TM 30 at Chiang Mai

bprhodes

They try to make it as difficult as possible for people who don't use an agent, so that you will decide to use an agent for future dealings with immigration and they get paid

If that were close to true it would be a hell of a lot more difficult than it is. A lot of people without agents breeze through and have done so for years.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

If that were close to true it would be a hell of a lot more difficult than it is. A lot of people without agents breeze through and have done so for years.

They may not be too strict, or there might be a public outcry over their behaviour and the guidelines and process could be made more clear and the IOs forced to stick to them (or agents completely banned), which would mean no more tea money from the agents for them.

Same with enforcement of helmet laws, if the police would seriously enforce it (for example helmet checkpoints at random locations and random times, not only at big streets, between 8am and 5pm), then it could happen that people start wearing helmets all the time, which means no tea money anymore. So they enforce it only a little bit, so that people still dare to ride without a helmet and end up in a checkpoint from time to time to hand over a tip.

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

They try to make it as difficult as possible for people who don't use an agent, so that you will decide to use an agent for future dealings with immigration and they get paid

True!!  Keep the Big fat brown envelopes coming...????

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:09 PM, CMBob said:

Technically, either you as housemaster or your son as owner, are required under the law to file an original TM30 for your guest; however, as poster Gant has noted, enforcement of the TM30 rules (so far) has only occurred when an extension at CM Immigration is needed.  So, presuming your guest has no need for that, don't bother.

For your other questions:

(1)  Immigration allegedly has a desk open even on weekends for TM reporting/updating (so you could theoretically do it on Saturday or Sunday).  But, again presuming your guest needs no extension, I wouldn't bother.

(2)  I'm guessing you are referring to trips within Thailand; if that's the case, there is no need to update a TM30 here in CM for that (plus, if you choose not to file an original TM30 in the first place, there's nothing to update anyway).  One (so far) only updates a TM30 in CM upon re-entry to the country and return to a TM30 registered address. 

(3) There are no consequences under current application of the TM30 rules here in CM unless your guest needs an extension.  No, exit immigration at an airport won't question TM30 requirements at all. 

Given they may be staying at an hotel, the hotel will make a TM 30 report. If there is no original TM 30 from when first arrived to hotel stay, there may POSSIBLY be questions asked about where he stayed before ( not by the hotel ).

If not staying at an hotel, I can't see the problem in not reporting TM30. Imm. at airport don't check, far as I know.

TM 30s can be done at a police station if an immigration office is not available.

If OP is worried, get guest to check in at a cheap hotel, even if sleeping at OP's house

Archived