just renewed retirement no mention of new rules

21 minutes ago, icare999 said:

800,000 in bank 

did you season for 2 months or 3, did they even suggest you keep the balance for 3 months after or mention the 400k baht balance for 12 months, very strange they didn't mention any of this or even give you an explanation sheet  

4 hours ago, smedly said:

did you season for 2 months or 3, did they even suggest you keep the balance for 3 months after or mention the 400k baht balance for 12 months, very strange they didn't mention any of this or even give you an explanation sheet  

no they said nothing just gave me my normal 1 year extension 

4 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Presumably you never touch it all year in the past, otherwise I'd be concerned about the new minimum balances rules you were not told about?

4 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Presumably you never touch it all year in the past, otherwise I'd be concerned about the new minimum balances rules you were not told about?

no i never do that for last 10+ years ive alwasy as soon as i got my extension take money and spend it and then 3 months before make sure i have 800k + and dont go below. IT is/was usually a bit of a problem getting 800k again so I had to sell some investment 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

Only Jomtien Immigration is requesting that people show up 90 days after receiving a retirement extension using 800k to show their bank book.   

Chiang Mai is the greediest Immigration Office in Thailand.  They didn't tell you about the new rules because they want you to violate the rules then they can refuse your extension next year and force you to go to an agent. 

I have kept up some of the stunts CM IO has pulled this year:

1. Refused to accept the combination method

2. Refused to accept a still valid income verification letter from the US Consulate

3. Refused to accept 40k a month and demanded 400k be seasoned for two months, when no seasoning is required, for the parent of a Thai to get a Non-Imm O visa.

well ive been here over 30 years most in CM never had a porblem yet but I dont have a cash problem luckily and make sure i keep to all rules but your right if i had not heard fo new rules id have as usual spent 800k baht in next week or so and gone next year thinking all is ok I did ask IO if I could go onto marriage visa she said id need to go to next desk to ask and added why you obviously have no problem with retirement visa. I did have a unusual large amount in bank letter having just sold some asset and not yet used money for another investment. I had 1.8 million but thats very unusual and she could see from my bank book I kept just above 800k for 3 months before and before that very low balance. 

9 hours ago, icare999 said:

your right if i had not heard fo new rules id have as usual spent 800k baht in next week

Thanks for your helpful info. Back to my original question, since you didn't hear about the new rules from the IO this visit what are you doing going forward? Eating into your balance below 800k like last year? There must be many people in your situation who haven't been told by the IO - not everyone reads this forum which is how you found out? 

• Like 1

I also had an extension of stay at CM immigration in late March by the Baht 800,000 in bank option as usual.

HOWEVER they did give me a paper to sign as acknowledgment of the new requirements passed into law ( this was in Thai and English) . Note that it only referred to the new regulations , not the actual contents. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MamaSan said:

Perhaps silly question - but - how does one get a same day bank letters AND apply at Immigration at 7:15 before any banks open?

I don't think Chiang Mai immigration requires the letter to be done on the same day you apply.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, icare999 said:

i was hoping to hear from others if they were told anything particularly in CM office 

CM are usually happy to have the bank guarantee letter dated the day prior to applying, but they DO require a transaction on the same day as the application. Will be going to CM to do my extension ( retirement with 800k in the bank) next week. Will report back on what transpires.

Edited by TigerandDog

46 minutes ago, MamaSan said:

Perhaps silly question - but - how does one get a same day bank letters AND apply at Immigration at 7:15 before any banks open?

If your bank manager is  a friend, as mine is, he will instruct his staff to date the letter the same date as you're applying for your extension, viz. I'll be seeing my bank manager on 24th and he will have the letter dated the 25th which is when I will go to Immigration.  As for having a transaction on the day of applying, I preset an online transaction for the day of applying and visit an ATM that updates passbooks on my way to Immigration.

On 4/17/2019 at 4:23 PM, MJKT2014 said:

They know that farang retirees are smart and we gossip among ourselves like like old ladies drinking sherry at an art symposium.....which some of us might just be  :whistling:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

If your bank manager is  a friend, as mine is, he will instruct his staff to date the letter the same date as you're applying for your extension, viz. I'll be seeing my bank manager on 24th and he will have the letter dated the 25th which is when I will go to Immigration.  As for having a transaction on the day of applying, I preset an online transaction for the day of applying and visit an ATM that updates passbooks on my way to Immigration.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2019 at 11:00 PM, icare999 said:

well ive been here over 30 years most in CM never had a porblem yet but I dont have a cash problem luckily and make sure i keep to all rules but your right if i had not heard fo new rules id have as usual spent 800k baht in next week or so and gone next year thinking all is ok I did ask IO if I could go onto marriage visa she said id need to go to next desk to ask and added why you obviously have no problem with retirement visa. I did have a unusual large amount in bank letter having just sold some asset and not yet used money for another investment. I had 1.8 million but thats very unusual and she could see from my bank book I kept just above 800k for 3 months before and before that very low balance. 

I suspect it will take a while to see what each IO decided or finds out the new rules.

Fortunately for me I use a marriage visa, but I know a few friends here in CM who are switching , due to lack of funds and the bad exchange rates. 

Personally I have found the new IO in CM a lot better than the old one, except the lack of food stalls.   

18 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

CM are usually happy to have the bank guarantee letter dated the day prior to applying, but they DO require a transaction on the same day as the application. Will be going to CM to do my extension ( retirement with 800k in the bank) next week. Will report back on what transpires.

They do not, an update the day before (same day as the guarantee letter) is ok.

On 4/18/2019 at 8:53 AM, MJKT2014 said:

Thanks for your helpful info. Back to my original question, since you didn't hear about the new rules from the IO this visit what are you doing going forward? Eating into your balance below 800k like last year? There must be many people in your situation who haven't been told by the IO - not everyone reads this forum which is how you found out? 

Yes it's only been news on this forum, i have not seen it mentioned in the B P at all. not told of it on my last 90 days and not given any printed information. :coffee1:

On 4/17/2019 at 3:29 PM, icare999 said:

No mention at all of new rules and was not told i had to report back in 3 months as some have suggested

Why would they bother to tell you,they have all our addresses, phone num, and email, but give out information would be to much trouble for them, they don't appear to care one iota about us.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2019 at 3:58 PM, MamaSan said:

At CW I had to wait a couple of hours in the queue. That is plenty of time to go downstairs and complete any bank business.