Should I buy a Ute and Motorbike in Thailand?

I travel around Thailand, Malaysia & Vietnam nearly every year and was thinking about buying a Ute and transporting a motorbike on the back of it. It's a waste hiring a motorbike. Would it be cheaper to buy them in Thailand or another country close by? If I want to drive into one of these other countries, will there be any problems? What Ute do you recommend? 

No small bikes allowed between Thailand and Laos, and big bikes only with an organized tour. So you could only pass through Cambodia when wanting to travel from Thailand to Vietnam, but maybe Cambodia also has limitations. Then there is the 150cc limit in Vietnam as mentioned before. Myanmar afaik also only with an organized tour.

It might be possible to bribe your way in, but that's not always certain and can cause problems later. So imho the only viable way is to rent or buy a motorbike in each country.

All sounds like unwanted headaches to me.

It's so cheap to rent these little twist and go bikes.

Also unsure about insurance in each country, i'm sure not straight forward....

Good luck.

You see plenty of thai/malaysian registered vehicles in Hua Hin. I thought about driving to Malaysia some years ago and found you need a "car visa" and licence plate before you go into Malaysia. Probably the same for a bike.  

You will find it difficult to legally buy and register these vehicles unless you are actually "resident" here, unless you buy them in the name of a trusted third party. 

Trusted third parties are as common as hens' teeth. You stand to loose your money!

If you are not too worried about the legalities, and are happy to loose the money - which could be less than rental costs - buy second hand without changing the registration. But, you will not then be able to cross borders with them.

Crossing borders is in any case fraught with potential problems. Just rent what you need, when you need. No need for maintenance, storage, etc.

Archived