Amphur marriage papers

riclag

Some Amphoes have asked for your passport to be certified by the embassy and translated to Thai.

Best to check with the Amphoe where you will be registering your marriage to find out what their requirements are.

Sorry,I'm going round and round about this with her and her friend, that works in the Amphour about this ! This is what the GF is telling me that I need a translated copy of my Passport! I mentioned the certified copy of my passport from the US embassy and I can't get by the language barrier with the (GF and and friend) 

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Sorry,I'm going round and round about this with her and her friend, that works in the Amphour about this ! This is what the GF is telling me that I need a translated copy of my Passport! I mentioned the certified copy of my passport from the US embassy and I can't get by the language barrier with the (GF and and friend) 

Some want it translated but do not require it to be certified.

There is really no reason for it to translated since the affirmation of permit to marry translation has the same info on it as the passport photo page does.

46 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Some want it translated but do not require it to be certified.

There is really no reason for it to translated since the affirmation of permit to marry translation has the same info on it as the passport photo page does.

Can I get the passport translated at the same translation service?

After researching on the internet but knowing exactly what my wife's local amphur would require, I just decided to get it all done at the same time I went to the US embassy in BKK for my affidavit of freedom to marry.  Since I had to go all the way to an Amphur in Loei, I wanted to get everything done that I could (ahead of time) just so I wouldn't have to make another trip to BKK should they request something else that I didn't bother to get.

I used a translation service next to the US Embassy to translate everything I had in English (including my passport and previous divorce decree etc.)  After translating everything, they sent all the paperwork to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) to get them authenticated.

The MFA sent the paperwork back to the agent for some minor changes and then a day or so later everything was ready for me to pickup at his office.  Total time was about 3 days from start to finish.  If I remember correctly, the price was about 3500 baht.

Went to the Amphur and got the marriage license without any problems (this was about 3 years ago though).  Good Luck!

I believe that the main reason that the Amphur wants a translated (and certified by MFA) copy of your passport is because your name on the marriage certificate is in Thai and they want it to be correct.  If authenticated by the MFA, it (should) be correct.

Western names are often not translated correctly when written in Thai, this is supposed to ensure that your name is written (spelled) correctly in the Thai Language.

From what I'm understanding as confusing as it is,they don't need(Amphu) a certified copy of my passport translated. They just want the passport translated along with the other non controversial docs.

This brings to mind another question .Did the MFA also stamp your translated passport?

3 minutes ago, riclag said:

From what I'm understanding as confusing as it is,they don't need(Amphu) a certified copy of my passport translated. They just want the passport translated along with the other non controversial docs.

This brings to mind another question .Did the MFA also stamp your translated passport?

Yes everything that was translated and approved by the MFA was stamped and signed as authentic. 

Your Amphur may or may not want to see the MFA sign off on the translated paperwork.  I did it because that's what I read on a local lawyers website and I didn't want any problems.

My "translated passport" was simply a copy of my passport pages (in English) with those pages translated on paper and then forward to the MFA for correction (if needed) and then stamped and signed as correct (authenticated I think is the term they used).

11 minutes ago, riclag said:

I think I understand what you mean.

If they don't need a "certified copy of your passport" to be translated then maybe they just want your original passport translated. 

I believe that one must go to his or her Embassy to get a "certified copy of his/her passport" which is basically a copy of your passport which is certified by your Embassy to be an original passport issued by the correct authority to you as the correct holder of said passport (or something like that).

Maybe they don't need the certified copy, just hand over your original passport and other papers to the agency you choose to translate it for you. 

Did they mention the MFA signing off on the translations?

12 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Did they mention the MFA signing off on the translations?

No! That's what I was trying to clear up with  my GF Friend that works in the Amphor! Hey if you remember who you used or the address can you PM me 

Thanks

8 minutes ago, riclag said:

No! That's what I was trying to clear up with  my GF Friend that works in the Amphor! Hey if you remember who you used or the address can you PM me 

Thanks

Sure.  My wife has the business card of the agency we used in her wallet (I believe) and she is at work now so I'll have to get back with you later tonight or tomorrow with the name and phone number.

I have the receipt here of the charges (no phone/name/add on the receipt though).

Translate Freedom to Marry Affidavit - 400 baht

Translate US Passport - 500 baht

Translate Divorce Decree - 500 baht

Legalisation Fee Service MFA 1000 baht

Legalisation Fee MFA - 800 baht

Archived