Latest Retirement Extension a Warning .

I do not know how other old codgers feel but at the ripe old age of 74 I do not want the sword of Damocles hanging over my head every year when I go and renew my extension or dreading the next change of rules.. Take for example the following. A good friend who had lived in Thailand for over ten years got married to a Thai and had two children. Several years ago he left to go back to the UK permanently purely because he wanted his children to be educated in the UK not Thailand. Yes it cost him upwards of 3000 pounds and involved a lot of paperwork. However now his wife has gained permanent residency the whole family enjoys exactly all the benefits a UK citizen does. I would have happily paid that sort of money to the Thai government for the security his family now have in the UK.

Edited by khastan
mistake

22 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I didn't know they were endlessly changing.  Since I've been here (20 years) no changes for me.  The embassy changed a rule so I'm switching to the income method because I no longer have to pay for an embassy letter.  5000 baht cheaper.  Every little bit helps.

Lucky you.

I was frequently sent to get more photocopies of various documents, which resulted in joining the queue again....

But when I employed an agent, I no longer had to deal with their games.....

• Like 1

My own feelings on the subject of agents are they are like loan sharks, once in their clutches it's extremely difficult to get out of them. Unless you are legal.

Edited by khastan
added text

1 minute ago, khastan said:

I do not know how other old codgers feel but at the ripe old age of 74 I do not want the sword of Damocles hanging over my head every year when I go and renew my extension or dreading the next change of rules.. Take for example the following. A good friend who had lived in Thailand for over ten years got married to a Thai and had two children. Several years ago he left to go back to the UK permanently purely because he wanted his children to be educated in the UK not Thailand. Yes it cost him upwards forked upwards of 3000 pounds and involved a lot of paperwork. However now his wife has gained permanent residency the whole family enjoys exactly all the benefits a UK citizen does. I would have happily paid that sort of money to the Thai government for the security his family now have in the UK.

Nothing hanging over my old codger head as I read Thai Visa and keep informed.  My wife does not want to go to America and has a good job here.  We have a dog who does not want to go to school.  Been here 20 years so it's been a good run.  If they kick me out because of insurance or some other thing I'll go and say thanks for the memories.  Not bitter and trying to make others worry unnecessarily.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Lucky you.

I was frequently sent to get more photocopies of various documents, which resulted in joining the queue again....

But when I employed an agent, I no longer had to deal with their games.....

I have a printer at home so copy everything a couple of times and keep in a separate folder in case I'm asked. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, khastan said:

My own feelings on the subject of agents are they are like loan sharks, once in their clutches it's extremely difficult to get out of them.

Why do you believe this?  You've employed an agent that wouldn't let you out of 'their clutches'?

As long as you're legal - precisely how can this happen?

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I have a printer at home so copy everything a couple of times and keep in a separate folder in case I'm asked. 

And you were never asked for new 'requirements'?

Genuine question, as even though I use an agent I've frequently been asked for new requirements.

e.g. 'photo in home, copies of bank book pages and ATM card etc. etc.

On the plus side,, I've never been asked to complete the form requiring the form demanding that all internet addresses etc. be disclosed!  I gather Immigration has now given up on this 'requirement' as it was so pointless in the first place ????.

29 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Why do you believe this?  You've employed an agent that wouldn't let you out of 'their clutches'?

As long as you're legal - precisely how can this happen?

Ask that Captain Jack guy.  He can't come back to Thailand because his agent messed up. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

And you were never asked for new 'requirements'?

Genuine question, as even though I use an agent I've frequently been asked for new requirements.

e.g. 'photo in home, copies of bank book pages and ATM card etc. etc.

On the plus side,, I've never been asked to complete the form requiring the form demanding that all internet addresses etc. be disclosed!  I gather Immigration has now given up on this 'requirement' as it was so pointless in the first place ????.

What new requirements?  I put $16 grand in the bank when I got here in an FD and its been good for 20 years.  I just withdraw the interest every year.  I got that social media form from Thai visa and had it ready but was not asked. 

• Like 1

Well I am a lucky Luke,

15+years using a Letter of Income. 

Next to this :

Copies of passport pages. 

Copy of rent agreement. 

Copy of TM6. 

After waiting time, take usually 5 minutes for officer, and I am out. 

But have to go back the next day, to pick up my passport with extension, and taking picture. 

So no change for me so far in all these years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

Well I am a lucky Luke,

15+years using a Letter of Income. 

Next to this :

Copies of passport pages. 

Copy of rent agreement. 

Copy of TM6. 

After waiting time, take usually 5 minutes for officer, and I am out. 

But have to go back the next day, to pick up my passport with extension, and taking picture. 

So no change for me so far in all these years. 

What nationality are you?

21 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

If you don't want to go home you can show 65k baht coming into Thailand every month and not put any money into a Thai bank. 

So where is that money (65k) coming into?

Nothing is new in number 6. It is identical to what has been in all the police orders since that grandfathering rule was first done.

That is my point, why is it still there when five years after its publication everyone under provision B would have become subject to provision A. I believe that this has been claimed in the past and rejected which should have led to them being expunged, the fact that they haven’t, says a lot about the workings of Immigration.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

That is my point, why is it still there when five years after its publication everyone under provision B would have become subject to provision A.

As I have written many times the age of 55 to 60 was the age they had to be to qualify for the clause on the date it was issued. After that it would never go away because they got older.

Just got back from transferring my visa and stamps from old to new passport at NK immigration.

As if to prove my previous assertions about the NK immigration office, they charged me 100 baht to do it.  Obviously the money is absolutely trivial, but it is telling that I had to apparently contribute to the office pizza party fund for a service that has no fees posted for it anywhere and is uniformly understood on multiple websites and TVF forums to be a free service.  Chiang Rai immigration didn't charge for the same service when I did it a few years ago.

Not worth starting a new thread, but if I'm wrong and there is an official fee documented somewhere, I would be curious to hear about it from others.  

Once again, my condolences and good luck wishes to the OP for having to go through this particular office.

Thanks for the good wishes. Retirement extension now obtained I am pleased to say. The TM7 I printed and filled in previously the picture was not big enough even though it fitted perfectly the box on the form. IO "have bigger pictures, me "no only these" , handing them a pack of 6 passport size photographs , IO "no good not big enough" okay I will go and get some done. Man in yellow rushes over accompanied by young man "he take pictures 100 baht " Okay I said. Four pictures then taken so big they covered part of text which she then had to then cut down to fit. Then a second TM7 was produced which I had to sign and she stuck one of the new pictures on it. I was then handed the two left "for next year" she said. No pizza party but somebody did bring a box of doughnuts which was then handed out between themselves.

Edited by khastan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tgeezer said:

That is my point, why is it still there when five years after its publication everyone under provision B would have become subject to provision A. I believe that this has been claimed in the past and rejected which should have led to them being expunged, the fact that they haven’t, says a lot about the workings of Immigration.
Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

May say more about the observer. It's known as a sunset law and legally understood to not apply to situations ad aeternum.

On 4/22/2019 at 2:43 PM, Jingthing said:

It needs to be imported monthly into a Thai bank account.

That's monthly. Around a similar date in the month.

One baht under 65K in any month -- FAIL

Any month missed and doubled up later -- FAIL

Showing back 12 full months except there is an order saying to give leniency this first year, but in practice leniency not always given -- POSSIBLE FAIL

Recent report from KRABI immigration office, only embassy letters accepted even if your embassy doesn't give them, otherwise 800K bank method only. May well be OTHER offices as well.  -- POSSIBLE FAIL

There have been reports that some offices seeing the imports are demanding to see proof that the money imported is actually PENSION money. In other words, a person might be importing 50K and adding another 15K on top for the monthly import. If proof of pension source demanded, he could only prove 50K, not 65K. --

POSSIBLE FAIL

Yet, again, we're in the ONEROUS zone. We're now in NO FLEXIBILITY zone. We're even in some offices totally ignoring the national rules zone (see above).

Bottom line -- the surest of the surest things in this radically changed environment is using the 800K in the bank method. The massively changed 800K bank method now requiring seasoning ALL YEAR LONG, before and after, with a permanent NEVER TOUCH lockup of 400K. 

Let's not sugarcoat it. 

I think it's fair to say "seasoning" has now become "donating."  ????

• Haha 1

just got back from renewing my retirement visa in Nakon Phanom

got fined 500 baht for being 1 day over, which they told me to do, 

As usual lots of duplicate paperwork, was applying for annual visa, plus multi entry

Why not just staple the multy entry from to the visa, instead of supplying duplicate photos, passports, etc

But while waiting, was called into big mans office, ( not sure of his rank, but had lots of medals and things on his uniform )

Wasnt interested in the visa renewal, just went through the new rules on the banking side

had no problems with the 800,00 in the bank, apart from the 3 months he claimed, not 2 months as shown

But explained i wanted to change to the income method, no problem he said. Just keep 800,00 in bank for 3 month after visa, then keep 400,000 in bank plus 65,000 a month, then back up to 800.00 3 month before

when i said no, that is not right, he started saying it correct. when i showed him the copy of the regulations taken from the immigration site, he backed down and said, you talk to lady at desk

when we finally got to talk to the immigration officer, who, as part of the visa requirement, had to sign the same copy to show we new, and agreed to the new rules

When i refused to sign till she explained them to me, she finally admired she did not know the new rules or how they worked and when i pointed out , if she doesn't know, how am i supposed to know, and would she refuse my next visa if i make a mistake. She just smiled and said , come back later, when we know what it means

So i have got my annual visa, with 800,000 in the bank, but told not to spend any of it for 3 months, but return before then and hopefully she will know what she is talking about

What a crazy system when they cannot tell you the rules to follow, but will deny you the visa if you don't follow them 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2019 at 11:53 AM, Pattaya46 said:

I agree on that. If someone cannot - or don't want - to let 800k in a bank account all year long (the stressless easy solution) then the logical choice should be to use to the 65k monthly transfers. :thumbsup:

I don't understand this bashing on the 800k when it's only one of several possible methods. You don't like this one, just use another one. :cool:

where in the new rules does it state 65,000. The papers i have only state income, plus funds, must equal at least 800,00 by the next visa application, but also states must be in the bank, as in section 4. so no spending either

it also state no less than 400,00 in the bank at any time during the year , So does this work now ?

the immigration offices in Nakon Phanom don't even know how this works, but will refuse your visa if they think its wrong

1 minute ago, Joinaman said:

where in the new rules does it state 65,000. The papers i have only state income, plus funds, must equal at least 800,00 by the next visa application, but also states must be in the bank, as in section 4. so no spending either

it also state no less than 400,00 in the bank at any time during the year , So does this work now ?

the immigration offices in Nakon Phanom don't even know how this works, but will refuse your visa if they think its wrong

I reckon many or most of the offices can't tell you how to do a successful combination application especially without an embassy letter. Reports from Jomtien that they're not accepting them at all. It's foolish to even try in this current environment unless you enjoy being a vulnerable guinea pig. 

On 4/21/2019 at 9:31 AM, Joinaman said:

yes, thats the way i see it, but they dont seem to be able to work that out

so can i now start to spend the 800,000 after i have got this years visa, as long as any money in bank, plus income payments ?

But the income can be 6 months, 3 months plus balance as long as the total in the bank at the end of the year equals 800.000 ?

Can It ?

immigration said no spend 800,000 for 3 month then transfer 65,000 , , which would be maximum of 9 months income, plus balance, 

not sure if that's correct

i have been told, even if i go the income plus funds, the 800,00 MUST stay in the bank for the first 3 months, then cannot go below 400,00 plus income which must be 800,00 minimum, but cannot spend this money, as section 4 , which is the money in the bank route. If not 800,00 in the bank next visa application, NO visa, is what i was told, but then they admit they don't know the rules yet