Latest Retirement Extension a Warning .

Didn't read all, but yeah, she's right if this isn't your first extension.  I know as I just did my first retirement extension last month, after several years of married ones.  Seasoning was 2 months, not 3.  Will be 3 next year the second time around.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Thailand said:

Thai Immigration clamps down on requirements for Retirement visas | News by The Thaiger

As a matter of interest, anyone left that qualify under the rules at the bottom? 21 consecutive extensions?

I point out item (3)  "Must have evidence of having income of no less than 65,000 Thai baht

This does not explicitly state "monthly" but I think we all know that is what they meant.

The rules for proving or showing one has 65,000 monthly are nutty in my opinion at the moment.  I could produce a ton of income statements from my Home bank, dividends, interest, from my investments.  But that doesn't mean I want to transfer those to Thailand on any regular basis.  I don't want to incur transfer fees, setup arrangements with Thai banks etc. 

I

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Four mentions 3 months twice. Once on line 2 and again on line 5.

image.png.1d0bf781a89b1e08c2707fdba66c28ec.png

It also states in writing that the balance must not be less than B400 or perhaps B40,000 but does not state B400,000. This amendment is not on the Immigration Div. 1 web site that has not been updated since 2015, no wonder there is confusion. Is there another immigration web site operating in parallel to the one we normally use?

Edited by Estrada

12 hours ago, Somchai Scotland said:

After reading so many posts on here regarding this subject what I have in my head is that it is 2 months for first time applicants then subsequent renewals (2nd extension the following year) is 3 months.

Thanks for the information.

In Nong Khai, at the moment. 

I have been told Jomtiem, 2 months prior works.

I look forward to hearing from the OP as to whether he will be required to show the money on deposit after the application is approved. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Didn't read all, but yeah, she's right if this isn't your first extension.  I know as I just did my first retirement extension last month, after several years of married ones.  Seasoning was 2 months, not 3.  Will be 3 next year the second time around.

Hi 55Jay,

might I ask why you changed form marriage to retirement please?

11 hours ago, sfokevin said:

It would be nice to have a printed copy of these new orders with the Thai & English in two columns side by side to take to immigration as reference so one could point out the Thai version to them to help clarify... Is there such a .pdf available?

i visited Phuket immigration and asked about this and they gave me a print out showing the info about 2 months in english and thai
I than asked him to sign it above the 2 months in English just in case  ????

19 hours ago, khastan said:

So this morning I obtained the two letters from the Bangkok Bank. Less than an hour ago I arrived at Nong Khai immigration with all the necessary paperwork. After perusing this carefully the immigration officer pointed at the date I transferred the money from the UK, the 18th January. She said not yet three months must come back tomorrow. the 18th. I then insisted the rules have changed now and it"s only two months. She then consulted some paperwork and said no two months for first extension and three months for every extension afterwards. I insisted this was incorrect but she was adamant. The upshot is I have been told to go again to bank tomorrow and obtain another two letters with the 18th and try again.

Nong Kai immigration is an office known for insisting on (or making) some rules that are different from other offices. As you have found they are not going to adjust their procedures with outside input.

Challenging decisions is not usually going to work and may make you life more difficult.

• Like 2

Ubonjoe that was my understanding also. When I explained that it was not three months but two now she admitted to not knowing and I was surprised when she had to look the matter up.

I wonder if it's worthwhile ringing the Immigration hotline 1178 at that point to get clarification for the lady. Nothing to lose I guess

Platinum Member
Destiny1990
Posted 2 hours ago
I would either take an visa agent to do everything for me or I would pack up my bags for move to another country.

Whats so great about Nong Khai anyway?

It's where I ended up after travelling round Thailand after arriving here in 2007. It's not a bad place to live, reasonably quiet and on the border with Lao, also near immigration which may be a minus or plus. It's also where I purchased a house.

• Like 2

The IMO is correct 2 months for first application and every renewal after that is money in situ 3 months prior . But why would you need a letter from the Embassy as that’s only to confirm monthly income or am I missing something here .

• Like 1

scubascuba3

Ubonjoe that was my understanding also. When I explained that it was not three months but two now she admitted to not knowing and I was surprised when she had to look the matter up.
I wonder if it's worthwhile ringing the Immigration hotline 1178 at that point to get clarification for the lady. Nothing to lose I guess.

I had thought of doing that I have also printed out the relevant page in the new police order in Thai and English and highlighted the relevant paragraph but what will it prove. They will not accept that they have made a mistake no matter what evidence is put in front of them . ujayujay has quite rightly stated in a earlier post " Never say to a IO, shes/hes wrong.....they never do wrong"

Edited by khastan
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

The IMO is correct 2 months for first application and every renewal after that is money in situ 3 months prior . But why would you need a letter from the Embassy as that’s only to confirm monthly income or am I missing something here .

Since the first of March every extension is now 2 months. 

Go to page one and look at post #6.

• Thanks 1

I think the Immigration Officer is interpreting 'prior to filing date' to mean prior to one's first application--which sort of makes sense to only require a 2 month wait while doing the first application.  After that first one, the thinking might be that you have had 9 months to get your 800,000 in the bank for 3 months seasoning for your next extension.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, newnative said:

I think the Immigration Officer is interpreting 'prior to filing date' to mean prior to one's first application--which sort of makes sense to only require a 2 month wait while doing the first application.

It is very clear in what it means. It means applying for any extension. 

There is no longer any wording about the 60 days for the first extension in the revised clause of the police order.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is very clear in what it means. It means applying for any extension. 

There is no longer any wording about the 60 days for the first extension in the revised clause of the police order.

I was interpreting Clause 4 on the police order that was posted on the first page of this thread. "At least 2 months prior to filing date..."   If you interpret 'filing date' to be the initial date you first applied, then the 2 months/3 months makes sense to me.  Two months initially, then 3 months after that.  My initial filing date was June 25, 2010.  No matter when I apply for my annual extension, even if I am a couple weeks early, I'm always assigned June 25 and the following year.

22 minutes ago, newnative said:

I was interpreting Clause 4 on the police order that was posted on the first page of this thread. "At least 2 months prior to filing date..."   If you interpret 'filing date' to be the initial date you first applied, then the 2 months/3 months makes sense to me.  Two months initially, then 3 months after that.  My initial filing date was June 25, 2010.  No matter when I apply for my annual extension, even if I am a couple weeks early, I'm always assigned June 25 and the following year.

Show me where it mentions 3 months anywhere in the order to than for the 3 months after.

The first extension part is gone completely from the order.

Filing date is the day you apply for an extension not the first one you did years ago.

56 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

The IMO is correct 2 months for first application and every renewal after that is money in situ 3 months prior

not with the new rules

It is 2 months before and 3 months after for the 800k then 400k for the following 12 months - new rules

The point of this thread is to bring to attention an IO office that doesn't know the new rules or isn't implementing them, your uninformed incorrect post just confuses the issue

• Like 2

I have no idea if it is 2 months or 3. One thing is for certain though if TI say 3 than that is what's required. I know in future I will make sure that I have the funds in a Thai Bank 3 months prior to application.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, khastan said:

I have no idea if it is 2 months or 3. One thing is for certain though if TI say 3 than that is what's required. I know in future I will make sure that I have the funds in a Thai Bank 3 months prior to application.

That is entirely up to you and keep it there above 800k for 3 months after your approval date then 400k for the following 12 months - if you don't you may have problems with your next renewal

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Show me where it mentions 3 months anywhere in the order to than for the 3 months after.

The first extension part is gone completely from the order.

Filing date is the day you apply for an extension not the first one you did years ago.

I've not seen any official rules or websites that mention 3 months for subsequent extensions, although I have been looking. There is one menion in the OP of the below recent TV thread. He clearly describes the new rule system but does say 3 months for repeat visas.

He did his extension in mid February, after new rules were announced but before they came into effect March 1. I also extended my retirement visa on Feb 14 at Chanegwattana and was not told about the new rules. (although the queue lady did put a heart shaped sticker on my shirt for Valentines day)

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1086107-my-experience-extending-my-retirement-visa-last-friday/

• Like 1

scubascuba3

I wonder if it's worthwhile ringing the Immigration hotline 1178 at that point to get clarification for the lady. Nothing to lose I guess.

I had thought of doing that I have also printed out the relevant page in the new police order in Thai and English and highlighted the relevant paragraph but what will it prove. They will not accept that they have made a mistake no matter what evidence is put in front of them . ujayujay has quite rightly stated in a earlier post " Never say to a IO, shes/hes wrong.....they never do wrong"

But what have you got to lose? you were coming back at a later date anyway. I'd be tempted to try it, in a nice diplomatic way

Scubas cuba 3

I will not be doing that. I have in the past tried dealing with NKTI in a diplomatic way, a complete waste of time they are always correct. They once accused a friend of mine who was doing a visa extension for being drunk and he has been tee total for ten years!

Joe Mcseismic

Very sound advice for yourself which I will also follow.

• Like 1

Smedly
That is entirely up to you and keep it there above 800k for 3 months after your approval date then 400k for the following 12 months - if you don't you may have problems with your next renewal.

Thank you for the advice, that is fully what I intend to do.