After the Purge is Complete, Will CM be Better or Worse for Those Retirees Who Remain?

Kelsall

12 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Please share! Where does one find these 'fine dining restaurants'?

I know a chain of them.  They have pretty golden arches outside and a friendly red haired man who greets you wearing a flashy red and yellow suite. His welcoming wai bring in all the adoring Patrons. They sell a very consistent western menu of two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese on a sesame seed bun.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mngmn said:

Please share! Where does one find these 'fine dining restaurants'?

When I lived there a while ago there was a place called the "the house" I think and a couple of places on the river and the boiled eggs at the hot springs were good.  I used to date the lady boy who worked at the brasserie so that was fun.  But the smoke was too much for me and the women to hi so - so I moved. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Why not ask the expat club if a lot less people at the meetings?

Yes, the number of attendees is down. However, the reason appears to be directly related to the air pollution numbers having been in the hazardous range. We will have to wait and see what the attendance is after the air clears to see if there are other reasons for lower attendance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I have been asking the same in other threads. Everyone is leaving, the tourists have stopped coming and the Thai economy is about to collapse, a guy in a bar told me. 

I dont know anyone leaving, and I know a guy who knows a guy, and he doesn't know anyone either.

LMAO!

Edited by findlay13
  • Like 2

Another good result might be... "an end" ...to all these posts about staying in or leaving Thailand.

How about simply doing whatever on chooses to do and pretend that nobody else really cares either way? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the new laws to serve to rid the country of those that can't afford to be here and contribute to Thailand in a meaningful way...then thats a good thing. 

But I doubt there will be any condos or cars or available cute girls to be had. These guys are living in 3,000 baht fan rooms, 30 baht street food, 7/11 beers and staying  with well past their prime bar girls.

So if you know lots of people from your circle of friends that are leaving because of visa rules, then that says more about you than anything else.

If I make it to 60 years old, and my life worth doesn't allow me to leave 800,000baht in a bank as a visa guarantee...shoot me.

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2019 at 8:58 AM, Kelsall said:

Sorry, gang I know several and I don't know that many people overall.  People are leaving.

I'm not convinced by your claims, not all all, and it seems quite a few others here are also not convinced.

• Like 2

Still don't need any amount on a Thai bankbook. 

Still don't need to transfer monthly at least 65000 Thb to Thailand. 

Still can obtain a Letter of Income at my embassy. 

This letter is still accepted with great pleasure at Immigration (practically no work for the officer).

It may change (sure some will be delighted it happens). 

In the meantime, I enjoy it here since 2000 and no plans to leave. 

I transfer monthly 2000 Euro to Thailand and spend them. 

Good I am 70+, my desiderata are different now they were, as I now only receive +/-70000 Thb for my 2000 Euro, there was a time when I got 100000.

On 4/18/2019 at 8:46 AM, Pattaya46 said:

Ok. I stopped reading the OP right after the first sentence. Way to many BS topics recently on ThaiVisa :sad:

BTW I personally know one guy who left Chiang Mai (or a bit North of it) after 6 years living there. The reason has nothing to do with Immigration but with Pollution.

Same here. I left CM, but not because of any new rules, but because of the pollution. I'm in Phuket at the moment, and completed a retirement extension with no problems.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, jesimps said:

The posts that I see from people who've decided to leave aren't because they're "on the poverty line", but because they're cheesed off with being jerked around and having an uncertain future here because of the constant changes. 

no one at immigration seems to be on the same page.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Went to Phnom Penh last week, was drinking with five or six other expats.

1 left from CM when his pension fell below 65k (exchange rates), 2 left when the Junta overthrew the elected government.

Most of them seemed happy enough living with much younger Cambodian girls, all moved over from Thailand.

I'm the last guy I know (out of my group) left in CM ..... only because of my two Thai children, the others already moved on.

i left when Bush was elected.

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2019 at 7:45 AM, Kelsall said:

I could see things getting better once those who are living essentially at the poverty line leave.  Some I know spend their days complaining about the cost of things and trying to squeeze the Thais for every last baht, thus giving us all a bad name. 

You mean “Cheap Charlies”. 

????????????

I’m still here and not living !!! ????

• Haha 1