PM Prayut not satisfied with Songkran road accidents toll

webfact

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

I have said before that there are only  250,000 coppers for a population of about 65 million people. And Thailand is a very BIG country......so therefore Police Force is very small to enforce any laws...

Britain, with a similar population, has half the number of police officers!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Just back from Vietnam. EVERY bike rider wore a helmet. (A tribute to their police force?)  EVERY rider sounded their horn EVERY five seconds. (The latter practice could get you killed here.)

There are always fewer deaths during Songkran as the roads are choked with traffic.  Wait till some space opens up so the speed level can increase, then you'll see the figures climb.

More to do with the yearly steady flow of daft folk taking themselves out...

I have said before that there are only  250,000 coppers for a population of about 65 million people. And Thailand is a very BIG country......so therefore Police Force is very small to enforce any laws...

"So therefore" you're just making a subjective assessment without citing any facts (e.g., statistics of police officers per capita). Assuming your numbers are right, Thailand has ~4 officers per 1,000 residents. That's roughly the same as a lot of major U.S. cities (e.g., New York has 4.18 per 1,000, Chicago 4.42, and Miami only 2.49!).* In my time in Thailand, I never thought "gee, there aren't enough employees of the state around."

*Source: https://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/law-enforcement-police-department-employee-totals-for-cities.html

I can't remember the last time I saw a cop where I live regarding traffic...I live in a big town. Where are they...?

2 minutes ago, Teacherduck said:

I must be dreaming.  I thought there was a democratic election, and he did NOT get a majority, and he is still PM.  Must be a coronation coming soon and he wants to be "KINGPIN".  

Hence my question earlier about whether I'd get funny looks just calling him "Gen. Prayut." I'm not teaching social studies, and limit my activism to my native country (i.e. I'm not going to Thailand to get involved politically), but I'm not sure I can use the title "President" or "Prime Minister" with a straight face in a country with an unelected leader.

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Ok I am going to get bashed ????, but was the situation any better under previous leaders ?...were they trying to do anything or just making the usual nonsense statements ?....... just asking...

In the 16 yrs I've been here I've never seen a reduction but even if Prayut was raising people from the dead you'll please no one here. Most expats blame him for causing them to not having enough money to cover a visa.

A post containing a disallowed reference to the PM has been removed:

A post commenting on moderation has been removed.  

10) Do not comment on moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. This also includes posting an emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. 

You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

But he did shift the dialogue away from previous statements that something was going to be done within 5 days to tackle the dangerous pollution in the North. 5 days long past and gone.  And today's AQI in CM is:

2004825138_Screenshotfrom2019-04-1812-32-56.png.65d036230ac45425ae7f6323f2e5f3d8.png

So, should we expect the road carnage to be addressed too within 5 days?  Wow! Can't wait!

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

In the 16 yrs I've been here I've never seen a reduction but even if Prayut was raising people from the dead you'll please no one here. Most expats blame him for causing them to not having enough money to cover a visa.

Most expats blame him for being a non elected coup lying ex-general. He can say nothing he like without accountability to the people. That’s why he is being blame for saying a lot but really not doing much. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

PM not satisfied with Songkran road accidents toll

The PM is not satisfied with many things. Does nothing please him?

It has taken nearly five years for him not to be satisfied about the year on year road toll but only now does he speak out.

I can remember when he wasn't satisfied with Lamyai's twerking and the lotteries and the pavements and beach chairs. In his mind does that put the road toll at the same level as these other "important" issues that caught his attention for rectification.  

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Most expats blame him for being a non elected coup lying ex-general. He can say nothing he like without accountability to the people. That’s why he is being blame for saying a lot but really not doing much. 

I agree, definitely not the 'ideal' situation politically. While loud motorbikes and partying teens can be annoying at least I don't have to listen to war weapons fired on my soi or getting my ass burned going to a torched mall or read about another child being the victim of a RPG round. While I agree accountability to folks has a low priority, what I've seen here since '03 is that NO politician has been accountable to anyone and the ones that were being held accountable to the people, ran out of the country like the rats they were.   

8 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Any opportunity to remind opponents who is still in-charge.  Surprise there was not a photo shoot...

It's not finished yet. Still time for a photoshoot. Oh! wait, Where's BJ? :cheesy:

21 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I agree, definitely not the 'ideal' situation politically. While loud motorbikes and partying teens can be annoying at least I don't have to listen to war weapons fired on my soi or getting my ass burned going to a torched mall or read about another child being the victim of a RPG round. While I agree accountability to folks has a low priority, what I've seen here since '03 is that NO politician has been accountable to anyone and the ones that were being held accountable to the people, ran out of the country like the rats they were.   

Yes we read lots about those killings on both sides with large portion of fatalities by the hands of soldiers firing war weapons from their armoured vehicles or military snipers. We also read about indictments on one side and those who choose to live aboard than end up dead in the cells or dumped in Mekong River. The fortunate correctly aligned need not fear the law too. 

I was just reading an article on the tickets handed out in Phuket during Songkran. Over 900 failure to wear helmets, over 500 driving without a license and I believe third most was a failure to wear seatbelts, and still a couple of days to add to the totals. Note, those were tickets handed out which does not include direct contributions to tea money. If they kept this enforcement going year round the population would soon learn to comply with the law because they will be caught and fined if they don't. It is not the law, or fines that have to change, its enforcement.

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

Just back from Vietnam. EVERY bike rider wore a helmet. (A tribute to their police force?)  EVERY rider sounded their horn EVERY five seconds. (The latter practice could get you killed here.)

There are always fewer deaths during Songkran as the roads are choked with traffic.  Wait till some space opens up so the speed level can increase, then you'll see the figures climb.

I live in Vietnam now, and certainly from a cyclists point of view it does not feel safer here than on Thai roads. They are not going quite as fast as in Thailand, but it is even more chaotic, and the constant honking - even on completely empty roads - gets on your nerves like nothing else. Makes it meaningless too:When everybody honks all the time it is not a warning signal anymore. 

But one thing is better here :when you rage at motorcycles that  cut you off in a highly dangerous manner, the Thais will rage back (have come close to physical altercations several times in Thailand), here in Vietnam they just grin (probably think what strange creatures these farangs are) 

10 hours ago, mikebell said:

Just back from Vietnam. EVERY bike rider wore a helmet. (A tribute to their police force?) 

There are two reasons for this:

1. A police force that enforces the laws.

2. Vietnam introduced a helmet law some years ago, set a time limit for the start of enforcement, and on the date confiscated the bike and fined the rider when a helmet was not worn.

Worked like a charm.

Archived