Do you have a 'Go Bag': How quickly are you prepared to leave?

Jonathan Fairfield

11 hours ago, See Will said:

Never heard of a 'go bag' and it makes no sense for me. If you pack a bag to run it won't take longer than 5 - 10 minutes. 

If I tried that (and I have), I'd have a few dozen USB cables, computer chargers, razors, and other sundries that I forgot to pack in that 5-10 minutes.   And I do.

In a real anti-farang bug out situation to escape riots and checkpoints you would need money and a nonstandard backup plan. It would take serious conflict to close major airports, but how to get there? To be to be arrested for illegal entry to Laos and deported to Hong Kong would be better than lynched.

I could leave within 24 hours if necessary. 

All I need is the passport, laptop, phones and other gadgets.

That would mean I have to leave behind my bike, big screen TV and all my cheap clothes, but if you have to go, no problem.   

Edited by balo
  • Like 2

On 4/18/2019 at 9:40 AM, Crossy said:

Indeed, I doubt the situation is going to develop in a negative direction so fast that a "Go" anything is going to be needed.

Besides, I have family here, I sure as eggs are eggs I'm not going to leave them.

Similarly, I'm not a doomsday prepper, we have generator fuel for a week or so if I ration it and a freezer full of food, but that's pretty much it.

As things currently stand, I strongly suspect that the situation is far more likely to develop rapidly in a negative direction back in my home country (UK) than it is in Thailand, with the ongoing Brexit saga and now the Extinction Rebellion climate change protests thrown in for good measure.

In any event, I also have family here whom I'm not prepared to abandon - whereas I no longer have any close family back in my home country.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

In truth, anywhere that you are not a citizen or at the very least a permanent resident, it's prudent to have a escape plan.

Especially in any volatile country!

I've said this many times before, but you are nothing more than tourists on an extension, things could always change.

Hopefully they won't.

But you plan for the worst and hope for the best

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I also have family here whom I'm not prepared to abandon

I'm the same.

I have a 7 metre deep well at the farm. It is stacked out with food and bottled water. I reckon that i could live down there for a month. By that time the anti-farang gangs might have moved on.

Also to be considered is the underground torture chambers at the Voice of America broadcasting station on the 2022. A nuclear strike would render a great deal of Isaan uncomfortable to be in. These would be a top target if it gets really nasty.

I have a contact in Bung Ran, and he has access to a boat for getting across the Mekong river. Passports will be useless. Once the people are fragmented it will be survival of the strongest.

Of course, if the US dollar collapses then the ATMs will not deliver money and the banks will be closed anyway. Those with access to gold will be in a stronger position but having a large supply of fuel will be as good as money.

On 4/18/2019 at 9:20 AM, jvs said:

I can access cash really fast,grab my passport and away  i go.

Just to add a few things,sometimes you see this in the movies,someone is told;grab your bags and go,now!!;;

They always p!ss around until the bad guys arrive.

The big question is however,where would you go??

Vietnam

On 4/18/2019 at 9:51 AM, Laddy123 said:

My Go Bag scenario has happened twice in 3 years.

Family emergencies

3pm Friday afternoon about 7 months ago.

1. Straight to big C. Stocked up the family with enough food for 6 weeks.

2. Sentosa- stacked up family with 6 weeks of nappies and 144 cartons of milk.

3. Mom and pop shop - 15 x 6 litre bottles of water.

4. Ensure lady123 has all knowledge of all accessible funds.

5. Booked flights to bkk and bkk to Heathrow. 24 hours to depart.

6. Packed my 2 pairs of jeans, laptop. 5 pairs of socks 7 pairs of pants, 1 jumper 1 jacket and 3 T-shirts, my UK sim card a passport.

Arrived in Heathrow Sunday morning 6am.

3 weeks later, returned.

Happened twice. 

Sentosa? Intrigued

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 8:17 PM, SEtonal said:

Billionaire Peter Thiel and other wealthy Americans have decided to go to New Zealand in the event of disaster.   They have built underground bunkers in New Zealand and their lavish homes have safe rooms.   Peter Thiel became a citizen of New Zealand after 12 days in the country, while others are choosing New Zealand's Investor Plus Visa.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2018-rich-new-zealand-doomsday-preppers/

I am not certain why they would select NZ, as it is as seismically active as Japan,  and more than likely will remain so.

The notion of "bugging out" of anyplace the size of BKK is just plain silly.   The roads are jacked every day as it is,  add some calamity on top of that and look out!

At that point,  fighting off the zombie hoards will not be effective.    Your best bet is to try to get out as soon as possible,  but in the mean time blend into the background as much as possible... Good luck with your white skin.   Have a way to make clean water, and a skill that people need and don't be an <deleted>... 

and of course,  panic sex (with total strangers) at the slightest sign that the human race may go extinct,  and you are it's only way of salvation.

My wife and I have the reverse consideration.  She's a Thai / British dual national.  We don't keep a 'Go Bag' but 'Go Funds' as well aware that with her ageing family sooner or later she'll need to make an unscheduled direct flight to LOS at very short notice. 

That's the way it is and I'll make sure she can return home at the earliest opportunity.

On 5/6/2019 at 4:49 AM, OneEyedPie said:

My wife and I have the reverse consideration.  She's a Thai / British dual national.  We don't keep a 'Go Bag' but 'Go Funds' as well aware that with her ageing family sooner or later she'll need to make an unscheduled direct flight to LOS at very short notice. 

That's the way it is and I'll make sure she can return home at the earliest opportunity.

Why rush there if an individual has already passed?

On 4/20/2019 at 10:31 AM, OJAS said:

As things currently stand, I strongly suspect that the situation is far more likely to develop rapidly in a negative direction back in my home country (UK) than it is in Thailand, with the ongoing Brexit saga and now the Extinction Rebellion climate change protests thrown in for good measure.

In any event, I also have family here whom I'm not prepared to abandon - whereas I no longer have any close family back in my home country.

I think you're mistaking the UK for France. The UK - a nation of shopkeepers, or property owners; as much chance there of anything radical as finding life on Mars. Too many people invested in the status quo. Of course, excluding young people from the property market might conceivably cause a problem in the future. Anyway, they, the majority, have had their little squibble; now they're wondering how to back out with least cost of face.

I always get a really good chuckle out of posts like this. People, usually Yanks, planning for $hit, go bags, disaster scenarios, etc. 

If the $hit hits the fan, then it's already too LATE.

Passport and cash is all you need, but by the time we get to the airport, it may already be too late - borders closed, flights sold out and/cancelled. 

Edited by djayz

4 minutes ago, MiNombreEsFicticious said:

Is this "Go Bag" different from the one I have that comes in handy when I can't make it to the bathroom quickly enough? 

Please share you medical problems with us, everyone else does.