Honda CBR250RR

jmoto

It looks a very nice bike , but shouldnt be called a CBR "RR". This bike is a few cylinders short , to be given that moniker. As with many Hondas lately , i would want to wait a year or so , to see what quality issues surface later on. Who / where is this engine / bike made.  In India , by Hero or TWS , or China , or Thailand. Its a great looking bike , but the Kawasaki 250 starts at 122K , and the 300 at 154K. This bike needs to be much cheaper than the Yamaha 300 , that has more power , and a lot more torque. Priced about 160K would be good.

https://paultan.org/2019/03/27/2019-honda-cbr250rr-now-in-thailand-at-rm32000/

While Malaysian quarter-litre motorcycle riders are still waiting for the 2019 Honda CBR250RR, neighbours Thailand has had their wait ended with the launch of Honda’s 250 cc sports bike. What is not so nice is the price – 249,000 Thai baht (RM32,000), which places the CBR250RR amongst 400 cc competition.

The reason for the premium pricing is because Thailand’s CBR250RR is sourced directly from Japan, compared to it being obtained from Indonesia. This makes the CBR250RR more expensive than the single-cylinder 286 cc Honda CBR300, which is also sold in the Thailand market.

------------------------------------------

The price in Indonesia is more like 160,000 to 180,000 Baht.

8 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Nice looking.

Probably nice riding, for what it is.

a joke of a price. 

I think the price is out of whack due to this bike being one of the few that are actually being made by Honda Japan , and is subject to some import tax. I wonder if Thailand could just import them from Indonesia , bringing the price down to about 160K. Dont forget the Yamaha R3 is only 180K , and has much more power , and the Yamaha build quality. At this price , its like the 24 BHP CRF 450  -  dead in the water.

7 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

and is subject to some import tax

There is no more import tax for motorcycles from Japan as far as I know.

250k THB for that bike is just bonkers. Who'd be stupid enough to buy that? That's a lot more than the CBR500R and putting another 20% or so on top gets you the 650cc version with three times the power. The low-cc competition from Yamaha and Kawa have more power and are a lot cheaper. I don't get it. Oh and you can't even go to Bigwing for service but have to let the small shop mechanics work on it? Bwahaha. The worst of all worlds.

'includes three different riding modes – Comfort, Sport, and Sport+ -, besides delivering an exhilarating performance using a powerful twin-cylinder engine.'....

LOL....<deleted>, what a joke ... 3 power modes for a poxy 250 twin.... rewind to circa 1990 when honda were building 250 IL4s light years ahead on performance/handling/looks ????????

49 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

'includes three different riding modes – Comfort, Sport, and Sport+ -, besides delivering an exhilarating performance using a powerful twin-cylinder engine.'....

LOL....<deleted>, what a joke ... 3 power modes for a poxy 250 twin.... rewind to circa 1990 when honda were building 250 IL4s light years ahead on performance/handling/looks ????????

"3 power modes"  Nil, Nada and Zilch.

Price is insane, considering:

CB500X - 222k

Wave 500 - 220k (a four-pack of 125i Waves)

Ninja 400 - 205k

Versys X 300 - 199k

YZF-R3 - 195k

Z400 - 186k

MT 03 - 180k

9 hours ago, William Osborne said:

I still see a couple of those knocking about my town. Both are, sadly, unregistered otherwise I might be tempted to ask about buying and get myself a restoration project. I had a CBR400RR in UK and it was a lovely bike - I'd guess the 250 is similar in character.

^ I was offered one for 35k baht in 2008. Unfortunately unregistered. 

11 years later it's probably worth 50k baht and is chock full of half-assed incompetent Thai maintenance. 

Those small cc inline 4's were built to rev. 

Combine 20+ years of being revved to the redline + Thai maintenance. No thanks. You'd really want to know what your doing and have an easy supply of legit parts.  

23 hours ago, William Osborne said:

Honda does at least have a new 400cc naked bike with an line four: https://www.greatbiker.com/honda-cb400-super-four/

But Honda didn't say yet if they plan to bring it to Thailand.

13 hours ago, jackdd said:

Honda does at least have a new 400cc naked bike with an line four: https://www.greatbiker.com/honda-cb400-super-four/

But Honda didn't say yet if they plan to bring it to Thailand.

I wouldn't call the Super Four new. Been around for more than 25 years ????

But yea they still make and update them from time to time. I think it would sell pretty decently in Thailand at the right price, I've seen quite a few on the road here (probably grey imports). I'd probably prefer this one over my 500.

8 hours ago, Jdiddy said:

Came in here expecting a new 4 cylinder 18,000rpm 250RR

Leaving very disappointed

Came in thinking of buying a CBR250rr

Left buying a Ninja 400 with full exhaust system, air filter, fuel controller and change left over. 

Doubt it. Don't think there's enough market demand for these at the price that they'll have to ask. The Honda twin is already way overpriced, this thing would cost even more to manufacture. The source is Young Machine which is a Japanese Mag which likes to make up dream bikes ????

On 4/19/2019 at 5:20 PM, eisfeld said:

There is no more import tax for motorcycles from Japan as far as I know.

250k THB for that bike is just bonkers. Who'd be stupid enough to buy that? That's a lot more than the CBR500R and putting another 20% or so on top gets you the 650cc version with three times the power. The low-cc competition from Yamaha and Kawa have more power and are a lot cheaper. I don't get it. Oh and you can't even go to Bigwing for service but have to let the small shop mechanics work on it? Bwahaha. The worst of all worlds.

It seems ( I assume) the farang  daddy would buy it...

On 4/19/2019 at 5:28 PM, ktm jeff said:

Ah !! .  Thank you eisfeld , i didnt know that. Completely agree with you. Would you want to get this bike "serviced" at a mom & pop shop.

Honda requires every dealer to send mechanics to be trained to service it. Just need to be a good dealer. Also not all dealers get one (cbr 250rr), only some.

1 hour ago, Nebula said:

Honda requires every dealer to send mechanics to be trained to service it. Just need to be a good dealer. Also not all dealers get one (cbr 250rr), only some.

That's the issue, there's no way to tell. There are sooo many small Honda dealers around, pretty much on every corner. If I'm on a trip, how do I tell which one of these dealers will be able to service this bike, have spares etc.? How do I know they'll do a good job? Most of the small shops are not exactly doing a stellar job from my experience. They like to skip a lot of steps during service. If you buy a Honda which can be serviced at Bigwing then you know the mechanics there will be decently trained and take a bit more care because they don't handle disposable scooters all day.

One way to tell is when you enter you see a Chinese looking owner and responsive staff. If a mechanic ( since the selling area and service one are separated) promptly comes to you to ask what is it u r coming for. And I d say a big dealer should be more reliable bcoz they need the good name and points from Honda so they would follow what Honda requires, have trained by Honda mechanics ( not all but there s ranking and big dealers must have at least one or two I forgot with higher rank, meaning passed Honda tests and training during the years). But I noticed small dealers can have active owners who stay in the shop and control what s going on and staff won’t be lazy. My experience is limited to bkk only though. Anyway mentioning a complaint to AP Honda can be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 4:56 PM, Nebula said:

Honda requires every dealer to send mechanics to be trained to service it.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

On 4/30/2019 at 9:39 PM, Nebula said:

One way to tell is when you enter you see a Chinese looking owner and responsive staff. If a mechanic ( since the selling area and service one are separated) promptly comes to you to ask what is it u r coming for. And I d say a big dealer should be more reliable bcoz they need the good name and points from Honda so they would follow what Honda requires, have trained by Honda mechanics ( not all but there s ranking and big dealers must have at least one or two I forgot with higher rank, meaning passed Honda tests and training during the years). But I noticed small dealers can have active owners who stay in the shop and control what s going on and staff won’t be lazy. My experience is limited to bkk only though. Anyway mentioning a complaint to AP Honda can be helpful.

:cheesy::cheesy:

Stop it!

I can't take it anymore!

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I might have wet 'em.

:cheesy::cheesy:

Archived