Changing retirement extention to work permit

I own a company in Pattaya that qualifies 2 work permits.

I am currently on a retirement extension but have decided to become active in the business, café/guesthouse and want to switch to a work permit and drop the retirement visa all together. What is the procedure and would I need to leave and return to the country. My retirement extension renews May 10th. Thanks in advance for any advise.

The problem you will have is that most work permit offices will not accept an application for a work permit when on an extension based upon retirement.

You will need to leave the country to get a tourist visa to apply for the work permit and obtain a application approval letter needed to apply for a non-b visa so that it can be issued which will require 2 trips out of the country.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need to leave the country to get a tourist visa to apply for the work permit and obtain a application approval letter needed to apply for a non-b visa so that it can be issued which will require 2 trips out of the country.

You will not need to do two trips if you stay outside the country until you get the approval letter.

I did this recently..

Your agent / rep here will need to have sufficient evidence that you are outside thailand when they apply for the WP3 letter. Eg Copy passport exit stamp/ evidence such as where you are entry stamp if you have one/ evidence hotel staying at.

It takes a minimum 3 working days to get the WP3 Letter in bangkok. 

Then i had the letter sent to me by courier and applied for the non-imm b business visa where i was staying.

In my case i went to manila. 

Check the various countries embassies document requirements 

For the non-b. I was told that some may not require the WP3 letter , but it is stated on the immigration rules on the thai website.

Good luck with the business.

One thing to check will be how keen Immigration are to re-issue you a new retirement visa in the future, should you want to reapply.

I let my retirement visa lapse in 2015 because I was working on a contract in another asian country.

When I reapplied in 2018 I was given a verbal warning from the Immigration officer that I should renew this one every 12 months even if I start a new contract because they wouldnt let me start the process from scratch a third time. Why thats the case I cant say.

Something others havent mentioned. If you married then just change to a marriage extension before May 1oth. No leaving the country and once the marriage ext is approved (usually 30 days after the application) then you can start the Work Permit process. Yes there is a lot more paperwork involved (but easy if you follow their regulations).

You don't have to inform the retirement desk of your intention, just front up to the Marriage desk.

But of course if you are not married then I'm sure the others will give you their best advice..good luck