TM 30 at Chiang Mai

bprhodes

A friend from the USA will be arriving this Saturday and stay at my home for 1 week. During his stay we will make at least one trip overnight (Phayao and Chiang Rai). I am the housemaster (my adult Thai son owns the land, I built a house and have an Usufruct). I have some questions about the TM30.

1. How can I report him to immigration within 24 hours if he arrives on Saturday morning? Monday is not a good option because we already have a fully booked day.

2. If we leave CM for one night do I have to go back to immigration and do a tm30 again within 24 hours of hour return?

3. What are the potential consequences if I do nothing? Will he be questioned when he leaves Thailand?

I asked at immigration about doing a tm30 online and was told that online is only for hotels. :-(

Technically, either you as housemaster or your son as owner, are required under the law to file an original TM30 for your guest; however, as poster Gant has noted, enforcement of the TM30 rules (so far) has only occurred when an extension at CM Immigration is needed.  So, presuming your guest has no need for that, don't bother.

For your other questions:

(1)  Immigration allegedly has a desk open even on weekends for TM reporting/updating (so you could theoretically do it on Saturday or Sunday).  But, again presuming your guest needs no extension, I wouldn't bother.

(2)  I'm guessing you are referring to trips within Thailand; if that's the case, there is no need to update a TM30 here in CM for that (plus, if you choose not to file an original TM30 in the first place, there's nothing to update anyway).  One (so far) only updates a TM30 in CM upon re-entry to the country and return to a TM30 registered address. 

(3) There are no consequences under current application of the TM30 rules here in CM unless your guest needs an extension.  No, exit immigration at an airport won't question TM30 requirements at all. 

41 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Technically, either you as housemaster or your son as owner, are required under the law to file an original TM30 for your guest; however, as poster Gant has noted, enforcement of the TM30 rules (so far) has only occurred when an extension at CM Immigration is needed.  So, presuming your guest has no need for that, don't bother.

For your other questions:

(1)  Immigration allegedly has a desk open even on weekends for TM reporting/updating (so you could theoretically do it on Saturday or Sunday).  But, again presuming your guest needs no extension, I wouldn't bother.

(2)  I'm guessing you are referring to trips within Thailand; if that's the case, there is no need to update a TM30 here in CM for that (plus, if you choose not to file an original TM30 in the first place, there's nothing to update anyway).  One (so far) only updates a TM30 in CM upon re-entry to the country and return to a TM30 registered address. 

(3) There are no consequences under current application of the TM30 rules here in CM unless your guest needs an extension.  No, exit immigration at an airport won't question TM30 requirements at all. 

Does CM care about TM28s?  If so, the OP himself might have to file one after 24 hours.

12 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Does CM care about TM28s?  If so, the OP himself might have to file one after 24 hours.

In my opinion, no.  Friends of mine who actually attempted to file a TM28 had them handed back to them with a comment of "we don't want."  I've never even attempted to file one in the last 10 years and nobody at immigration has said a word about it.  An original TM30 was filed for me a few years back (landlord was fined 3000 baht for that as I had already lived in his townhouse for 3+ years) and I update 2-3 times a year when I re-enter the country and return to my TM30 registered address (and I've updated 2-4 day days after returning without any issue).  

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

Me and my GF did a TM30 in Chiang Mai about two weeks ago. We asked them if she has to do a new TM30 for me if i stayed at another place within Thailand or after i was out of the country and stay at this place again, and was told that in both cases my GF has to report to immigration that i stay there again. But they don't require all the documents, in this case the TM30 report slip and a copy of my passport is sufficient to have them update it.

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

Does CM care about TM28s?

TM28 was not mentioned when we went there.

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

An original TM30 was filed for me a few years back (landlord was fined 3000 baht for that as I had already lived in his townhouse for 3+ years) and I update 2-3 times a year when I re-enter the country and return to my TM30 registered address (and I've updated 2-4 day days after returning without any issue).  

If you are still renting, does your landlord go to imm to do the TM30 when you return?

1 hour ago, amexpat said:

If you are still renting, does your landlord go to imm to do the TM30 when you return?

No, I just stop by myself and it usually takes 5 minutes or less (my landlord has no idea that I've taken a trip over to Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, or wherever).  All they want to see is your passport with the TM30 Receipt of Notification stapled in the back.  And they just put a new date stamp (sometimes with a red circular stamp) on that Receipt (or print out a new one if it's fairly full of stamps). 

32 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

I just go in with pp and they stamp existing tm 30 paper in pp again. Landlord does nothing.

Right. Now I've got a dogeared TM30 receipt covered with red meatballs, with dates of TM6 entries. Question: Has anyone noticed if, at extension renewal, whether or not the IO does anything other than glance to see if you have a TM30 receipt in your passport? I find it hard to believe that the officer would look thru 7 red stamps to see if one contains my latest entry date into Thailand..... And I really doubt if he does a computer data search of your TM30 history...

Just pondering on whether or not updating my TM30 receipt, next time I re-enter Thailand, is really necessary when I go for a subsequent extension renewal.

Thoughts?

4 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Immigration allegedly has a desk open even on weekends for TM reporting/updating

I don't think they do have a TM30 desk open on weekends. At least this is what my school advised us. All other services are available however. Can anyone confirm one way or another?

7 hours ago, JimGant said:

.....Question: Has anyone noticed if, at extension renewal, whether or not the IO does anything other than glance to see if you have a TM30 receipt in your passport? ...

Friends of mine who have already done their annual extensions this year were required to provide a copy of the TM30 Receipt of Notification to get the extension (and some, who only had a printout from their condo office, were required to go up to the third floor to get the smaller TM30 Receipt of Notification and then provide that as part of their extension copy packet).  I go in for my annual extension next week and I will include a copy of same with my packet of documents.

Presuming a copy is required, no need for the officer to check out the actual Receipt of Notification that ought to be stapled in the back of one's passport.

Let us know if you choose to not update and then obtain an extension without getting nailed for a fine.

Went for my renewal on Wednesday.  Officer wanted copy of every single page of Passport and all signed in blue ink.

She would not accept my letter from bank on the 800,000, as she said it was dated the day before and I could have withdrawn the money.  Also wanted a copy of every page of my bank savings account book and the last page had to have current day's date. How could you ever go to immigration early in a.m., as banks do not open until 9 or 9:30? I think the only way you could do this is to find an ATM machine where you could make a deposit and then update your book.

90 day very easy now as only need passport and TM47 - took all of 3 minutes.  I usually mail mine in but had to go to immigration for my TM7...

1 hour ago, krabbyken said:

Went for my renewal on Wednesday.  Officer wanted copy of every single page of Passport and all signed in blue ink.

She would not accept my letter from bank on the 800,000, as she said it was dated the day before and I could have withdrawn the money.  Also wanted a copy of every page of my bank savings account book and the last page had to have current day's date.

One of the veteran lady officers a few years back also wanted a copy of every single filled-out page (even of foreign visas) of my passport (this same lady had done extensions for me in prior years and asked for no such copies).  I politely argued with her as to whether that was really needed and she insisted....and she also acted a bit disappointed when I reached into my folder and quickly produced a full set (I take the kitchen sink with me as you never know 100% what they want on a given day).

As to the bank letter being dated the same day, that's really unnecessary if one wants to go early to Immigration; but, given I'm doing my annual extension this coming week, I guess I'll play along and get it the same day.

Now, as concerns updating the passbook (presuming they want it updated the same day), that I cannot provide.  I bank with SCB, keep the 800k in a term account, and it cannot be "updated" regardless if I or SCB personnel stick the book in their update machine.  

1 hour ago, krabbyken said:

She would not accept my letter from bank on the 800,000, as she said it was dated the day before and I could have withdrawn the money.  Also wanted a copy of every page of my bank savings account book and the last page had to have current day's date. How could you ever go to immigration early in a.m., as banks do not open until 9 or 9:30? I think the only way you could do this is to find an ATM machine where you could make a deposit and then update your book.

90 day very easy now as only need passport and TM47 - took all of 3 minutes.  I usually mail mine in but had to go to immigration for my TM7...

Yes. This same day bank letter and book update is most annoying.

Back in the Suan Phlu days I had my bank letter done a couple days before the extension, no problem there, but after moving to CW they soon insisted on a same day letter.

In CW I'd get a queue number asap and than go downstairs  to my local bank branch for a deposit, an update and a letter. Than make photocopy.

Waiting times were such that I had time to do all that well before my number was called.

I live now in Ubon. No more CW mega crowds.

Now, as concerns updating the passbook (presuming they want it updated the same day), that I cannot provide.  I bank with SCB, keep the 800k in a term account, and it cannot be "updated" regardless if I or SCB personnel stick the book in their update machine.  

With my SCB term account I can withdraw a small amount thus having a transaction and an update any time I want one.

Lost interest only on withdrawal amount.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, krabbyken said:

Using an ATM would not help with the date on the letter.  Also, everyone talks about either doing a deposit or doing a deposit and then a withdrawal.  Wouldn't just doing a withdrawal accomplish the same thing?

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:24 AM, jackdd said:

Me and my GF did a TM30 in Chiang Mai about two weeks ago. We asked them if she has to do a new TM30 for me if i stayed at another place within Thailand or after i was out of the country and stay at this place again, and was told that in both cases my GF has to report to immigration that i stay there again. But they don't require all the documents, in this case the TM30 report slip and a copy of my passport is sufficient to have them update it.

TM28 was not mentioned when we went there.

It's because you are not officially registered at that address. Depends on if you are a tourist or not. Inside Thailand for long time stayers is irrelevant if go some where else and return back to your home. CM doesn't want to bother then.

3 hours ago, CMBob said:

One of the veteran lady officers a few years back also wanted a copy of every single filled-out page (even of foreign visas) of my passport (this same lady had done extensions for me in prior years and asked for no such copies).  I politely argued with her as to whether that was really needed and she insisted....and she also acted a bit disappointed when I reached into my folder and quickly produced a full set (I take the kitchen sink with me as you never know 100% what they want on a given day).

As to the bank letter being dated the same day, that's really unnecessary if one wants to go early to Immigration; but, given I'm doing my annual extension this coming week, I guess I'll play along and get it the same day.

ATM receipt should suffice.

14 hours ago, Bill97 said:

With my SCB term account I can withdraw a small amount thus having a transaction and an update any time I want one.

Lost interest only on withdrawal amount.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If so, it's because you keep the 800k in a regular savings account.  In a term account, it's not possible. 

17 hours ago, krabbyken said:

What a ball breaker immigration can be.  And you never know what's you gonna get, or not get.  And all for what?  Why do they need to do this to the "Good guys"?  So unnecessary. 

My daughter arrived from the UK first day of the holidays,so we did not

go and do a TM30 report,till the 17th,the IO,said that the office is open to

report ,Saturdays and Sundays and all public holidays.so they seem to take

the reporting seriously.

regards worgeordie

6 hours ago, mike787 said:

What a ball breaker immigration can be.  And you never know what's you gonna get, or not get.  And all for what?  Why do they need to do this to the "Good guys"?  So unnecessary.  

They try to make it as difficult as possible for people who don't use an agent, so that you will decide to use an agent for future dealings with immigration and they get paid

Archived