How long does it take to change my tourist visa to Ed visa in the immigration office?

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Afaik changing from a tourist visa to an ED visa in Thailand is not possible, but you can also study on a tourist visa so you will not really be in a hurry.

Actually it is possible to do a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category ED) at immigration for attending school but can depend up the school a person is attending..

Immigration will not do one if attending a informal school such as a language school. 

If attending a formal school such as a university it can be done.

17 minutes ago, Lemonlime said:

Hi, right now I am not in Thailand and I decide to enter with a tourist visa and change it to an ED visa (planned to sign up for a Thai course) after getting there, however how long does it take to change it? 

How long it takes would depend upon the immigration office where you apply. Normal is about 2 weeks for the change of visa status to be approved at the division level of immigration.

What type of school will you be attending. As I mentioned in my previous post it will not be possible if not attending a formal school.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

How long it takes would depend upon the immigration office where you apply. Normal is about 2 weeks for the change of visa status to be approved at the division level of immigration.

What type of school will you be attending. As I mentioned in my previous post it will not be possible if not attending a formal school.

Ah, University’s language program 

2 weeks? So can I stay in Thailand meanwhile they change my visa? 

27 minutes ago, Lemonlime said:

Ah, University’s language program 

2 weeks? So can I stay in Thailand meanwhile they change my visa? 

Yes you can stay in the country. 

You submit the application and they will tell you when to come back to get the visa and 90 day entry stamps done in your passport that you keep while the application is being approved.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes you can stay in the country. 

You submit the application and they will tell you when to come back to get the visa and 90 day entry stamps done in your passport that you keep while the application is being approved.

Are you sure that it doesn’t take more than 2 weeks? Cuz I won’t have anything to do BEFORE the class starts! 

2 minutes ago, Lemonlime said:

Are you sure that it doesn’t take more than 2 weeks? Cuz I won’t have anything to do BEFORE the class starts! 

As wrote before 2 weeks is the normal amount of time but it could be more dependent upon where you apply for it.

You could attend classes while on a tourist visa. You do not have to have a non-ed visa to go to school.

41 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As wrote before 2 weeks is the normal amount of time but it could be more dependent upon where you apply for it.

You could attend classes while on a tourist visa. You do not have to have a non-ed visa to go to school.

Oh mine, I want to attend a Thai language program at Mahasarakham University so i’ll Have to do it in the Mahasarakham immigration office, I want them to do my visa for me, so how long would that take? 

Why would some places take longer?

2 minutes ago, Lemonlime said:

Why would some places take longer?

The processing time varies do the offices being in different regions of the country and being under a different different immigration division. Your application will be sent to Immigration Division 4 headquarters in Khon Kaen for approval.

You should ask the university to contact the immigration office in Mahasarakham about what there requirements are and how long will take.

You may find it quicker and easier to go to Vientiane or Savannakhet to apply for a single entry non-ed visa.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The processing time varies do the offices being in different regions of the country and being under a different different immigration division. Your application will be sent to Immigration Division 4 headquarters in Khon Kaen for approval.

You should ask the university to contact the immigration office in Mahasarakham about what there requirements are and how long will take.

You may find it quicker and easier to go to Vientiane or Savannakhet to apply for a single entry non-ed visa.

The university barely replies on time and they only send super short mails!!They barely answer all my questions! They only type 1 sentence as a reply!!! This is driving me NUTS!!!!!!!!

What to KHONKAEN?! (Wouldn't it be better if KKU has a Thai course instead) I never knew that this is SO complicated until this post, thank u so much for telling me everything.

18 minutes ago, Lemonlime said:

What to KHONKAEN?! (Wouldn't it be better if KKU has a Thai course instead) I never knew that this is SO complicated until this post, thank u so much for telling me everything.

The local office sends the application form and copies of the supporting documents to the division headquarters in Khon Kaen not the immigration office there.

It wouldn't matter where you apply for it. The time for the approval will be the same.

for me as an american .. my ed visa started as a tourist visa . i needed 1.5 months to wait for the paperwork to go through  ... chiang mai and nes language classes ....  then i had to border run and come back in with ed visa .... the school did all of the ed paperwork and i had to do the border run paperwork ... easy peasy ....