After the Purge is Complete, Will CM be Better or Worse for Those Retirees Who Remain?

Kelsall

It seems they targeted the nationalities with proof of funds requirements that have the largest expat communities ?

As expat numbers expand and put additional pressure on immigration, the only way is to increase and increase financial requirements to cull the heard to levels they want. I've never seen reules change so frequently that are then further ammended due to all scenarios not been worked through.

Do not point with glee at the weakest links falling by the wayside, as you may be next in line at some future cash threshold...cost of living going up coupled with strong baht crushed and is crushing many brits....which also had the farce that is Brexit weakening their currency 20% over 2015 or so.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

It seems they targeted the nationalities with proof of funds requirements that have the largest expat communities ?

As expat numbers expand and put additional pressure on immigration, the only way is to increase and increase financial requirements to cull the heard to levels they want. I've never seen reules change so frequently that are then further ammended due to all scenarios not been worked through.

Do not point with glee at the weakest links falling by the wayside, as you may be next in line at some future cash threshold...cost of living going up coupled with strong baht crushed and is crushing many brits....which also had the farce that is Brexit weakening their currency 20% over 2015 or so.

I think you will find the largest ex-pat communities are Chinese, Indian and Japanese. Lots of western ex-pats like to think they are the majority but they are not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find the largest ex-pat communities are Chinese, Indian and Japanese. Lots of western ex-pats like to think they are the majority but they are not.

Largest number of expats in ChiangMai would be Burmese.

• Like 2

Thaivisa is a social media forum on the internet, therefore people use abbreviations that all experienced internet users understand.  You can Google OTOH to find out what this common abbreviation means, unless you're a member of "the lazy typists brigade."

On The Other Hand, it would be just as easy to tell him?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Largest number of expats in ChiangMai would be Burmese.

They are more migrant workers, not setting up house, retire, marrige visa etc. 

12 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Strange, I never got the impression in CM of Indians/Chinese straining immigration service whenever I was there. They must be around BKK.

Japanese, I think, have their own separate services or had in the past.

OK, I'll say western expats if they are the highest demand on immigration office services across the country ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

It seems they targeted the nationalities with proof of funds requirements that have the largest expat communities ? //

Where did you see that "they" targeted specifically these 3 countries ?

If US, UK or AU embassy decided today to provide a Letter of Income similar to what other embassies are doing, there is absolutely no reason to believe that Immigration would refuse them. It's 100% in the hand of these embassies, but looks like they don't really care of consequences for their citizens... :ermm:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

They are more migrant workers, not setting up house, retire, marrige visa etc. 

Isn't the definition of expat, someone who lives outside their country.

Looks to me like some people are desperate to hide the fact Thailand just doesn't want white folk living here.

You're just living in denial.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Do you have any official figures to validate this?

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Immigration is packed with Burmese every day, they even have their own section of immigration.

They are from a neighboring country, it is just like the situation of Mexico with USA.

Many Mexicans go to USA to work at job sectors where the Americans don't want to work.

7 hours ago, freedomnow said:

immigration rules (retirement) apply to all nationalities, exceptions some neighbouring countries. there's no such thing like targeting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kelsall said:
Thaivisa is a social media forum on the internet, therefore people use abbreviations that all experienced internet users understand.  You can Google OTOH to find out what this common abbreviation means, unless you're a member of "the lazy typists brigade."

type "OTOH" instead of "on the other hand" and join lazy typist brigade! :sick:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MickeyDelux said:

I've heard many westerners give a disparaging evaluation of Thai Banks.

What I find curious is that these same people, having the advantage of living their entire working life in the west,  never managed their finances well enough to easily meet the Thai immigration requirements for retirement, yet they feel very confident in their evaluation of the Thai Banking system.

Well, I have managed my finances well as have many others who are leaving Thailand.  The truth of the matter is in many ways Thailand, is a developing country but unfortunately their banking system is lagging behind.  You will never hear anyone bragging about having a Thai bank account as one would talk about having a Swiss bank account or any number of US brokerage firm accounts.

I am fairly certain those who don't believe there is a purge of western expats probably own homes here, and hang out with others in the same boat.  The westerners who rent in large condo projects would be able to see condos becoming available as expats leave their condos and apartments monthly in search of a less restrictive country.

When applying for a retirement visa from the states for example, Thai Immigration doesn't require people to deposit $25,000 (800,000 baht) in one of their Thai banks.  They just want to see your funds in a US bank, because no one would buy into such an idiotic finanical requirement just to obtain a one year visa to allow one to live in Thailand for one year.

Anyway, this exodus of westerners will just be felt by small Thai businesses that cater to western expats.  I think there will be a lot of sad Thai spouses of many of the expats who live in Thailands rural areas too but that won't affect westerners like you.  

• 2 months later...

"Will Immigration raise the financial requirements from 800000 THB to a million, or two?  It could happen ..."

How about the possibly of Thailand eliminating retirement visas all together ?

Once the Thai Elite program was introduced, I figured sooner or later those who want to stay long term will be forced into that.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

On 4/19/2019 at 9:10 AM, Bournville said:

Omg. Could your question be more arrogant? No it couldn't!

So if I have less money than you that makes me a worse neighbor than a rich man? 

So 63.000 baht a month... is poverty level to you? I can't write here what I think of you. 

By the time you have paid rent, bills, food, gasoline etc, 63k a month is bordering on poverty yes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, brommers said:

I dont see a purge. They are only doing what that nice Mr Trump wants to do in the USA!

Thats not true, there is a purge going on as we speak.  It's too bad Thailand doesn't have a leader like Trump.  In the U.S. a foreigner can simply show they have the funds to pay for medical care or show proof of health insurance.  They do not have to report every 90 days, fill out idoitic TM forms for their movement or apply for a one year visa extensions yearly.  

It appears in Thailand, immigration is getting more restrictive on western expats every month.  The foreigners who come here from Communist countries are accustomed to this type of harassment, so you seldom see any comments from any of these people.  

Thai Immigration is currently purging their country of western expats.  I don't believe the westerners are leaving fast enough so the Thai government decided to require forgeiners to purchase useless Thai Health Insurance plans to speed up the purge.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Thai Immigration is currently purging their country of western expats.  I don't believe the westerners are leaving fast enough so the Thai government decided to require forgeiners to purchase useless Thai Health Insurance plans to speed up the purge.  

Your constant negative attitude is rather amazing and, presuming you live here, one wonders why you continue to do so.

I don't agree at all with your premise.  Everybody I know here in Chiangmai finds CM Immigration requirements to be relatively easy to comply with.  As to your health insurance comment, nobody who is now in Thailand has to comply with it (it only applies to those who obtain an O-A visa in their home country after October 30th).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1