Re Entry Visa Phuket International Airport

I screwed up there because i emailed the Thai Embassy and they told me i didn't need one. Now my retirement visa is cancelled with more than 11 months remaining, i'm on a 30 day tourist visa and i have to get a Non O and the then reapply for a new retirement visa.

I left the country while i had a valid retirement visa and didn't have a re-entry permit so when i came back, my retirement visa was cancelled and i was given a 30 day tourist visa.

See attachment

What happened was i got dengue fever and wanted to see a doctor outside Thailand so i flew out late on Friday night, something i regret.

visa.png

21 minutes ago, haymanpl said:

I left the country while i had a valid retirement visa and didn't have a re-entry permit so when i came back, my retirement visa was cancelled and i was given a 30 day tourist visa.

You did not have a retirement visa. You had a extension of stay based upon retirement which is what the stamp states it is.

image.png.845c24d727732cb0327fb824389eab26.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haymanpl said:

Your confusion is a common one. In many countries, there is no distinction between a visa and a permission to stay. In Thailand, they are quite different. Your permission to stay (optionally extended) ends when you lave Thailand. To protect your permission to stay (normally what you want if you do not have a valid, unexpired visa) you need a re-entry permit.

If you ask an official whether you need a re-entry permit when you have a valid one-year visa, they may just tell you "yes" without verifying whether you really mean a visa. Also, if you ask a consular official about an extension of permission to stay from an immigration office inside Thailand, they are quite likely to give you incorrect information anyway. Only trust what Thai officials say about the services they provide themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, haymanpl said:

Whats the difference between a retirement visa and a extension of stay based upon retirement?

There is really no visa called a retirement visa but a OA long stay visa issued by a embassy or official consulate in you home country comes close to it.

A extension of stay based upon retirement is an extension of a permit to stay you got from a visa. A visa only allows you to enter the country.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, haymanpl said:

Whats the difference between a retirement visa and a extension of stay based upon retirement?

Firstly a Visa is obtained at a Thai Embassy or Consulate outside the country.

An Extension is obtained in country at an Immigration office.

There isn't, per-se, a Retirement Visa, but a group of Visas (Non ImmO categories OA, OX etc) are used by retirees to stay long term in Thailand.

Sadly, Extensions of Stay based on retirement (obtained at Immigration Offices) are frequently referred to as Retirement Visas, by many people, including Visa Agents and Immigration Officer too. It causes occasional confusion.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is really no visa called a retirement visa but a OA long stay visa issued by a embassy or official consulate in you home country comes close to it.

A extension of stay based upon retirement is an extension of a permit to stay you got from a visa. A visa only allows you to enter the country.

Ubonjoe

Re_entry

What happens if you not return as date stamp on your Re-entry indicated date but later ?

Thank you

3 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Re_entry

What happens if you not return as date stamp on your Re-entry indicated date but later ?

If you have a re-entry permit it has expiration date on it. If you enter after that day you will only get a 30 day visa exempt entry if you qualify for one,

I mean they even write under the extension, that you have to ask for a re-entry permit.

"To keep your stay permit re-entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand"

It's a sad story, that you lost the 11 months. But at the end everytime inform yourself about the conditions. 

Firstly a Visa is obtained at a Thai Embassy or Consulate outside the country.
An Extension is obtained in country at an Immigration office.

There isn't, per-se, a Retirement Visa, but a group of Visas (Non ImmO categories OA, OX etc) are used by retirees to stay long term in Thailand.

Sadly, Extensions of Stay based on retirement (obtained at Immigration Offices) are frequently referred to as Retirement Visas, by many people, including Visa Agents and Immigration Officer too. It causes occasional confusion.

I have never really understood with whom this causes confusion. Whenever someone mentions marriage visa, or retirement visa, I and those I talk to have always fully understood what was meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have a re-entry permit it has expiration date on it. If you enter after that day you will only get a 30 day visa exempt entry if you qualify for one,

Then, to avoid surprises, it is better to indicate the return date later and return earlier ?

11 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Then, to avoid surprises, it is better to indicate the return date later and return earlier ?

It makes no difference what dates you put on the application form.

The re-entry permits expiration date is the same date the permit to stay it is issued for ends.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It makes no difference what dates you put on the application form.

The re-entry permits expiration date is the same date the permit to stay it is issued for ends. 

I have O A retirement one year. Yes, this is the logic, but I hope that when I arrive in Suvarnabhumi immigration will not tell me to wait at the airport for the date I put on the document  same film Terminal ????

Thank you ubonjoe you are the best

9 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

I have O A retirement one year. Yes, this is the logic, but I hope that when I arrive in Suvarnabhumi immigration will not tell me to wait at the airport for the date I put on the document  same film Terminal 

The only dates on a re-entry permit is the date of issue and date it expires. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sealbash said:

I have never really understood with whom this causes confusion. Whenever someone mentions marriage visa, or retirement visa, I and those I talk to have always fully understood what was meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

And I am perplexed as to why you do not see this as causing confusion. I have seen examples of it many many times here on Thai Visa. If a person wants to ask a question, it is usually important to know what he is talking about first.