Police chief calls meeting after social media calls Surat "Land of 100 checkpoints"

webfact

Police chief calls meeting after social media calls Surat "Land of 100 checkpoints"

6pm.jpg

Daily News

The chief of the Surat Thai provincial police called a meeting of his traffic cops after a widely shared social media post sarcastically called his jurisdiction: The land of 100 checkpoints. 

People were fed up feeling that the police in the area over Songkran had been selective in carrying out their duties and had overdone it from 6 am to 10 pm.

They were perhaps referring to being relieved of their money by certain officers.

Pol Maj Gen Apichart Bunsrirot felt the criticism was enough to get all his men together for a review of their handling of Sonkgran.

His message to the public was that his men were there to ensure their safety and arrest people for not wearing helmets, drink driving and highway code violations among other things. 

Though he conceded that some of his men may have been a tad over zealous in carrying out their duties. 

Hence the review. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-18

Same on friendship highway number 2 between Udon and Nong Khai; completely masked up with shades and helmets. I wore my hat, shades and dust mask and the cop said to me to remove all this. After you, I said and drove off .........

10 kilometers further up they wanted B 1000 for driving 98 (which is 8km/h too fast); told him I need a receipt and was sent on my way.

This country is doomed with all that corruption everywhere - how sad. Just hope for a civil war, when Khon Thai simply had it with all that stealing, lying and cheating. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Though he conceded that some of his men may have been a tad over zealous in carrying out their duties. 

Hence the review. 

That's unusual.  If he's still in his post next year, will any of the lessons learned from this meeting, be applied?

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Same on friendship highway number 2 between Udon and Nong Khai; completely masked up with shades and helmets. I wore my hat, shades and dust mask and the cop said to me to remove all this. After you, I said and drove off .........

10 kilometers further up they wanted B 1000 for driving 98 (which is 8km/h too fast); told him I need a receipt and was sent on my way.

This country is doomed with all that corruption everywhere - how sad. Just hope for a civil war, when Khon Thai simply had it with all that stealing, lying and cheating. 

So you yourself admit to breaking the law? Hardly in a position to criticise anyone else. 

Same as the guy bragging about driving his Fortuner at 160 k/h on the what car should I buy thread. 

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

So you yourself admit to breaking the law? Hardly in a position to criticise anyone else. 

Same as the guy bragging about driving his Fortuner at 160 k/h on the what car should I buy thread. 

I had no intention to "break" the law by "speeding" 98km/h instead of 90km/h. Irrespective of that it does not allow a "pour boire" of a B 1'000 instead of a official fine which I would have been more than willing to pay - as I broke "unwillingly and unknowingly" the law! 

The only way Thailand's road carnage is going to be reduced is through traffic safety enforcement. That these long overdue efforts are being derided by some TVF members is unbelievable and irresponsible.  These efforts should be enthusiastically supported by the expat community at every opportunity.

16 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Sex, Money and Power. The Evil, Triple Alliance in many countries.

14 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Weren't many posters complaining about the lack of enforcement? 

Now complaining about it. 

The irony!! 

Traffic enforcement is hardly accomplished by stationary, "toll collectors". Mobile, proactive traffic enforcement seems lacking. To catch a speeder, reckless driver, overloaded or mechanically unsafe moving vehicle; it seems reasonable to have motorized police units on patrol. The lack thereof is ironic as well.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:50 AM, MekkOne said:

arrest someone because he's not wearing a helmet? Imagine what could happen if your tail light is broken...

Imagine riding without a helmet  in uk

Accident  rate  was down. Deaths were down.

So maybe need to re word what  wqs said 

Archived