BANGKOK 24 May 2019 21:08
bprhodes

TM 30 at Chiang Mai

A friend from the USA will be arriving this Saturday and stay at my home for 1 week. During his stay we will make at least one trip overnight (Phayao and Chiang Rai). I am the housemaster (my adult Thai son owns the land, I built a house and have an Usufruct). I have some questions about the TM30.

1. How can I report him to immigration within 24 hours if he arrives on Saturday morning? Monday is not a good option because we already have a fully booked day.

2. If we leave CM for one night do I have to go back to immigration and do a tm30 again within 24 hours of hour return?

3. What are the potential consequences if I do nothing? Will he be questioned when he leaves Thailand?

I asked at immigration about doing a tm30 online and was told that online is only for hotels. :-(

The only time you need to really deal with the tm30 is when the landlord reports you. Since your that person, spend your time having fun. But wear a fake beard and glasses just in case. 

• Haha 1

Technically, either you as housemaster or your son as owner, are required under the law to file an original TM30 for your guest; however, as poster Gant has noted, enforcement of the TM30 rules (so far) has only occurred when an extension at CM Immigration is needed.  So, presuming your guest has no need for that, don't bother.

For your other questions:

(1)  Immigration allegedly has a desk open even on weekends for TM reporting/updating (so you could theoretically do it on Saturday or Sunday).  But, again presuming your guest needs no extension, I wouldn't bother.

(2)  I'm guessing you are referring to trips within Thailand; if that's the case, there is no need to update a TM30 here in CM for that (plus, if you choose not to file an original TM30 in the first place, there's nothing to update anyway).  One (so far) only updates a TM30 in CM upon re-entry to the country and return to a TM30 registered address. 

(3) There are no consequences under current application of the TM30 rules here in CM unless your guest needs an extension.  No, exit immigration at an airport won't question TM30 requirements at all. 

• Like 1

Is the address on the TM6 ever matched with anything?  It most cases the TM6 would have the address of a hotel and any decent computer system could try to match that with a TM30.

41 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Technically, either you as housemaster or your son as owner, are required under the law to file an original TM30 for your guest; however, as poster Gant has noted, enforcement of the TM30 rules (so far) has only occurred when an extension at CM Immigration is needed.  So, presuming your guest has no need for that, don't bother.

For your other questions:

(1)  Immigration allegedly has a desk open even on weekends for TM reporting/updating (so you could theoretically do it on Saturday or Sunday).  But, again presuming your guest needs no extension, I wouldn't bother.

(2)  I'm guessing you are referring to trips within Thailand; if that's the case, there is no need to update a TM30 here in CM for that (plus, if you choose not to file an original TM30 in the first place, there's nothing to update anyway).  One (so far) only updates a TM30 in CM upon re-entry to the country and return to a TM30 registered address. 

(3) There are no consequences under current application of the TM30 rules here in CM unless your guest needs an extension.  No, exit immigration at an airport won't question TM30 requirements at all. 

Does CM care about TM28s?  If so, the OP himself might have to file one after 24 hours.

12 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Does CM care about TM28s?  If so, the OP himself might have to file one after 24 hours.

In my opinion, no.  Friends of mine who actually attempted to file a TM28 had them handed back to them with a comment of "we don't want."  I've never even attempted to file one in the last 10 years and nobody at immigration has said a word about it.  An original TM30 was filed for me a few years back (landlord was fined 3000 baht for that as I had already lived in his townhouse for 3+ years) and I update 2-3 times a year when I re-enter the country and return to my TM30 registered address (and I've updated 2-4 day days after returning without any issue).  

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

Me and my GF did a TM30 in Chiang Mai about two weeks ago. We asked them if she has to do a new TM30 for me if i stayed at another place within Thailand or after i was out of the country and stay at this place again, and was told that in both cases my GF has to report to immigration that i stay there again. But they don't require all the documents, in this case the TM30 report slip and a copy of my passport is sufficient to have them update it.

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

Does CM care about TM28s?

TM28 was not mentioned when we went there.

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

An original TM30 was filed for me a few years back (landlord was fined 3000 baht for that as I had already lived in his townhouse for 3+ years) and I update 2-3 times a year when I re-enter the country and return to my TM30 registered address (and I've updated 2-4 day days after returning without any issue).  

If you are still renting, does your landlord go to imm to do the TM30 when you return?

If you are still renting, does your landlord go to imm to do the TM30 when you return?

I just go in with pp and they stamp existing tm 30 paper in pp again. Landlord does nothing.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, amexpat said:

No, I just stop by myself and it usually takes 5 minutes or less (my landlord has no idea that I've taken a trip over to Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, or wherever).  All they want to see is your passport with the TM30 Receipt of Notification stapled in the back.  And they just put a new date stamp (sometimes with a red circular stamp) on that Receipt (or print out a new one if it's fairly full of stamps). 

32 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

I just go in with pp and they stamp existing tm 30 paper in pp again. Landlord does nothing.

Right. Now I've got a dogeared TM30 receipt covered with red meatballs, with dates of TM6 entries. Question: Has anyone noticed if, at extension renewal, whether or not the IO does anything other than glance to see if you have a TM30 receipt in your passport? I find it hard to believe that the officer would look thru 7 red stamps to see if one contains my latest entry date into Thailand..... And I really doubt if he does a computer data search of your TM30 history...

Just pondering on whether or not updating my TM30 receipt, next time I re-enter Thailand, is really necessary when I go for a subsequent extension renewal.

Thoughts?

It is easy to do and probably a 1800 baht fine if you don’t. Roll the dice or insure?

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Immigration allegedly has a desk open even on weekends for TM reporting/updating

I don't think they do have a TM30 desk open on weekends. At least this is what my school advised us. All other services are available however. Can anyone confirm one way or another?