Drama at Udon bank: Cop tries to save the life of US pensioner - but it's all in vain

webfact

Drama at Udon bank: Cop tries to save the life of US pensioner - but it's all in vain

5pm.jpg

Caption: Police try to save a life

A traffic policeman in Udon Thani was first on the scene after a report came in from a distraught Thai wife that her foreign husband had collapsed in the family car in a bank car park. 

Sen Sgt-Maj Charoen Janrak found Mr Melvin, an 81 year old American man, slumped in a green four door Mazda pick-up.

With the help of bank staff they got the man out of the pick-up and used a defibrillator then CPR for twenty minutes before medics of the North Eastern Wattana Hospital arrived, reported Sanook. 

He was pronounced dead at the hospital at 3pm. 

Mr Melvin's Thai wife said they had been married for 40 years and he had no known illnesses. They had gone to the bank to visit an ATM and her husband had waited for her in the car. 

He is believed to have suffered a heart attack. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-18

Sad he hadn't the deserved success get the man back to life.

But still its great to see that most Royal Thai Policemen are trained in first aid and not hesitate to give immediate help.

Well done Sir!

Many persons are afraid to help because they thinking they do wrong.

The only mistake is not to help.

30 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

80 years of health, a loving wife of 40 years and a quick painless exit.  There are worse ways to go.  RIP

I agree, this would be the way I hope to go...  RIP Amigo!

Great job to the Udon Officer, you did the best you could!

3 hours ago, Lowryderen said:

Using a defibrillator for 20 minutes as CPR? Erhmm.. That doesn't quite sound right..

That's not what is written there, dullard.

A man dies and you want to criticise those who tried to save him because of your tainted views? Disgusting.

8 hours ago, Traubert said:

A man dies and you want to criticise those who tried to save him because of your tainted views? Disgusting.

8 hours ago, Traubert said:

Agreed. Very poor comment.

RIP old mate, your wife was with you.

You didn't die alone.

And. For all the people on tvf, who chunter on about Medical Services being poor here. I think this shows that it really isn't as lousy as you would like.

Thanks for trying Policeman.

On 4/18/2019 at 9:49 AM, See Will said:

Sad he hadn't the deserved success get the man back to life.

But still its great to see that most Royal Thai Policemen are trained in first aid and not hesitate to give immediate help.

Well done Sir!

Many persons are afraid to help because they thinking they do wrong.

The only mistake is not to help.

I once witnessed a car go off the road in Pattaya.

The car was about 100 M in front of me and there was no other vehicle involved.

So I stopped to offer any assistance that I could, and was immediately accused by some Somchai who pulled up about 5 seconds later on his motorbike, of being involved in the accident, and even of causing it.

He really was going for it in a big way. Fortunately, another Thai Motorist who had also stopped to help, lambasted this guy with the Motorbike, telling him I had, as he had, stopped to help if possible, and that he was behaving in a really bad way, and should apologise. ( My missus told me all this )

Needless to say the Somchai on the bike just rode off without helping or offering me an apology.

Never again will I stop to offer any assistance to anybody in trouble in Thailand. The chances of being taken as the Perp Etc are too high, which could lead to a whole load of trouble for myself.

This is a reaction that I struggle with myself over, as I, like many others here do not like seeing people in distress when there is some kind of chance that something you do could stop that distress. 

At this point I will say that I am a MSA Senior Stager Official for Motor Rally Events in the Uk, and fully qualified in CPR , Fire Fighting and Emergency First Aid. I am also trained in vehicular extraction of a person involved in an accident.

All those humanitarian skills that I will never, ever, use in Thailand.

Archived