Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 May 2019 22:04
webfact

Patron at Thai suki restaurant injured as gas canister explodes

Recommended Posts

Patron at Thai suki restaurant injured as gas canister explodes

 

3pm.jpg

Caption: Gas canister explodes

 

Thai social media was rife with shares and comment after a man posted a story of a gas canister that he said exploded at a Moo Katha or suki restaurant in the Ram Inthra area of Bangkok. 

 

Sompong Kaew-art posted on Facebook telling Thai Rath later that he had been near the restaurant when he heard an explosion. People at first thought a tire had blown out somewhere.

 

A gas canister used to heat the charcoal for the pan on the table had exploded. 

 

Poh Teck Tung foundation medics treated a woman at the scene before taking her to hospital.

 

The story was quickly shared more than 40,000 times with 27,000 comments as Thais warned their friends.

 

Thai suki is a very popular kind of restaurant with outlets and chains throughout the kingdom, notes Thaivisa. 

 

Source: Thai Rath

 

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not think the gas is used to heat the coals.

The gas is normally used to heat the pan or food only.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, aussie11950 said:

I would not think the gas is used to heat the coals.

The gas is normally used to heat the pan or food only.

 

Quite right, gas would be used to heat the food directly, but maybe an ill-fitted gas bottle was at fault?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gas was outlawed at restaurant tables back in the 80's or 90's wasn't it. So many restaurant accidents related to them back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see remnants of an exploded gas canister here, only a stove top.

 

Under what circumstances can a gas canister explode? I thought it was supposed to be almost impossible and happens very rarely even when they are in a burning building these things are rated to survive for many hours under intense heat.

 

More likely a gas leak where the gas somehow managed to reach above the explosive limit before it was ignited.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good old Thai safety again

She would get millions in compensation if this happened in a country with real standards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That kind of stove has a removable butane gas canister (about 500cc).  It fits under the ridge on the side of the stove and locks or screws into place.  (it's been a while since I used one so I don't remember the details)  They are good for camping, but I couldn't imagine using one in a restaurant.

 

I would guess that either wear and tear led to a leak or one of the restaurant employees was careless or unfamiliar with them and didn't push it into place properly.  The canisters only last a week or so when you use them at home, so I would expect them to be changed quite often and a restaurant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2019 at 4:27 AM, webfact said:

Thai social media was rife with shares and comment after a man posted a story of a gas canister that he said exploded at a Moo Katha or suki restaurant in the Ram Inthra area of Bangkok. 

 

Sompong Kaew-art posted on Facebook telling Thai Rath later that he had been near the restaurant when he heard an explosion. People at first thought a tire had blown out somewhere.

Usual facebook BS. 

Edited by Zombieite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...