When to renew retirement visa.

8 hours ago, OzMan said:

My Retirement visa was issued last November but I moved to Thailand in January

It seems you may of applied for a OA long stay visa at an embassy or official consulate in November but did not use it to enter the country until January.

When you entered the country you would of gotten a one year permit to stay if you have OA visa. 

If you leave and re-enter the country prior to the date it expires in November you would get a new one year entry. 

If you have not left and re-entered the country and do not do one prior to November you would have to apply for a extension of stay in January.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

My O-A visa expired on 28th November. Today (1st December) I returned from overseas and was told that my O-A visa had expired and they gave me a 30-day visa and was told to go to Immigration to renew my O-A. What confused me was that when I entered Thailand a month ago I got a stamp saying that I could stay until 1st November 2020. At the airport they told me that I could have stayed in Thailand until 1st November 2020 as long as I did not leave the country. Since I left the country again two weeks ago the 1 year extension no longer applied and I am now without an O-A visa. On Monday I need to visit Immigration to renew my O-A visa. I hope that I can do it on Monday as I leave Thailand again on Tuesday evening returning just before Christmas.

This turned out to be a problem as in Benin, West Africa, where I worked the last two weeks, they would not let me on the plane to return to BKK as my O-A visa had expired a few days before. After 1/2 hour held up at Benin airport I started shouting at the Benin passport man that I lived in BKK and he let me onto the plane.

2 minutes ago, OzMan said:

My O-A visa expired on 28th November. Today (1st December) I returned from overseas and was told that my O-A visa had expired and they gave me a 30-day visa and was told to go to Immigration to renew my O-A. What confused me was that when I entered Thailand a month ago I got a stamp saying that I could stay until 1st November 2020. At the airport they told me that I could have stayed in Thailand until 1st November 2020 as long as I did not leave the country. Since I left the country again two weeks ago the 1 year extension no longer applied and I am now without an O-A visa. On Monday I need to visit Immigration to renew my O-A visa. I hope that I can do it on Monday as I leave Thailand again on Tuesday evening returning just before Christmas.

This turned out to be a problem as in Benin, West Africa, where I worked the last two weeks, they would not let me on the plane to return to BKK as my O-A visa had expired a few days before. After 1/2 hour held up at Benin airport I started shouting at the Benin passport man that I lived in BKK and he let me onto the plane.

Did you have a re-entry permit?

you should have obtained a re-entry permit from local immigration office or the airport as you left the country, that would have kept your 1st november permission to stay stamp alive,

you will have to start the process again, with a fresh non immigrant 'O''A' visa from your home country or a conversion to a non immigrant 'O' visa within Thailand, or or a fresh 'O' visa from a nearby country but for the last 2 options you will require 800,000thb in a bank account within Thailand in order to do that.

1 minute ago, OzMan said:

On Monday should I go to Immigration and apply for a Non Imm O visa? Otherwise I am returning to Australia on Tuesday and can apply for another O-A from there if that is best.

Just remember that if you go the O-A route, the mandatory insurance rule is in effect now for all new Non O-A Visas.

On 11/30/2019 at 6:11 PM, OzMan said:

I did not get a reentry visa when I last left, just the usual triangular stamp saying I left the country on 15th November.

Yes, sorry to say you made an error there. The Non-Imm_O-A is valid only for a year, but each entry during that time gives a one year Permission to stay. If you leave without a Re-Entry Permit, that one year permission is ended/ no longer in effect. 

You can return to Oz for a new Non-Imm-OA, note you will need Medical Insurance, for the Visa AND any subsequent extension. Or obtain a NOn-Imm-O as detailed by posters above. 

You should seriously consider a non-O visa followed by a 1 year extension. A non-O does not require insurance. That isn’t to say you shouldn’t have insurance but at least you can do it on your own terms. There are financial requirements like those for an OA. You can get an O visa outside the country or convert a visa exempt inside Thailand. You wait a couple of months and can then apply for a 1 year extension. Search this group for more details.

• Like 1

I arrive in BKK on 19th December and will apply for a 30-day visa on arrival. I fly out on 25th January - 38 days later. How can I extend my 30-day visitors visa by 8 days? Do I need to leave the country again for a weekend or will Immigration extend it?. I could apply for an O visa on the 20th December but I cannot risk Immigration keeping my passport beyond 24th January.

9 minutes ago, OzMan said:

I arrive in BKK on 19th December and will apply for a 30-day visa on arrival. I fly out on 25th January - 38 days later. How can I extend my 30-day visitors visa by 8 days? Do I need to leave the country again for a weekend or will Immigration extend it?. I could apply for an O visa on the 20th December but I cannot risk Immigration keeping my passport beyond 24th January.

There is no 30 day visa on arrival it only allows a 15 entry after applying for it and it only for those from certain countries.

You would get a 30 day visa exempt entry that does not require a application for it. You just use your passport and arrival card when enter the country.

You can extend the 30 day visa exempt entry for 30 days at a immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

Immigration does not keep passports after any application that is done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You can extend the 30 day visa exempt entry for 30 days at a immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

I thought in the past you could extend any visa for a duration of 50% of the original visa. Am I wrong or did this change?

4 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I thought in the past you could extend any visa for a duration of 50% of the original visa. Am I wrong or did this change?

Visas are not extended. 

There has never been a rule that limited an extension of a permit to stay to 50% a visa allowed.

Only visa exempt and tourist visas entries can be extended for 30 days. A non immigrant visa entry can only be extended for a specific reason that can be up to 60 or 90 days or 1 to 2 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Visas are not extended. 

There has never been a rule that limited an extension of a permit to stay to 50% a visa allowed.

Only visa exempt and tourist visas entries can be extended for 30 days. A non immigrant visa entry can only be extended for a specific reason that can be up to 60 or 90 days or 1 to 2 years.

If I went to Immigration on 20th December and asked to change my on-arrival tourist visa to an O-visa they would not keep my passport? 

10 minutes ago, OzMan said:

If I went to Immigration on 20th December and asked to change my on-arrival tourist visa to an O-visa they would not keep my passport? 

They do not keep your passport. They will tell you to return in about 2 weeks to get the visa and entry stamps done in your passport.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They do not keep your passport. They will tell you to return in about 2 weeks to get the visa and entry stamps done in your passport.

Thanks everyone, particularly ubonjoe, for the information.