BANGKOK 26 May 2019 19:56
Kelsall

After the Purge is Complete, Will CM be Better or Worse for Those Retirees Who Remain?

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Immigration is packed with Burmese every day, they even have their own section of immigration.

They are from a neighboring country, it is just like the situation of Mexico with USA.

Many Mexicans go to USA to work at job sectors where the Americans don't want to work.

What's the latest update on retirement rules after Big Jok has left?

Will it be tougher or more lax?

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Immigration is packed with Burmese every day, they even have their own section of immigration.

Ok, that's right...forgot about that.

On 4/20/2019 at 3:56 PM, Sparkles said:

There is no purge as such just the constant moving of the goal posts which if you have been here a while is nothing new.

you're right, but I don't feel the changes have been extreme.  After 20 years of renewals very little has changed for me.  Sure, a little raising of some costs but nothing earth shattering.  Tm 30 about the worst example of a "big change".   But again, this goes on in EVERY country.  Costs of bureaucracy in Thailand much less than western countries....as are the "rules" to qualify for long term stays.  The thing that pisses me off the most is that I'm 25 years older than when I moved here permanently .  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, freedomnow said:

It seems they targeted the nationalities with proof of funds requirements that have the largest expat communities ?

immigration rules (retirement) apply to all nationalities, exceptions some neighbouring countries. there's no such thing like targeting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kelsall said:
Thaivisa is a social media forum on the internet, therefore people use abbreviations that all experienced internet users understand.  You can Google OTOH to find out what this common abbreviation means, unless you're a member of "the lazy typists brigade."

type "OTOH" instead of "on the other hand" and join lazy typist brigade! :sick:

On 4/20/2019 at 3:17 PM, CMNightRider said:

a third world Thai bank.  

I've heard many westerners give a disparaging evaluation of Thai Banks.

What I find curious is that these same people, having the advantage of living their entire working life in the west,  never managed their finances well enough to easily meet the Thai immigration requirements for retirement, yet they feel very confident in their evaluation of the Thai Banking system.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MickeyDelux said:

I've heard many westerners give a disparaging evaluation of Thai Banks.

What I find curious is that these same people, having the advantage of living their entire working life in the west,  never managed their finances well enough to easily meet the Thai immigration requirements for retirement, yet they feel very confident in their evaluation of the Thai Banking system.

Well, I have managed my finances well as have many others who are leaving Thailand.  The truth of the matter is in many ways Thailand, is a developing country but unfortunately their banking system is lagging behind.  You will never hear anyone bragging about having a Thai bank account as one would talk about having a Swiss bank account or any number of US brokerage firm accounts.

I am fairly certain those who don't believe there is a purge of western expats probably own homes here, and hang out with others in the same boat.  The westerners who rent in large condo projects would be able to see condos becoming available as expats leave their condos and apartments monthly in search of a less restrictive country.

When applying for a retirement visa from the states for example, Thai Immigration doesn't require people to deposit $25,000 (800,000 baht) in one of their Thai banks.  They just want to see your funds in a US bank, because no one would buy into such an idiotic finanical requirement just to obtain a one year visa to allow one to live in Thailand for one year.

Anyway, this exodus of westerners will just be felt by small Thai businesses that cater to western expats.  I think there will be a lot of sad Thai spouses of many of the expats who live in Thailands rural areas too but that won't affect westerners like you.  

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Isn't the definition of expat, someone who lives outside their country.

Looks to me like some people are desperate to hide the fact Thailand just doesn't want white folk living here.

You're just living in denial.

Sure, they want white folks here. Those that can meet a very minimal financial requirement.

The ones living in denial are ex-pats continually blaming all their life problems on the Thais and Thai government.

Their denial is sad, but true....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1