Seriously ill Scots Instagram model Rebekah Fulton remains stranded in Thailand over ‘fitness to fly’ certificate

webfact

Sounds like Japanese B encephalitis which is endemic here.

And fully preventable through a vaccine.

All Thais receive the vaccine in childhood so the Thai hospitals don't see many cases these days.

Travel insurance might not be the only thing she overlooked.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Can someone please explain what an instagram model or an ' influencer' is? 

Who, what and how do they influence? The easily lead? Or the very naieve? The gullible? People who believe anything they view on the internet? 

Has any member of this forum been ' influenced' by these internet Legend's ? 

Not me.

Hope the young lady gets well soon. 

i remember one girl that made it to millionaire

when internet and blogging was new,

she made reviews about fashion and became popular among teenage girls

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Sounds like Japanese B ebcephalutis which is endemic here.

All Thais receive the vaccine in childhood so the Thai hospitals don't see many cases these days.

It seems that daddy makes a couple of things up. The 'language barrier" which appears to be such a big problem doesn't seem to exist for her father. She doesn't need sedation for a critical medical reason. It's only to calm her down. Doesn't that mean that she'd be able to fly back to the UK without a medical team watching her? 

Daddy always comes up with shocking news, even when tests didn't show any proof. Here are his own words: 

Mr. Geddes has said that his daughter is in an “extremely distressing” condition and requires sedation on a regular basis to stay calm.
He said he has also struggled to communicate with medical staff at the hospital due to the language barrier.
After flying to Thailand to support her, Mr Geddes set up a fundraising campaign which has raised nearly £20,000 of its £25,000 target.
He has said his daughter is too ill to fly on a commercial flight. Source; 

Had he said his daughter is too ill to fly on a commercial flight? Why is there no comment from a medical professional stating that? 

Also, his statement turns out to be a lie. Being on a Non-visitor visa when she fell ill and was expecting to start work soon according to her father, and she reportedly would have been eligible for medical care with her work permit, which was due to be granted this week? I know that it takes a while before insurance pays enormous bills. It sounds that daddy is using some fishy arguments to make it look more severe than it might be. How soon is soon? 

From daddy:
Ms Fulton, who is originally from Paisley, Renfrewshire, had been travelling around Asia and Australia.
She was in Thailand on a non-visitor visa when she fell ill as she was expecting to start work soon, according to her father, and she reportedly would have been eligible for medical care with her work permit, which was due to be granted this week.

BTW, the title is really misleading. How can somebody be stranded in a country when living there for quite a long time? I hope that she'll get back home soon, but I don't really know if that's what she wants. How much of the story is actually true? 

Sheryl..

Exactly what is Japanese B Encephalitis??
In your opinion..should expats residing here in Thailand buy the vaccine at a hospital or a clinic as a " safety " precaution???
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Sounds like Japanese B encephalitis which is endemic here.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It is a viral brain disease spread by mosquitoes. Mainly prevelent in rural areas. Can cause death or permanent brain damage.

Yes, everyone living here should have the vaccine unless they have a contraindication to it. Particularly important  for those living upcountry or traveling there.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/j-enceph/index.html

2 doses a month apart for lifetime protection

Readily available since it is part of the normal childhood vaccine schedule in Thailand. Travel clinics will also have it.

Depending on where you get it, 1,000 - 1,500 baht per shot.

I wonder why those shots are never spruiked about by Drs in the West? for when they are told someone intends to travel LOS?

when I let (Aust) Dr know we were going out of the urban/cities to rural Thailand, and on to Myanmar, all that was Issued was a Vivaxim Jab, and the usual Malarial meds...

9 hours ago, tifino said:

I wonder why those shots are never spruiked about by Drs in the West? for when they are told someone intends to travel LOS?

when I let (Aust) Dr know we were going out of the urban/cities to rural Thailand, and on to Myanmar, all that was Issued was a Vivaxim Jab, and the usual Malarial meds...

They are...depends on who you go to for a consultation.

http://www.bumc.bu.edu/id/travel-clinic/

Japanese B encephalitis also infects pigs, cattle water buffalos and birds. Therefore rural farm areas have higher risks. Controlling mosquitoes is necessary to break the transmission cycle especially in living areas.

You mentioned the west, I’m from Vancouver Canada and received my vaccination in 2004 . It was recommended by my doctor at that time. It might be because we located within the gateway to the Pacific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did my own research before working in rural Myanmar.  Dr Google was very clear as to what vaccinations were advised ==> Japanese Encep, Tetanus, Polio, (if I hadn't already had these previously).

I did my own research before working in rural Myanmar.  Dr Google was very clear as to what vaccinations were advised ==> Japanese Encep, Tetanus, Polio, (if I hadn't already had these previously).

Don’t forget MMR just to be safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 4/18/2019 at 6:57 AM, EL159 said:

So glamorous these kind of people but cant spend 30 quid on travel insurance then expects the rest of us to pay her bill?

"The 25-year-old was granted a non visitor visa in March to begin a job at a popular hostel.

But once it was received, her travel insurance cover became invalid.

After being sponsored by a company, she was set to receive a work permit today, which meant her medical costs would have been covered.

But tragedy struck after the keen traveller fell seriously ill two weeks ago, meaning dad James is covering all bills."

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/4123126/brit-instagram-model-rebekah-fultons-dad-in-desperate-bid-to-raise-70k-as-she-battles-mystery-illness-in-thailand/

Archived