Jomtien retirement extension today. New bankbook procedure.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It think if is 3 months from the day you applied for the extension not 90 days.

All the posted dates I have seen are 3 months.

The date I applied for the extension was today, 18 April. The date stamped on the form I received was to visit immigration on 16 July.  89 days.  Go figure.  Yes, commencing from the date of the extension, not the visa due date.

Edited by Lichiyado

10 hours ago, OJAS said:

May not be necessary for you to make any withdrawal if your account is with Bangkok Bank. I once stuck my Bangkok Bank passbook into an updating machine, and this printed out a line confirming the existing balance coded "B/F".

Can't vouch for other banks, though.

Good tip.  I'll give it a try.  I bank with SCB.

2 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

Any idea on flexibility as to when you return to Immigration?  What happens if you are out of Thailand for a few weeks on the due date?

I wish I could quote the post that I read on TV, that someone asked the same question to an immigration officer.  The officer said to report as soon as you return.  For clarification you might want to drop into your immigration office.  My report date falls on Thai holidays which will delay my report by 2 days.  I will likely go to immigration right after the holidays, but as my report date gets closer, just to be cautious, I might drop in and ask which they prefer...before or after the holidays.

Edited by Lichiyado
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Somrak said:

I make my 90 Days over IN.

And Dir show them to show my money who stays for years, I WILL NOT visit them again!

Yes this is also my question, supposing some does not go in 90 days or 3 month's given date (for any reason , travelling or just not doing it ..) , but anyway having followed the rule not go under account as required and allowed , the whole year , proven by the next Ret. extension ….as you are in line with the money requirements …. what would be the consequences ? a fine like for late 90 day reporting , or similar ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, david555 said:
5 hours ago, Somrak said:

I make my 90 Days over IN.

And Dir show them to show my money who stays for years, I WILL NOT visit them again!

Yes this is also my question, supposing some does not go in 90 days or 3 month's given date (for any reason , travelling or just not doing it ..) , but anyway having followed the rule not go under account as required and allowed , the whole year , proven by the next Ret. extension ….as you are in line with the money requirements …. what would be the consequences ? a fine like for late 90 day reporting , or similar ?

Good question.  No idea what the consequences for not reporting would be.  I'm sure reporting in person will be burdensome for some, especially if you are not close to an immigration office and there is no way to report online.  No question about going below the required amount though...you risk losing your visa.

Just now, Lichiyado said:

Good question.  No idea what the consequences for not reporting would be.  I'm sure reporting in person will be burdensome for some, especially if you are not close to an immigration office and there is no way to report online.  No question about going below the required amount though...you risk losing your visa.

That is why I said  , no visits but complied with the money requirements as stated by them , I think they even did not thought this thru..., as a 2000 baht fine would not scare some who must travel far for it  ...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lichiyado said:

I deduce it might be a good idea to make a withdrawal that day, then do the bankbook update, so the last amount and date reflect the current date.  

Would it not show the date of "update" without making a withdrawell if you do it on your way to to the Immigration Office the next time.

I ask this because I remember one time taking out money and immediately updating my book...it did not show the withdrawell...too soon for the transaction to show I presumed?

19 hours ago, Lichiyado said:

Though I did not ask directly, according to the form they gave me, prior seasoning of funds is now two months, rather than three.  I will double check when I do my bankbook visit.

That is indeed a new change we were notified about when the changes came into force. 

3 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Would it not show the date of "update" without making a withdrawell if you do it on your way to to the Immigration Office the next time.

That seems to work for my Bangkok Bank passbooks. I hear not suitable for some others as no transactions, results in no update print line. My withdrawal seems to show up immediately, nevertheless I have adopted the routine of stopping at the sub-branch ATM on the way into town (do not use another bank's ATM), then on to the main branch where I update the book, get the letter and beg a copy of the passbook updated page. Then off to Immigration for the hoop dance. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

Any idea on flexibility as to when you return to Immigration?  What happens if you are out of Thailand for a few weeks on the due date?

As already said, best to check with your office. Even so, you would IMHO be strongly advised to include in your pile of supporting docs for your next extension application evidence of your travel plans (in the form of e.g. confirmed flight bookings) around the due date in any event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, OJAS said:

May not be necessary for you to make any withdrawal if your account is with Bangkok Bank. I once stuck my Bangkok Bank passbook into an updating machine, and this printed out a line confirming the existing balance coded "B/F".

Can't vouch for other banks, though.

Yes, I just shove my Bangkok Bank pass book into the update machine and it will print a new line with the current date and the current balance even if there has been no transaction since the last update.

• Like 1

I have been in Jomtien for 1-year retirement extension a few days ago and I asked when I can visit them to show the money in the bank as I will not be in Thailand on the due date in July. They simply said "LATER, when you come back", without any reference about fines or how many days later is allowed (you know the attitude they have in this office when you ask something....).  
My problem as some people already exposed is that I have a Kasikorn fixed deposit and the bank told me that it is not possible to get it updated every time (see a new printed out line), but I think a letter from the bank stating that the money is still there will be ok. For this reason, I think a normal book bank is better than a Fixed deposit for this issue. 

I can imagine the chaos in Jomtien with this new report as if today they have an average of "maybe" 200 1-year visas a day, later on, they will have to handle 400 people on the same day due to the 200 new money in the bank reports, and you know how small Jomtien office is.
Regards 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lichiyado said:

I didn't ask directly, but everything I've read indicates that you lose your visa.

I haven't read anything from Immigration that says you will lose your extension (I assume you mean extension) as opposed to losing an O-A long stay visa.  If you do mean visa how would they know as I don't think they are checking that? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Lichiyado said:

I wish I could quote the post that I read on TV, that someone asked the same question to an immigration officer.  The officer said to report as soon as you return.  For clarification you might want to drop into your immigration office.  My report date falls on Thai holidays which will delay my report by 2 days.  I will likely go to immigration right after the holidays, but as my report date gets closer, just to be cautious, I might drop in and ask which they prefer...before or after the holidays.

gee....someone who can actually come up with a solution to a complicated (for some) issue.   Go there and ask .  Might help to try remembering who you ask, too. An "officer" would be best,  not a xchool kid helping out..

Not being sarcastic to you.   this is a compliment .   

Edited by rumak
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:
23 hours ago, Lichiyado said:

Though I did not ask directly, according to the form they gave me, prior seasoning of funds is now two months, rather than three.  I will double check when I do my bankbook visit.

That is indeed a new change we were notified about when the changes came into force. 

The reason I mentioned this is, depending on which immigration office you deal with, they might not have received the memo that the seasoning period is now two months rather than three. Jomtien seems up to speed with the new requirements. It's in my nature to double check. Or maybe it's paranoia?  ????

21 minutes ago, mdalco said:

I have been in Jomtien for 1-year retirement extension a few days ago and I asked when I can visit them to show the money in the bank as I will not be in Thailand on the due date in July. They simply said "LATER, when you come back", without any reference about fines or how many days later is allowed (you know the attitude they have in this office when you ask something....).  
My problem as some people already exposed is that I have a Kasikorn fixed deposit and the bank told me that it is not possible to get it updated every time (see a new printed out line), but I think a letter from the bank stating that the money is still there will be ok. For this reason, I think a normal book bank is better than a Fixed deposit for this issue. 

I can imagine the chaos in Jomtien with this new report as if today they have an average of "maybe" 200 1-year visas a day, later on, they will have to handle 400 people on the same day due to the 200 new money in the bank reports, and you know how small Jomtien office is.
Regards 

Ah, I believe you are the fellow I was looking for who posted elsewhere that immigration told you "later". Thanks for the tip. I agree that Jomtien and other offices might get inundated with funds reporting. I was told to come to the desk where I received my extension to report. Will I have to wait in line behind "extension-ers" or will they figure out a way to fast-track funds reporters? No idea.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rumak said:
12 hours ago, Lichiyado said:

gee....someone who can actually come up with a solution to a complicated (for some) issue.   Go there and ask .  Might help to try remembering who you ask, too. An "officer" would be best,  not a xchool kid helping out..

Not being sarcastic to you.   this is a compliment .   

You bring up a good point about talking to an officer rather than a go-fer. And getting their name. More often than not, I mean to look at the officer's name tag, but I forget. Leaving me vulnerable to "plausible deniability". But then again, getting into a "he said/she said" with an immigration officer is not my idea how to spend a lovely afternoon.

39 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:
43 minutes ago, Lichiyado said:

I didn't ask directly, but everything I've read indicates that you lose your visa.

I haven't read anything from Immigration that says you will lose your extension (I assume you mean extension) as opposed to losing an O-A long stay visa.  If you do mean visa how would they know as I don't think they are checking that? 

Allow me to backtrack please. No I haven't read anything formal from Thai Immigration that you will lose your visa (or extension, which would essentially invalidate your visa as I understand it). I've been reading news reports and posts on TV. Perhaps these are hearsay, innuendo, or rumour. You've pointed out that I cannot state with certainty what the consequence would be of dipping below the required funds or how immigration will verify this information. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will now keep my eyes open for formal information.

• Like 1

Apologies in advance for any repetition but I'm very confused!

As I'm approaching my *first * retirement extension renewal I'm getting a little twtichy about snippets I've heard re changes to financial rules /income.

And I want to check that what I think is ok is actually ok

Three questions please

1. I've been working on the principal that my original 800,000 baht has remained 'untouched' for 2 years and that because of that I'm unaffected by any changes. But am I correct in thinking that?

2. Income- provided I continue to leave the 800,000 untouched do I satisfy all requirements re income? Because I've never proved any income before now. Plus I'm too young for a pension and rely on investment income/capital. Do I need to start to prove any of that?

3. Anything else I need to watch out for?

Thanks all

Ps I'm Hua Hin Prachuap Khiri Khan

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, thecolonel said:

Three questions please

1. I've been working on the principal that my original 800,000 baht has remained 'untouched' for 2 years and that because of that I'm unaffected by any changes. But am I correct in thinking that?

2. Income- provided I continue to leave the 800,000 untouched do I satisfy all requirements re income? Because I've never proved any income before now. Plus I'm too young for a pension and rely on investment income/capital. Do I need to start to prove any of that?

I'm not an immigration pro, but nothing you mention triggers a red flag in my awareness.  I see no need to worry, if you have the proper documentation from your bank proving you have had at least 800,000 THB in your account for 2 months.  That said, if anyone reading this is familiar with Hua Hin immigration and their procedures, or familiar with having a static bank account, or other significant assistance, please pipe up.  Of course one option is go to the Hua Hin office and talk to an officer about this.  Another option is to post your concerns in a separate thread as an Original Poster (OP).  I'm afraid your questions will get buried in my post. 

Edited by Lichiyado

46 minutes ago, thecolonel said:

Apologies in advance for any repetition but I'm very confused!

As I'm approaching my *first * retirement extension renewal I'm getting a little twtichy about snippets I've heard re changes to financial rules /income.

And I want to check that what I think is ok is actually ok

Three questions please

Thanks all

Ps I'm Hua Hin Prachuap Khiri Khan

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

I think it will go to 1 million in May based on information from Immigration officers discussing what they think will happen - not action or new law just supposition by Thai Immigration officers. 

• Sad 1