348 die in Songkran road carnage

Jonathan Fairfield

15 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

The NCPO army should not have anything to do with this and that is where Thai people need to draw the line and separate Military and domestic services. 

As long as only one person didn't die because of the army presence on the task of trying to lower the number of deaths, then your rant is stupid.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a separate press conference, National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) spokeswoman Col Sirichan Ngathong said that army, police and administrators had confiscated 6,435 vehicles (4,752 motorbikes and 1,683 cars and trucks) and 2,291 driving licences from drink drivers during April 11-16. Throughout this period, officers found 177,134 motorcyclists and 146,017 motorists violated traffic laws and prosecuted 131,674 motorcyclists and 91,499 motorists, she added.

Great statistics and how many are farang???

3 minutes ago, hansnl said:

As long as only one person didn't die because of the army presence on the task of trying to lower the number of deaths, then your rant is stupid.

Sorry. Don't buy into your calling my statement stupid for my belief the military needs to not be a part of the domestic charade. Freedom comes at a price, and this is just one more additional point of junta control. The fact they were there and flexing muscle had no bearing what-so-ever on road deaths. They were present at city places they should not be and that is disgusting. 

11 minutes ago, legend49 said:

In a separate press conference, National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) spokeswoman Col Sirichan Ngathong said that army, police and administrators had confiscated 6,435 vehicles (4,752 motorbikes and 1,683 cars and trucks) and 2,291 driving licences from drink drivers during April 11-16. Throughout this period, officers found 177,134 motorcyclists and 146,017 motorists violated traffic laws and prosecuted 131,674 motorcyclists and 91,499 motorists, she added.

Great statistics and how many are farang???

does it matter HOW many farangs???

On Wednesday (17th) I had the 'pleasure' of driving north from Mancha Kiri to Kohn Kaen. The south-bound traffic was huge. The swear-jar is overly full, as the I had trouble counting near-misses from idiot drivers overtaking, when it totally & utterly dangerous. I fear my obituary will read: KIA, head-on MVA

12 hours ago, samsensam said:

the average seven day death toll on thai roads is 462, so 348 deaths on the seven songkran days makes the holiday a comparatively safe time to travel. not that the figures aren't horrific.

I've said it before, Songkran is the safest time to be on the roads. The daily averages actually dip during Songkran. The problem is the other 358 days of the year. These improved figures for Songkran are nothing to be proud of.  The authorities won't get plaudits from me until the figures are reduced by at least half. 

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

I'm a little bit confused. The article says that 'On Tuesday alone, there were 367 crashes claiming 42 lives and injuring 381 others. Speeding was blamed for 30 per cent of accidents and drink driving for 28 per cent.'. Then the article says that 98% of arrests were drink driving arrests. This is statistical nonsense. The arrests should be consistent with the number of accidents. There were no arrests at all for speeding.

The Changwats that reported no casualties at all are a miracle.

Thailand is the hub of statistical nonsense.

16 hours ago, wgdanson said:

30% speeding, 28% drunk....what were the causes of the other 42% anyone please?

they are calling a big meeting of all the generals to work that one out. probably end up with blaming something on farangs because it might just be a bit hard for them all as 42% is probably more than what all the generals of thailands brains cells add up to.

So 30% of deaths caused by speeding.  How many people were caught speeding?  Zero, because they have no method of doing so. I was on the road on Friday, an idiot came screaming past me doing about 160 kmh, there was a police car in front of me, but didn't bother giving chase, too much effort. As for road checkpoints, all they do is create traffic jams and force people to do stupid things which create more accidents. Ever thought of having a checkpoint near a carpark, where you can channel the vehicles for checking, therefore, eliminating the traffic jam. Pretty simple thing to me???? But hey I am a farang, what would I know?

when will the RTP realise that probably more people in  the morning are drunk driving as they have not got the alcohol after last nights drinking out of their system. 

Evern in the UK the Police are aware and check more in the morning than at night 

7 minutes ago, Teacherduck said:

So 30% of deaths caused by speeding.  How many people were caught speeding?  Zero, because they have no method of doing so. I was on the road on Friday, an idiot came screaming past me doing about 160 kmh, there was a police car in front of me, but didn't bother giving chase, too much effort. As for road checkpoints, all they do is create traffic jams and force people to do stupid things which create more accidents. Ever thought of having a checkpoint near a carpark, where you can channel the vehicles for checking, therefore, eliminating the traffic jam. Pretty simple thing to me???? But hey I am a farang, what would I know?

"239,295 motorists and motorcyclists being charged with traffic violations. 

Most cases involved riding motorbikes without wearing a helmet with 64,829 incidents and failing to present a driver's licences, 57,087 cases. "

So potentially 117,379 for speeding?  oops, minus the drunks.

1 hour ago, johng50 said:

they are calling a big meeting of all the generals to work that one out. probably end up with blaming something on farangs because it might just be a bit hard for them all as 42% is probably more than what all the generals of thailands brains cells add up to.

No, you're wrong... The brains go up to at least 44...

19 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Statistics that prove Thais don't give a damn about road safety or law !

Every year the same headlines the same comments about "Thai bd Drivers" - yet nothing changesWHY?

Because TV members and the authorities alike just don't understand the first basic principles of road safety - they just roll out the same archaic causes every year.......if they were barking up the right tree there would have been a change, but blaming other drivers and dictums from Nabobs doesn't work.

Change can only be achieved by a holist approach to road safety that has worked throughout the world - unfortunately in involves critical thinking and funding - two things the authorities don't want to engage in. 

18 hours ago, wgdanson said:

30% speeding, 28% drunk....what were the causes of the other 42% anyone please?

20 to 30% is the world norm for accidents involving alcohol - BTW - the figure refers to alcohol being detected at the RTI, it does NOT refer to "drunk driving" which is a totally subjective phrase.

15 hours ago, samsensam said:

the average seven day death toll on thai roads is 462, so 348 deaths on the seven songkran days makes the holiday a comparatively safe time to travel. not that the figures aren't horrific.

So  next year they will have to recall Sonkran: the 7 most safe days on roads!

2 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

ow well done idiot Thai drivers ,maybe trying reach a record kills this year ??? good luck keep trying !!!!!!

With day 7 generally having a lower number of road kills, 2019 still has the chance of coming in with a below average number of deaths.

Archived