Latest Retirement Extension a Warning .

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Unfreaking believable. Maybe you can try out that help number I've heard about before. I'm sure they will love to be reported on as not even know such a simple and BASIC thing about the new rules. 

What is unfreaking believable is you thinking that the rule for the past 10 years has actually changed.  Or if it did actually change that all the thousands of Immigration officers would be notified and actually conform to the new rule if it is actually a new rule. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, khastan said:

Just go back. I am pleased to tell you all that Retirement extension successful using Decembers income letter and money in the bank. There was no mention whatsoever or any new papers given to me regarding any new rules about keeping funds in the bank etc. The only thing extra that I had to sign was the acknowledgment of visa overstay penalties, a form which I have filled in already three times previously. The only new requirement for me was a picture of me in the bedroom which they insisted on.

Yes, because if there is no picture of you in the bedroom, then you are clearly not married!

Updated marriage document - Noooo. Marriage certificate - Noooo. Picture of you in any random bedroom in any house - Yeeees. LOL 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That is BASIC.
Change from three months to two months for ALL.

That is simple.

A small child could absorb that in seconds. 

Now if you're talking about the combo method, now a complete and total complicated MESS, I would agree with you. 

Really, I don't get your trip. How can you possibly defend offices not knowing about such a SIMPLE change.

Knowing Immigration I'd say they will only change to negative rules and any positive changes for the expat will be ignored till they are forced to change.   Government is not there to make your life simple, better or easier. 

Edited by marcusarelus

10 hours ago, sniggie said:

Which just goes to show the inconsistencies that seem to plague Immigration offices. My UK embassy letter dated December 2018 was accepted without question last week in Jomtien (as others have also reported), But your local office doesn't! If only all offices had up to date copies of the relevant hymnsheet. 

Quite so ... my UK embassy letter was accepted in Lampang earlier this month.  In and out in 15 minutes. 

On 4/17/2019 at 7:19 PM, khastan said:

" The alien (don't you just love the endearing way the refer to us)

Another farang digging deep to find something to complain about.

Americans refer to immigrants as aliens as do other countries.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) assigns an Alien Registration Number to every immigrant. This important number is required on immigration paperwork and other official documents.

https://www.fileright.com/blog/where-do-i-find-my-alien-registration-number/

The Brits used to and added some endearing descriptors.

Welcome to Britain? Historic police alien registration cards describe migrants as 'dim-witted peasant', 'self-opinionated Jew' and 'unintelligent type'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2278045/Welcome-Britain-Historic-police-alien-registration-cards-migrants-dim-witted-peasant-self-opinionated-Jew-unintelligent-type.html

You may be shocked with the reality that you aren't a Thai national, but there's nothing wrong with the word.

a·li·en

1.      belonging to a foreign country or nation.

synonyms:         foreign, overseas, nonnative, external, distant, remote

"the study of alien cultures promotes self-awareness"

noun

1.      a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where they are living.

synonyms:         foreigner, foreign national, nonnative, immigrant, emigrant, émigré, incomer, newcomer, visitor, outsider, stranger

Edited by Suradit69
  • Thanks 2

On 4/17/2019 at 10:12 AM, Thailand Outcast said:

All the immigration offices, and officers, around the country, have their own interpretation of the laws.

[...]

My point being, no one really knows where they stand in Thai immigration law, because the interpretation of the laws are different from office to office, and from officer to officer.

[...]

It's a messy and unpredictable system, with no one really knowing where they stand within it.

Reminds me of when India changed rules in 2010.  ...Way worse than this, too.

4 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Will be leaving it in for 12 months of the year. Will open another account for living expenses, so that there are no accidents with the amount going under.

Also, the wife will be able to access the 800k with my ATM card on my death, as UK probate can take 3-4 months.

LOL:
when u die the police show up an demand all credit cards, atm cards, passport, cash at home etc an ur account is locked UNLESS its a dual account which can not be used for the retirement purpose
this has happened to more than one friend of mine that has died in Thailand in the past 18 months

Joinaman
Just got back from immigration in Nakhon Phanom, they checked all my bank details and then stated that i failed, by one day, to transfer 800,000 into my Thai bank/ When i pointed out the money arrived 1 day short of 3 months, not the 2 months as now required , she went of to consult with other officers. She then came back and said, its 3 months for existing , 2 months is only for first time visas, but she would help me out . If i go back next week, one day late for my visa, this will make it exactly 3 months for my money in the bank, and if i get all new paperwork from the bank, cos the old bank statements will be out of date ?, and also pay a 500 baht fine for being late, she will issue me with a new visa

After a lot of confusion and questions regarding the change from the 800,00 in the bank to the 65,000 a month income she finally agreed i could change, as long as the money in the bank never went below 400,000 ? and that i still could not spend any of the existing 800,00 for 3 months. Could not get an answer why i had to keep 400,00 while doing the income route, and was adamant that i could not spend any money for 3 months too

Shes a very nice lady, but it is hard to keep cool when they say things that are wrong, but will not admit it

Have printed off the 2 month rule for the bank , and will give it to her next week, even though it will probably be ignored and i will still have to pay the fine

Maybe its time to think of other options next year, maybe move to Vietnam, use an agent,

Thanks 1

When i first read your post I though somebody had pinched my OP.! I got my extension today after being refused yesterday for being one day. However I was astounded that she made no mention whatsoever, nor was I given any form of paperwork with regard to keeping money in bank etc or any change of the rules. She was far more interested in the fact that I had not supplied a picture of me sat on the bed in the bedroom. Despite my protests she insisted on this and I honestly thought she would refuse me because of this and I would have to start again.. I then informed her I had lived in the same house since 2007 and the house was situated less than ten minutes walk from their office. She told me to return tomorrow with a picture of me sat on my bed in the bedroom and then processed my application. With regard to the letters from the Bangkok bank. I was informed yesterday that because my letters and bank book had the 17th on them then I would have to go and get new ones with today's date on. The lady who processed this in the Bangkok bank said you already have two which you got yesterday. I told her what I had been told to do and she said Nong Khai Immigation always accepts letters a day earlier. My reply was they are insisting that both letters and bankbook have today's date. Her reply was this not good for us.and futher insisted these letters dated the 17th were perfectly fine. Anyway I was not taken any more chances and paid my 200 baht again and got the necessary documentation with today's date on them.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

LOL:
when u die the police show up an demand all credit cards, atm cards, passport, cash at home etc an ur account is locked UNLESS its a dual account which can not be used for the retirement purpose
this has happened to more than one friend of mine that has died in Thailand in the past 18 months

Dude this is such a crock of crap...passport sure, so it can be cleared with the Embassy, but if married, then the other items they don't give a sh__ about.

Now if a person is single, then they don't have to demand anything, its there for the taking if they want. Either way immediate family can request all items officially from the police after the case is cleared. Embassy will normally help in this regard.

Edited by thainet
xtra words
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

LOL:

Only if they are told, which they will be after my wife takes out all the money in my accounts. You go ahead and LOL (what are you, a teenager). I know I will outlive you.

Edited by Joe Mcseismic

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The OP can get it with the incorrect 3-mo rule the next day, so not worth ticking off the IO by proving they are full of it.  They would probably just fall back to a "we can do what we want here" (at each office) position, in any case - and could only make problems for the future.

I did my retirement extension to-day, at Lopburi office, and they say 800k  3 month before like it has been ever since the office opened, now about 10 years.

And now they put a sticker on your passport saying 800k must remain in your account for 3 months, then after 3 months  it must not drop below 400k ,no mention how they are going to check the amount needed is in the account ,next 90 day I suppose I will have to take my bank book with me and a bank  letter.?

I will raise to the bait and answer your comments Suradit69

Firstly it was merely an observation on my part and the comment you make about another foreigner digging deep to find something to complain about, I will respectfully ignore.

Secondly I am fully aware that the USA has an alien regestration system.

Thirdly your Daily Mail link is nearly six years old. Try calling anybody now in the UK anything like an alien and expect the politically correct boys in blue to be knocking on your door.

Finally I have no desire to be a Thai Citizen nor am I shocked for not being so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kkickstart

did my retirement extension to-day, at Lopburi office, and they say 800k 3 month before like it has been ever since the office opened, now about 10 years.

And now they put a sticker on your passport saying 800k must remain in your account for 3 months, then after 3 months it must not drop below 400k ,no mention how they are going to check the amount needed is in the account ,next 90 day I suppose I will have to take my bank book with me and a bank letter.?

I also completed my retirement extension but no mention at all of keeping money in bank the new rules etc and after reading your post just checked my passport but no sticker in passport. However I will comply in full for the next 12 months of the new rules.

27 minutes ago, kickstart said:

I did my retirement extension to-day, at Lopburi office, and they say 800k  3 month before like it has been ever since the office opened, now about 10 years.

And now they put a sticker on your passport saying 800k must remain in your account for 3 months, then after 3 months  it must not drop below 400k ,no mention how they are going to check the amount needed is in the account ,next 90 day I suppose I will have to take my bank book with me and a bank  letter.?

Sticker!... What next an ankle bracelet!...

Can you post a pic of this new sticker...

9 hours ago, thequietman said:

Yes, because if there is no picture of you in the bedroom, then you are clearly not married!

does your face need to be in it ?        :cheesy:

you have to laugh at these people in jobs of importance were they very obviously shouldn't be, just look at the road carnage and the people that are supposed to be in charge of that.

The private sector in Thailand works very well because it is run by foreign companies

The public sector is home run, Thais run it, I won't expand any further - nothing more needs to be added except that it fails in absolutely every way possible and then some

Give me an example of something that Thais run that is not a complete (deleted) up, I honesty cannot think of a single thing

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Why is it complicated? it has to add up to 800k at the end of the year. 12 months income + balance = 800k

not being funny but can you give a full report if you ever try it going forward and if you are not intending to do so will you take the time to explain how that is working right now - you said it isn't complicated - do share with us all because from various posts over the last few months on here it is no longer an option

I wait for you wisdom 

On 4/17/2019 at 6:23 PM, observer90210 said:

you should rather be thanking him for sharing information,  instead of making a comment that sounds rather rude. case closed.

Of course, any piece of information is better then no information, and I thank the OP for his effort, but where do you draw the line?  I did not post to be rude, just to point out how ridiculous the whole system is. 

There are now so many different experiences from people on TV, but from within in the same immigration office.  Who knows what to expect and what to prepare for?

What if someone posted in this thread that they went to the same office, on the same day, with the same paperwork, and never had a problem?  Should these threads now start physically describing individual immigration officers as the ones to stay away from?

At what point of information exchange can anyone gain ny confidence in this crazy system?

You can accept the OP's information and plan for it, then attend the same immigration office, only to be told about some other bureaucratic oversight, and so, another thread is started, and it keeps going on and on and on.

It appears we have come to the point where it doesn't matter if one has all their paperwork correct under the new laws, because immigration have no idea what the new laws are, so no one knows whether to prepared under the old laws, or new laws.

it's getting more confusing and stressful by the day. 

Edited by Thailand Outcast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

does your face need to be in it ?        :cheesy:

you have to laugh at these people in jobs of importance were they very obviously shouldn't be, just look at the road carnage and the people that are supposed to be in charge of that.

The private sector in Thailand works very well because it is run by foreign companies

The public sector is home run, Thais run it, I won't expand any further - nothing more needs to be added except that it fails in absolutely every way possible and then some

Give me an example of something that Thais run that is not a complete (deleted) up, I honesty cannot think of a single thing

The Thai's do a good job of running a prostitution industry, despite it being illegal.  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For all we know, they have a quota each day of rejections they must meet, despite all applicants meeting the requirements.  Who knows?
A friend of mine has an Immigration official neighbour, gets a new Merc every year, so yes a daily quota of rejections pushed to agencies wouldn't be a surprise
  • Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:
39 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:
For all we know, they have a quota each day of rejections they must meet, despite all applicants meeting the requirements.  Who knows?

A friend of mine has an Immigration official neighbour, gets a new Merc every year, so yes a daily quota of rejections pushed to agencies wouldn't be a surprise

They got a whole new staff at my Imm office all of them gone in one day.  20 of them bye. 

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Fired or transferred? so a miracle is happening and they are trying to stop corruption? or bring corruption in?

A lady I know who works at the Labor department said transferred.  I don't know where or if they were really transferred.  Maybe there is a concentration camp for old Imm officers. 

10 hours ago, thainet said:

Dude this is such a crock of crap...passport sure, so it can be cleared with the Embassy, but if married, then the other items they don't give a sh__ about.

Now if a person is single, then they don't have to demand anything, its there for the taking if they want. Either way immediate family can request all items officially from the police after the case is cleared. Embassy will normally help in this regard.

yes, you get it all back, but what i am saying is she cant continue using his atm card after he dies, Bank accounts are locked, bank books taken till released, same as cash, seen it happen twice now here in phuket.