Seriously ill Scots Instagram model Rebekah Fulton remains stranded in Thailand over ‘fitness to fly’ certificate

webfact

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone please explain what an instagram model or an ' influencer' is? 

Who, what and how do they influence? The easily lead? Or the very naieve? The gullible? People who believe anything they view on the internet? 

Has any member of this forum been ' influenced' by these internet Legend's ? 

Not me.

Hope the young lady gets well soon. 

17 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Who, what and how do they influence? The easily lead? Or the very naieve? The gullible? People who believe anything they view on the internet? 

Not me.

It basically cheap marketing aimed at those under retirement age who use social medial (facebook, Instagram etc)....

You were easily enough lead, gullible enough and naive enough in your day to believe Magazine, Newspaper and TV adverts along with the occasional junk letter...  and perhaps migrated to being influenced by adverts which arrive on your computer browsing screen. 

TV shows such as holiday programs, Top Gear also influenced us... 

After reading this, some guys will still be convinced that nothing could influence them, they are their own man... But think back to the last car you bought... what opinions did you have and how did you arrive at those opinions - something / someone influenced you and it was probably an advertisement or someones review. 

We're influenced in every step of our lives without even realizing it.... or rather our egos refuse to allow us to accept we can be influenced.

Social influencers are just the latest in a successful line of marketing and the more social influence you have, the more perks you get for simply 'liking something' or having your 'photo taken with a product' etc... 

It basically cheap marketing aimed at those under retirement age who use social medial (facebook, Instagram etc)....

You were easily enough lead, gullible enough and naive enough in your day to believe Magazine, Newspaper and TV adverts along with the occasional junk letter...  and perhaps migrated to being influenced by adverts which arrive on your computer browsing screen. 

After reading this, some guys will still be convinced that nothing could influence them, they are their own man... But think back to the last car you bought... what opinions did you have and how did you arrive at those opinions - something / someone influenced you and it was probably an advertisement or someones review. 

We're influenced in every step of our lives without even realizing it.... or rather our egos refuse to allow us to accept we can be influenced.

Social influencers are just the latest in a successful line of marketing and the more social influence you have, the more perks you get for simply 'liking something' or having your 'photo taken with a product' etc... 
In other word..would be con artists

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Model, influencer, I think she's a scrounger.

Or at least her parents are.

They think the world should look after their little darling because she brings so much pleasure to others by living it up on a sunny beach in a bikini.

Here's an idea jock, take care of your kids, sell your house and get her home.

Obviously not a celebrity that's why she's only got a paltry 20,000.

Waster child from skint parents.

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Not me. 

It's just a type of advertisement, maybe you are just not the target audience ????

The influencers post stuff on Instagram (or other social medial platforms) which people might like and who then decide to follow them.

For example a woman might post fashion outfits which she likes. Her followers like her style and tend to buy the products which this girl is wearing, so she is influencing these people in what to buy.

Then there are companies which pay these "influencers" for wearing their products and recommending them, so that the influencer's followers buy this product.

Here one example (was just one of the first profiles which showed on Google when i searched for influencer thailand): https://www.instagram.com/ppaww/

You can see that sometimes she just posts a picture about what she is doing, and sometimes she posts a picture with a link to a shop or similar selling the outfit which she is wearing. For this kind of post she is paid money.

There are of course people who really earn their money by being and instagram model / influencer, for example the girl which i linked to before, she has 250k followers, so a company will pay money for it.

But there are also many girls who call themself "instagram model" often combined with "my hobby is travelling" who post pictures arround the world (especially Dubai) and their whole life looks like holiday, but strangely they have just a few thousand followers (they won't get paid for a product placement). These girls are often just prostitutes and if somebody pays them a nice holiday they will stay with him.

The scottish girl's instagram account has 7k followers, so i'm quite certain that she doesn't earn her money by advertising products. Does of course not mean that she is a prostitute, maybe just rich parents who pay for her 4 year holiday in Thailand, or maybe a boyfriend (which would make one wonder why they don't pay for her treatment)

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

As much as I feel sorry for the poor gal, it really is chickens coming home to roost.

Travel insurance isn't the issue, she'd been living in Thailand for 18 months, and I'm assuming on some kind of long stay visa.

In which case, she's young, she could easily have bought a decent health insurance policy from Aetna or the like.

Then again, we all think we're immortal at that age!

Hers is a great cautionary tale for all those long stay expats whose backup health care funding plan is to hop on a flight back to free treatment under NHS.  And those who are too young to fall victim to health problems, so why should I give up my fun money for insurance?

Plan A, of course, is to not get sick or injured.  Plan B starts getting more complicated.  GoFundMe is no substitute for planning for contingencies.

I wish her well.

3 minutes ago, balo said:

I had enough reading about this girl , influencer, blah blah blah . Go home to daddy . Bring the 20k with you and get some help. 

Skint jocks living off others.

Couldn't care less

The first thing I ask when someone tells me they are going to Thailand is, have you got health insurance and if they haven't advise them of the situation if they have accident or get sick   

Well, statistically speaking, you're probably losing out on health insurance; so you can't blame people for taking a chance. What I do object to is people getting all maudlin when things go wrong. You threw the dice and it came up all 1s, such is life. My personal view -  if I'd put all the money I've spent on insurance into a side pocket, I'd be pretty much set up to deal with any situation. And yeah, if they can twist and turn out of a situation, they will. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

2 minutes ago, nausea said:

My personal view -  if I'd put all the money I've spent on insurance into a side pocket, I'd be pretty much set up to deal with any situation.

Not quite.  Not with medical insurance. I thought like that about it with phone insurance and household insurance but when it came to Lymphoma treatment, it was clearly way over what I'd paid for medical insurance over 10+ years.

1 hour ago, nausea said:

Well, statistically speaking, you're probably losing out on health insurance; so you can't blame people for taking a chance. What I do object to is people getting all maudlin when things go wrong. You threw the dice and it came up all 1s, such is life. My personal view -  if I'd put all the money I've spent on insurance into a side pocket, I'd be pretty much set up to deal with any situation. And yeah, if they can twist and turn out of a situation, they will. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

You pay out of pocket for issues you can afford. You take out insurance for issues/catastrophies you can't afford. People pay for decades for fire insurance on their house, how many actually ever claim it? But if your house burns down, and you don't have it.oh well...I guess one could set up a gfm.

7 hours ago, Alainpm said:

Could be caused by infection after boob job maybe..  Appalling how women (and some men) today rely on life endangering tricks to reach a caricature of self esteem. Hope she recovers fully.

I think one of the earlier articles stated that she had in infection that started under the arm area... so that's what I thought too..

13 hours ago, sungod said:

How do I become an 'Instagram model?'

10 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Getting yourself a couple of fake boobies might do the trick, I figure. ????

I reckon a lot of guys on this site have real ones. :giggle:

Nonsense.
My guess is some are available that don't include medical evacuation, but both companies I have bought travel insurance from have included some level of evacuation coverage. This is one of the prime reasons I get it.

She doesn't expect anything from you. She's unconscious in the hospital with a brain infection. If you don't want to donate, don't donate. Even when one has travel insurance, what is the likelihood that it covers a a medical evacuation? Zero.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 hours ago, EL159 said:

So glamorous these kind of people but cant spend 30 quid on travel insurance then expects the rest of us to pay her bill?

Insurance doesn’t cover everything and coveres only up to a certain amount in most cases. 

And no, no one expects the “rest of us” to pay for anything. The page is there for those who want to help. 

1 hour ago, NokNokJoke said:

Nonsense.
My guess is some are available that don't include medical evacuation, but both companies I have bought travel insurance from have included some level of evacuation coverage. This is one of the prime reasons I get it.

I would imagine when you’re not conscious that it’s going to be incredibly expensive. That’s where all the fine print is either going to cover you or bite you on the ass.

20 hours ago, ezzra said:

It seems that this Go fund Me become the thing to go to and rely on instead of buying an insurance policy... what with all those people who has thousand of dollars/Euro for tickets, accommodations and activities but not for a travel insurance that cost a fraction of the above?...

It's really a shame how many people these days rely on others, just create such a GoFundMe page and many of them have lied about the real circumstances.

Her daddy is also in Phuket and where does he get his money from? She could already be in a good hospital in the UK, but there has to be another reason for the action.  I've given two poor guys some money after a serious bike accident, one of them had lost his leg and the other poor guy then passed away when brought back to Australia.

Her daddy's words: "I am trying to raise enough funds to get her home as soon as possible as she is way too poorly to fly.
"I am in Phuket with her and I understand that she is well known all over the world through her travels throughout Asia and I am respectfully appealing to everyone to give a little to bring my girl home."

Why should other people pay for both that they can fly home?  Is daddy a doctor who knows all about the seriosity of her illness? Daddy is in the shadow of his daughter, what's he doing for a living? Couldn't he pay for her daughter's flight before the story got so nebulous? The language barrier sounds incredible, I'm certain that there are English speaking doctors who know what she's really got. But regarding him, there's only one nurse who can speak some English. Doesn't that all sound very fishy? The Sun, of course, makes headlines that people believe what they read. 

The whole headline isn't really true, because she isn't stranded in Thailand, she's been living here and in other Asian countries for many years. 

But being stranded in Thailand and seriously ill sounds way more heartbreaking than an inner ear infection, doesn't it?

Daddy's statement that "she's too poorly too fly" raises a serious question. Where does he get his cash from? Is daddy in reality too poor to fly home as well?

Please don't misunderstand my post, I love to help people when I can and when it's really needed. But too many lies in the past have made such stories sometimes unbelievable. Like the "lovely women who tried to exchange fake bucks, the etc...the net is full of similar stories. 

An ordinary tourist who doesn't live in Thailand as she does would fly straight back home, without even bothering others.

I hope she's getting well very soon and is able to fly back without a medical team. 

I would imagine when you’re not conscious that it’s going to be incredibly expensive. That’s where all the fine print is either going to cover you or bite you on the ass.
Both companies I used had options for amounts for evacuation. You had to select at the time of purchase. No telling if they actually pay up, but for 20 USD a week I felt better. ( And I was an actual tourist)

On 4/18/2019 at 7:04 AM, jackdd said:

In the other thread somebody noticed already that she has been staying in Thailand since a few years, so the typical travel insurance would not have covered her and a real heath insurance would have cost her a bit more, of course she should have gotten a real health insurance.

She is also not really "stranded" in Thailand, because this has been her home for quite a while.

I cannot believe some idiots donate to this type of scam !

On 4/18/2019 at 6:57 AM, EL159 said:

So glamorous these kind of people but cant spend 30 quid on travel insurance then expects the rest of us to pay her bill?

I did not get a request to pay her bill, nor has anyone I know gotten ine. Who "the rest of us" are is puzzling. Have you gotten a request to pay her bill? 

1 hour ago, Prairieboy said:

In my humble opinion it is akin to begging on the streets.

That is opinion and you are entitled to it. It is not mine and I am entitled to disagree with your analogy. 

Nonetheless, my point stands, for like those you see begging in the streets, you have a choice. You can help those in need or you can walk on by. 

No one is being forced or is expected to help anyone. 

17 hours ago, kamahele said:

She doesn't expect anything from you. She's unconscious in the hospital with a brain infection. If you don't want to donate, don't donate. Even when one has travel insurance, what is the likelihood that it covers a a medical evacuation? Zero. 

I just checked my last travel insurance policy.

"Emergency Evacuation or Repatriation of Remains" Up to $500,000USD coverage

Now who knows what the insurance company would deem as "necessary" Emergency Evacuation. they may say you could be treated where ever you are..who knows...like all insurance, we hope we never need to find out the answers to these questions...but I wouldn't go away without it with a EE as part of the policy benefits.

Well, that's it, i suppose.  Standard minimal policies (like what i get automatically by using credit card to pay for flights) would not cover emergency evacuation, you need to make sure that whatever policy you get does cover it.  And the details will definitely specify the terms, the rules.  What...infection under the arms cannot be treated in Thailand[?] - no ways.

Archived