Seriously ill Scots Instagram model Rebekah Fulton remains stranded in Thailand over ‘fitness to fly’ certificate

webfact

STUCK ABROAD 

Seriously ill Scots Instagram model Rebekah Fulton remains stranded in Thailand over ‘fitness to fly’ as she’s treated for rare brain infection

The 25-year-old is currently in hospital in Phuket where she became unwell just days before she was to start a new job in the country

By Jonathan Whitelaw

screenshot_9060.jpg

The influencer regularly posts pictures of herself on her travels//REBEKAH FULTON/FACEBOOK

A SERIOUSLY ill Scots Instagram model remains stranded in Thailand over a "fitness to fly" certificate.

Rebekah Fulton is currently sedated in hospital in Phuket, with experts saying that an infection has spread to her brain.

Dad James Geddes, 48, has set up a Go Fund Me to help raise funds to bring her home.

Over £20,000 has been raised by campaigners so far.

Rebekah distraught dad has now revealed that he is waiting on clearance to let her fly home.

And he hopes that a certificate will be passed in the next few days.

Full story: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/4134082/scotland-instagram-rebekah-fulton-fitness-to-fly-thailand-infection/

--THE SCOTTISH SUN 2019-2019-04-18

RELATED: Make sure you're covered in case of a medical emergency in Thailand

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, EL159 said:

So glamorous these kind of people but cant spend 30 quid on travel insurance then expects the rest of us to pay her bill?

In the other thread somebody noticed already that she has been staying in Thailand since a few years, so the typical travel insurance would not have covered her and a real heath insurance would have cost her a bit more, of course she should have gotten a real health insurance.

She is also not really "stranded" in Thailand, because this has been her home for quite a while.

49 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

20 Grand would get her home wouldn't it?

Expected she has Encephalitis and medical care has already increased to 70K pounds. Currently sedated, so unless can be woken up, flight and medical team to UK will be expensive.

1 hour ago, EL159 said:

So glamorous these kind of people but cant spend 30 quid on travel insurance then expects the rest of us to pay her bill?

Travel insurance, I don't have time for that! 

In spite of my opinion of these shallow Instagramers, I hope she has a full recovery from this illness. 

I was not even sure how encephalitis was spelt !!????........and exactly what it was (as she is alleged to have it)...so here's what they say it is...

Encephalitis (en-sef-uh-LIE-tis) is inflammation of the brain. There are several causes, but the most common is viral infection.

Encephalitis often causes only mild flu-like signs and symptoms — such as a fever or headache — or no symptoms at all. Sometimes the flu-like symptoms are more severe. Encephalitis can also cause confused thinking, seizures, or problems with senses or movement.

Rarely, encephalitis can be life-threatening. Timely diagnosis and treatment are important because it's difficult to predict how encephalitis will affect each individual.

(More details if interested, on the referenced link below)

ref. : https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/encephalitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20356136

It seems that this Go fund Me become the thing to go to and rely on instead of buying an insurance policy... what with all those people who has thousand of dollars/Euro for tickets, accommodations and activities but not for a travel insurance that cost a fraction of the above?...

2 hours ago, EL159 said:

As go fund me is based upon voluntary contributions no one is expected to do anything.

You can choose to help or not. 

This is a different phase to the story.

It's probable she'd be better off staying where she is until she is fit enough to fly but dad seems to insist she flies home, probably against medical advice, but the airlines won't take her without a certificate. Of course the medical bills are mounting and dad wants her back to the UK where the NHS will pay ............ assuming that she's not considered non-resident after spending a long time outside the country. Difficult one.

This is a different phase to the story.

It's probable she'd be better off staying where she is until she is fit enough to fly but dad seems to insist she flies home, probably against medical advice, but the airlines won't take her without a certificate. Of course the medical bills are mounting and dad wants her back to the UK where the NHS will pay ............ assuming that she's not considered non-resident after spending a long time outside the country. Difficult one.
Think if your out the UK for 18 months or more..you have non resident status

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, sungod said:

How do I become an 'Instagram model?'

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Be a good looking girl, upload sexy pictures, get in contact with rich people and be willing to do everything they demand http://tagthesponsor.com/

And don't forget to tuck it under when you take the bikini photos. ????

6 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I was not even sure how encephalitis was spelt !!????........and exactly what it was (as she is alleged to have it)...so here's what they say it is...

Encephalitis (en-sef-uh-LIE-tis) is inflammation of the brain. There are several causes, but the most common is viral infection.

Encephalitis often causes only mild flu-like signs and symptoms — such as a fever or headache — or no symptoms at all. Sometimes the flu-like symptoms are more severe. Encephalitis can also cause confused thinking, seizures, or problems with senses or movement.

Rarely, encephalitis can be life-threatening. Timely diagnosis and treatment are important because it's difficult to predict how encephalitis will affect each individual.

(More details if interested, on the referenced link below)

ref. : https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/encephalitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20356136

The rest of us knew ????

8 hours ago, EL159 said:

She doesn't expect anything from you. She's unconscious in the hospital with a brain infection. If you don't want to donate, don't donate. Even when one has travel insurance, what is the likelihood that it covers a a medical evacuation? Zero.

8 hours ago, EL159 said:

Shamelessness abounds in today’s world ...  internet beggars ... sorry she’s sick but pay your own bills !

I don't pretend to be a doctor and don't want to be cynical (but maybe I am!). However, with hospital bills mounting up, could there be another reason that the certificate is being withheld?

Thai hospitals are like Hotel California. "You can check out any time you like" (if you stand up for yourself and have the money), but if not... "You can never leave!"

Very little empathy on TV. O.c. everybody should have healthcoverage. Am I wrong or do most of these published cases concern Brits, then probably Aussies? Are they used to be taken care of by Government healthcare and are therefor less informed or concerned? 

Wishing that girl to recover fast and travel the world for many years to come. 

Happy to see others be lucky, successful and active. MS>

As much as I feel sorry for the poor gal, it really is chickens coming home to roost.

Travel insurance isn't the issue, she'd been living in Thailand for 18 months, and I'm assuming on some kind of long stay visa.

In which case, she's young, she could easily have bought a decent health insurance policy from Aetna or the like.

Then again, we all think we're immortal at that age!

Archived