments into the bank that total, over the year, 800,00

The problem is with the wording on section 5 which states money Must be in the bank as per section 4

Which if taken correctly, means you MUST have 800,00 in the bank for 2 or 3 months ( depending on your office) and also for 3 months after, with no spending allowed

But i have to go back in another month and ask again to see if they then know what they are talking about , because today, they admitted they did not know the rules 

If you're talking about the full income method, you are just WRONG.

The rule is as I stated for the full 65K monthly income method.

On the combo method, that's another matter. Talk to 10 officers and some won't be able to help you at all, and others will give different stories.

That said, there might be a miscommunication here because I'm really not sure what you're talking about.

Again -- full income method, monthly imports of at least 65K, that's it. 

On 4/21/2019 at 8:41 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Always was 3 months for second and subsequent extension. When did it change?

I was once threatened by an IO that didn't know what a TM 28 was.

yup, i got fined 500 baht for being one day late with the money in the bank

But she still denied it was now, 2 months, not 3 months, even when i showed her on her official paperwork that they asked me to sign as part of the visa  renewal application

Even they don't know, or understand the rules, but refuse to answer when i said if YOU don't know, how am i supposed to know !

On 4/21/2019 at 8:55 AM, WorriedNoodle said:

I suppose any certified correct document that states 'balance must be no less than THB 400,00 or;" can lead us to hope for no better. 

But read section 5, if going down the income route

No less than 400,00, at any time, as per section 4

MUST total no less than 800,00 at the end of the year, and the said fund Must remain in the bank prior to, and after, the visa has been approved

So according to the wording, its almost the same is the money in the bank system

No stating 12 months transfers. can be any . No stating 65,00 can be any amount, AS Long as it totals 800,00

BUT it states it must remain in the bank, so no spending as before ??

MUST total no less than 800,00 at the end of the year, and the said fund Must remain in the bank prior to, and after, the visa has been approved
So according to the wording, its almost the same is the money in the bank system
No stating 12 months transfers. can be any . No stating 65,00 can be any amount, AS Long as it totals 800,00
OK you're talking about the combo method. Visit your local office for clarification. You absolutely can't rely on national written rules for the combo method.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 4/18/2019 at 4:02 PM, MickeyDelux said:

I really feel bad for these poor folks who have so many problems with the immigration laws. They undoubtedly have few options and are barely able to understand the rules Thailand has put in place let alone follow them.

So do I

Not sure how they get there jobs in immigration, but its certainly not based on intelligence

They have had months to learn the new rules, but still cannot understand them or explain the applicants exactly what they need to do

1 minute ago, Joinaman said:

It is completely ambiguous. Section 5 states "annual earning and fund ... totalling no less than 800K until filing date".  Then.. "the said fund must remain in the account ... make withdraw as per clause 4".  Note: they do not say the said earning and fund.  Clause 4 may apply just to the funds, not earnings being deposited. 

But, it is too ambiguous to work with.

Such a document would never pass muster in a court of law, it is ambiguous.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 11:12 PM, marcusarelus said:

You can touch it all you want.  You can take it out.  You can leave it in.  Up to you.  There are many ways to live in Thailand.  One method is income another is a 2 year Visa from your home country with no money in Thai banks.  If you choose the 800/400k method you must leave the money in the bank but at all times it is under your control.  The variable is the visa/extension. 

how can i get a 2 year visa from the uk ????

You can't. If you're from the UK you can get a one year OA visa there which can be stretched to almost two years by leaving Thailand and returning before the end of it. But you'll need a police report and medical form.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As JT has said, Marcus is talking about the OA one year multi entry visa available in your home country ( or where you have permanent residence ), which, if used wisely, can give you nearly 2 years and the financial requirements ( equivalents of 800k or 65k) can be in your own countries bank.

A good option to avoid the current financial requirements in a Thai bank.

Medical required( can be done in Thailand or home country )

Home country police record check required.

Available for over 50’s.

London Thai Embassy is undergoing some changes to application for OA ( including some online requirements ) but this won’t happen until May .