348 die in Songkran road carnage

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, inThailand said:

Does anyone believe these numbers? 1M vehicles checked. I have never seen the tent campers get out of their chair. 

These numbers are plucked from a monkeys bottom. 

And the "tent campers" will fall over if they attempt to leave their chairs. 

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

I've said it before, Songkran is the safest time to be on the roads. The daily averages actually dip during Songkran. The problem is the other 358 days of the year. These improved figures for Songkran are nothing to be proud of.  The authorities won't get plaudits from me until the figures are reduced by at least half. 

The figures would dip even further if morons would stop throwing water at vehicles.

And will continue until they get serious about reducing.

At Road blocks most behave themselves so until they get 500 mufti cops on the road 

using their very good communication system (which they have) nothing will change

When I asked a BIB why no mufti cars he said that it was against human rights,

I told him that a drunk driver had forgone his rights but he said "NO"

I suspect that the traffic police have no budget for cars or fuel as all the fines get gobbled up by the central admin

10 hours ago, blazes said:

She said 98 per cent or 8,481 of the cases involved drink driving followed by 150 cases of driving on drugs and 11 cases of reckless driving. 

Yes, so a drunk driving recklessly only goes on the drunk stat, not the reckless stat. 

If you add together the drunk and driving on drugs stats, the stat is over 100% of the overall stat :cheesy:.

You cannot make this stuff up.

1 hour ago, OZEMADE said:

Well there you have it. The final day of the 7 days.  Ow according to the Nation we now go back to 63 road deaths a day. Happy Songkran New Year.

D53694BC-AC9F-4595-9423-67B4A9D940CB.png

What counts as an injury ?

Sprained finger ?

Bruised forehead ?

The above chart doesn't really stack up.

Same amount of injuries as accidents ?

10 accidents with 10 injuries with 1 death. 

Just doesn't stack up.

19 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I'm a little bit confused. The article says that 'On Tuesday alone, there were 367 crashes claiming 42 lives and injuring 381 others. Speeding was blamed for 30 per cent of accidents and drink driving for 28 per cent.'. Then the article says that 98% of arrests were drink driving arrests. This is statistical nonsense. The arrests should be consistent with the number of accidents. There were no arrests at all for speeding.

The Changwats that reported no casualties at all are a miracle.

Welcome to Thai math. This along with the Thai language is suppose to be the worldwide standard. Silly you. 

Same ol', same ol' nonsense rolled out every time....single issues blaming Thais for being "bad drivers".

If this was the case it would have been solved years ago.........

Until the authorities adopt a scientific approach to ROAD SAFETY (not just "driving") nothing will change.

21 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I'm a little bit confused. The article says that 'On Tuesday alone, there were 367 crashes claiming 42 lives and injuring 381 others. Speeding was blamed for 30 per cent of accidents and drink driving for 28 per cent.'. Then the article says that 98% of arrests were drink driving arrests. This is statistical nonsense. The arrests should be consistent with the number of accidents. There were no arrests at all for speeding.

The Changwats that reported no casualties at all are a miracle.

Not how you analyse RTIs and I admire your blind faith in the statistics and especially causes. Certainly have little scientific merit.

2 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

What counts as an injury ?

Sprained finger ?

Bruised forehead ?

The above chart doesn't really stack up.

Same amount of injuries as accidents ?

10 accidents with 10 injuries with 1 death. 

Just doesn't stack up.

These figures are junk.

The internationally recognised way in 

Fatal

Serious

Minor

There are, if you care to look them up quite clear definitions for each category.

There are also set parameters for compiling the stats which these don't comply to........ the WHO has a paper on how their stats are collated adjusted and interpreted.

There is also a list of sources from which the international stats for Thailand are compiled. It is not possible for the stats above to conform to this either.

4 hours ago, OZEMADE said:

Well there you have it. The final day of the 7 days.  Ow according to the Nation we now go back to 63 road deaths a day. Happy Songkran New Year.

D53694BC-AC9F-4595-9423-67B4A9D940CB.png

Which made up number is good for the lottery? 

Archived