Latest Retirement Extension a Warning .

44 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

yes, you get it all back, but what i am saying is she cant continue using his atm card after he dies, Bank accounts are locked, bank books taken till released, same as cash, seen it happen twice now here in phuket.

And just how will the bank know about the death?

Just now, Joe Mcseismic said:

And just how will the bank know about the death?

I am guessing the police inform them? They are the first people to be involved when a foreigner dies in the country. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Hence reason they ask/ take bank books/atm cards

So is it standard procedure for the police to demand and take all the foreigners bank books from a Thai wife?... Would they take joint account bank books?... Would the police demand a wife open any safe found in the house?... Would they do the same if the wife was also a foreigner?... 

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

Hence reason they ask/ take bank books/atm cards

Not as far as I'm aware. They don't take anything. Have had two friends die of natural causes in hospital and the police did not go to the widows house and collect bank books and ATM cards.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I think that would depend upon where you are living.

They do not do it up here.

The police simply record the death, if it is at home they take a picture of the deceased copy the passport and subsequently inform the relevant embassy,that's it.

Deaths of foreigners particularly at home should reported to the police as soon as possible. 

A few posts discussing how to identify a deceased foreigner.

Information on another thread is fingerprinting at the airports will be implemented soon.  Obviously, the land boarders should have them as well, if they were serious about it, but even the airport fingerprinting will make it easier for police to identify foreigners in the future, dead, or alive. 

11 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

it's getting more confusing and stressful by the day. 

Just keep 800,000 baht in your Thai bank account always and you will get your annual retirement extension - no confusion, no stress

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Just keep 800,000 baht in your Thai bank account always and you will get your annual retirement extension - no confusion, no stress

just make it 400k all year round for all extensions and the whole thing is simplified and compensated for the very strong baht

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

I'll happily leave before I lose control over 800k baht of my money.

I'll see how it plays out with the agents, and if they can't get around it, I'm off to Vietnam, and will come back frequently on tourist visas.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smedly said:

just make it 400k all year round for all extensions and the whole thing is simplified and compensated for the very strong baht

It already is 400k all year round, plus another 400k for 5 months. 

So, you only get to use 400k of your money for a 7 month window period. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

LOL:
when u die the police show up an demand all credit cards, atm cards, passport, cash at home etc an ur account is locked UNLESS its a dual account which can not be used for the retirement purpose
this has happened to more than one friend of mine that has died in Thailand in the past 18 months

How about giving her your log on name and password so she can simply log in to your bank account and transfer the money to her bank account (either just before or just after your death) prior to the authorities showing up?

I think if you left a note and a video (saved in redundancy on more than one device) instructing your wife to do so upon your death then she would not be suspected of pilfering the money (that would have gone to her anyway after the probate fiasco).

This is something that I am worried about also and I'm trying to plan for it to avoid more problems for my wife.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

It already is 400k all year round, plus another 400k for 5 months. 

So, you only get to use 400k of your money for a 7 month window period. 

yes I know - bin the 800k malarkey and every one the same - everyone happy and so simple to manage

20 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

And how do they know what bank you use, or, even if you have a bank account at all?

They search, they ask, they take your passport number which is tied to all bank accounts? 

A person's bank account details are also available from immigration if they are on a long term extension. 

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

They search, they ask, they take your passport number which is tied to all bank accounts? 

A person's bank account details are also available from immigration if they are on a long term extension. 

They don't do it here in Phuket. See my other posts.

Other people have also said they don't do it in other parts of Thailand.

There has only been one poster that claims this happens, he lives in Phuket, where I know they don't do it.

The police may do it if there is evidence of foul-play as part of there investigation, otherwise, it's really not their job and I certainly know that they don't do it with Thai citizens.

Edited by Joe Mcseismic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not always. I use Embassy Letter to get my Retirement Extensions at Pattaya, and they never asked for my bank details or my passbook.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

They don't do it here in Phuket. See my other posts.

Other people have also said they don't do it in other parts of Thailand.

There has only been one poster that claims this happens, he lives in Phuket, where I know they don't do it.

The police may do it if there is evidence of foul-play as part of there investigation, otherwise, it's really not their job and I certainly know that they don't do it with Thai citizens.

Actually you remind me that when a friend died here there was no evidence his accounts were blocked. There wasn't much there as it was. A bit of scaremongering perhaps. I just posted that the police certainly have the means to associate a recently deceased to their bank accounts. Immigration sure have a lot of my details!

Edited by jacko45k

Yes so did I when the UK Embassy letters were available. When I renewed my extension this week they copied every single page in my Bangkok bank account going back to 2007, then I had to sign each page. They seemed to completely ignore the official letter from the Bangkok bank with the last twelve months of transactions on it. Why would they want to know every transaction you have made through a bank since living here.

Edited by khastan

1 hour ago, khastan said:

Why would they want to know every transaction you have made through a bank since living here.

A stack of official looking paperwork all stamped and signed, selfies of you in the bedroom is a sign of a good bureaucrat doing a job well done... :coffee1:

2 hours ago, khastan said:

Yes so did I when the UK Embassy letters were available. When I renewed my extension this week they copied every single page in my Bangkok bank account going back to 2007, then I had to sign each page. They seemed to completely ignore the official letter from the Bangkok bank with the last twelve months of transactions on it. Why would they want to know every transaction you have made through a bank since living here.

in jomtien the copy business just outside is a goldmine, you want to know why they want copies of absolutely every page of every book/document - because someone high up in immigration owns the copy business, lets not get into who owns/shares in most of the agency businesses in pattaya

the huge waste of paper is shocking

Nothing like that in Nong Khai there are no copying shops for miles. It's all done in house and usually no charge now. They probably have a bet each week with pooled money and the one that has generated the most signed paperwork wins the lot!!

Edited by khastan

3 minutes ago, khastan said:

Nothing like that in Nong Khai there are no copying shops for miles. It's all done in house and usually no charge now. They probably have a bet each week with pooled money and the one that has generated the most signed paperwork wins the lot!!

I always wonder where it all goes?... You never really see any paperwork stacked up... No filing cabinets or such.. Never a mention of “well check the archive”... Recycled?… Never a report of it washing up on a beach?...