Do you buy America stock?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the withholding tax on US dividends for foreigners, US stocks are generally unattractive.  And personally I don't want to pay a tax which goes to the US government to help fund its military-industrial complex and its overseas wars.  Far better options elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Given the withholding tax on US dividends for foreigners, US stocks are generally unattractive.  And personally I don't want to pay a tax which goes to the US government to help fund its military-industrial complex and its overseas wars.  Far better options elsewhere.

If you are not a US citizen and not resident in the US then fill in the form W8 BEN and you are tax exempt.

32 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

If you are not a US citizen and not resident in the US then fill in the form W8 BEN and you are tax exempt.

You really don't have a clue, do you? Standard rate of withholding tax is 30% (even if you fill in the form).  In some jurisdictions, with certain brokers it's reduced to 15%.

Your interest and div are taxed at 30% but your capital gain is tax free.

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

I cannot imagine the world may be like without USA. What language you may be speaking in London today, Russian? German?for example.

"

If you fall under the non-resident alien category and the only business you have in the U.S. is in investments (stocks, mutual funds, commodities, etc.) held with a U.S. dollar-denominated brokerage firm or other agent, you are subject to the following tax guidelines.

In terms of capital gains, non-resident aliens are subject to no U.S. capital gains tax, and no money will be withheld by the brokerage firm. This does not mean, however, that you can trade tax free – you will likely need to pay capital gains tax in your country of origin.

In terms of dividends, non-resident aliens face a dividend tax rate of 30% on dividends paid out by U.S. companies. However, they are excluded from this tax if the dividends are paid by foreign companies or are interest-related dividends or short-term capital gain dividends. This 30% rate can also be lower depending on the treaty between your home country and the U.S., so it is important that you contact your brokerage firm to verify the rate.

I am a US citizen but I thought the OP question was an interesting one.  If one's home country has no income tax, I wonder if the bi-lateral taxation treaties say?  And I wonder if one has USA tax free investments such as municipal bonds how those might be taxed?  I know what I do in the USA.  For those non-USAer's you would have to do some research

13 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

you will likely need to pay capital gains tax in your country of origin.

Nope. I am not resident there for tax purposes either.

You are partly correct though, Roadrunners are not only non resident aliens, we are non human!

5 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

He is correct!!!

Did you know there are other investments.  Warren buffet doesn't pay dividends, but if you bought BRKA or BRKB you would have made an average 20% since inception year over year.  Talk to a talented fiduciary investment advisor.  Or just keep doing what you're doing.  There are options... 

No. I invest in what I understand, which is Australian shares, and peer-to-peer lenders.

As a non-American, why would I want to (a) Put money into a notoriously volatile sector that pays pitiful dividends (b) fall into the clutches of the IRS, noted as the most feared tax collector on the planet?

3 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Nope. I am not resident there for tax purposes either.

You are partly correct though, Roadrunners are not only non resident aliens, we are non human!

So you are not a resident of your home country for tax purposes?  Nice gig if one can get it. 

4 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Looks like you are talking about yourself there Oxx. Da Roadrunner has NEVER paid tax in the USA nor been asked to. Been investing on the NYSE for years.

Assuming you're a foreign national, then you have been paying the tax, but don't even know it.  The tax is withheld before you receive your dividend income and (in my experience) usually isn't included in any statement.  The exact rate depends upon whether there's a tax treaty in place for your country of residence, and whether the broker implements the tax treaty rate.  The standard rate is 30%.  Thailand residents' rate is 15% (which is what I get from my Luxembourg broker).  My Singapore broker, however, doesn't implement the tax treaty and I pay 30%.

I love these threads where everyone objects to paying US Taxes but have no problem in making and taking US profits

The taxes you pay is only on PROFITS, and the taxes paid pay all of the legal and financial protections that allow you to make those profits 

7 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

The taxes you pay is only on PROFITS

Not correct.  The tax is paid on dividend income received.  If the stock price falls by more than the dividend income one will be sitting on a loss, rather than a profit.

30 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Not correct.  The tax is paid on dividend income received.  If the stock price falls by more than the dividend income one will be sitting on a loss, rather than a profit.

I've noticed governments don't refund you a realized loss on a stock, although they are very happy to tax you on a realized capital gain.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've noticed governments don't refund you a realized loss on a stock, although they are very happy to tax you on a realized capital gain.

You "just realized this"?  Welcome to the greedy world of capitalism.

45 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

I love these threads where everyone objects to paying US Taxes but have no problem in making and taking US profits

The taxes you pay is only on PROFITS, and the taxes paid pay all of the legal and financial protections that allow you to make those profits 

But to be fair you are risking your capital and can lose it all.

That said the capital gains taxes in the USA are fair with married couples making less than about $78K USD per year paying 0% in capital gains taxes. Over that amount of total income the rate is 15%.

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

Assuming you're a foreign national, then you have been paying the tax, but don't even know it.  The tax is withheld before you receive your dividend income and (in my experience) usually isn't included in any statement.  The exact rate depends upon whether there's a tax treaty in place for your country of residence, and whether the broker implements the tax treaty rate.  The standard rate is 30%.  Thailand residents' rate is 15% (which is what I get from my Luxembourg broker).  My Singapore broker, however, doesn't implement the tax treaty and I pay 30%.

You need to check the capital gains rates on the US IRS website. The top capital tax rate in the USA is 20% if you are married and making more that $479K per year. A married couple making less than $77K pays 0% on capital gains and if yo make more than $77K and less than $479K you pay 15%.

If you are paying 30% capital gains on US stocks you need to get another broker because you are being ripped off.

I love these threads where everyone objects to paying US Taxes but have no problem in making and taking US interest and dividends 

The taxes you pay is only on dividends and interest and the taxes paid pay all of the legal and financial protections that allow you to make those interest and dividends   

31 minutes ago, Ahab said:

You need to check the capital gains rates on the US IRS website. The top capital tax rate in the USA is 20% if you are married and making more that $479K per year. A married couple making less than $77K pays 0% on capital gains and if yo make more than $77K and less than $479K you pay 15%.

If you are paying 30% capital gains on US stocks you need to get another broker because you are being ripped off.

I didn't even mention capital gains.  I wrote about withholding tax on dividend income.  There is no US CGT on foreign nationals' gains on stockmarket investments.

2 hours ago, Ahab said:

You "just realized this"?  Welcome to the greedy world of capitalism.

Did I give a time frame for my realization? Odds are pretty good I knew it when you were still in nappies.

Archived