Jomtien retirement extension today. New bankbook procedure.

12 hours ago, Lichiyado said:

Good question.  No idea what the consequences for not reporting would be.  I'm sure reporting in person will be burdensome for some, especially if you are not close to an immigration office and there is no way to report online.  No question about going below the required amount though...you risk losing your visa.

Can anyone tell me if the 3 month bank book report is a one off or repeated throughout the year ?

Also if I choose not to renew my ret ext next year what is to stop me withdrawing my money early ?

1 minute ago, Kevbo said:

Can anyone tell me if the 3 month bank book report is a one off or repeated throughout the year ?

Also if I choose not to renew my ret ext next year what is to stop me withdrawing my money early ?

As far as I know Jomtien is the only office requiring a check in which says to me it is not a serious change for all of Thailand.  But perhaps others with experience at other offices will comment.  I don't think anyone has done a 3 month check in yet so no word if it has to stay in past that date or in what areas it is being enforced.  

1 minute ago, Mansell said:

Friend did his 90 day online this week and there was no mention of showing any kind of bank book and the seasoning of the 800,000 baht. This was in Korat.

Yes but he would be well advised to follow the post seasoning rules, report or not. That's because if he doesn't under the new rules he would be technically subject to extension cancellation. This is so new also that you don't know that they won't demand a report later in the year either if/when they get their act together with the new onerous regime.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 12:14 PM, ubonjoe said:

It think if is 3 months from the day you applied for the extension not 90 days.

All the posted dates I have seen are 3 months.

What if your not in the country on the date specified to go back to immigration, say example you want to go back to your home country for one month ??

6 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

What if your not in the country on the date specified to go back to immigration, say example you want to go back to your home country for one month ??

At least one office have told a person that asked about it was told to go to the office after your return for it to be checked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thesa said:

What happens when an agent is used?

They will just charge you another fee if they received the same paper too report back in 90 Days/3 months.

Or if you always use an Agent every year I don’t think it will be a problem,.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

As far as I know Jomtien is the only office requiring a check in which says to me it is not a serious change for all of Thailand.  But perhaps others with experience at other offices will comment.  I don't think anyone has done a 3 month check in yet so no word if it has to stay in past that date or in what areas it is being enforced.  

Sorry forgot to mention Jomtien is my imm office

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:
8 hours ago, Mansell said:

Friend did his 90 day online this week and there was no mention of showing any kind of bank book and the seasoning of the 800,000 baht. This was in Korat.

Yes but he would be well advised to follow the post seasoning rules, report or not. That's because if he doesn't under the new rules he would be technically subject to extension cancellation. This is so new also that you don't know that they won't demand a report later in the year either if/when they get their act together with the new onerous regime.

Just to clarify, please keep in mind that the 90 day report (TM47) has nothing to do with the post seasoning funds reporting requirements. I received information about my funds reporting requirements when I filed an extension of my retirement visa, not when visiting the 90 day report table. I agree with Jingthing...report your funds, via your bookbank or bank documentation, whether or not you are asked to.  At this point it is unclear to me whether to report 90 days or three months after you file for your extension. If immigration doesn't give you a specific date to report, 90 days seems to be a safe bet IMHO.  Maybe there's a few days wiggle room here, not sure, but better safe than screwed.

No, that is not what I said at all.

If you're ordered to make a bank book report after you get your extension, by all means report.

If not ordered, then don't. 

But still comply with the post seasoning rules.

They are 800K baht three months after and 400K baht for the rest of the year before the next pre seasoning period.

If you don't you put your status into a risk state even if not ordered to report. Also it might mean rejection for your next extension.

These new onerous seasoning rules are serious. I hate them but I wouldn't consider trying to flout them, report orders or not. 

Now I realize some people are going to violate the post seasoning rules for very good reasons, emergency expenses, etc.

I think it's awful that there doesn't appear that there will any flexibility in such cases.

It's no mystery why many more people than usual are looking at alternatives to Thailand. 

• Like 1

I asked at Jomtien Immigration what happens if you fall below 800.000 until you report after 3 months. Answer - you will lose your visa. I also asked how many days you can come after this 3 months date. Didn't get a clear answer. A friend who leaves the country and can't report on this date was told he should report when he comes back. But what was made clear was that you cannot come before this date because the 800.000 need to be on your account until this date. I also was told that no bank letter is needed. Just an updated bank book showing the 800.000 balance on this date. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Kevbo said:

As it is early days yet nobody can confirm if you will have to return after the 6 month point and demonstrate the 400k is still available as required. It may only be a check when you make your next extension application. 

The fear that your current extension may be cancelled should be enough to deter you from spending, unless you see no likelihood of needing to attend immigration during the rest of the year. 

20 hours ago, Lichiyado said:

I didn't ask directly, but everything I've read indicates that you lose your visa.

Thanks but does that mean you don't get the visa renewed at the next extension date or you immediately lose your current visa, and have to leave the country.

32 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Thanks but does that mean you don't get the visa renewed at the next extension date or you immediately lose your current visa, and have to leave the country.

If you removed the 800k baht during the 3 months they could cancel your extension and give you 7 days to leave the country.

Not sure they will be checking the 400k baht but some offices have already said they will not be doing any checks until you apply for your next extension. They would likely refuser you application which would mean you would have to leave before it ends in that case.

I think the 800k baht for 3 months will be handled differently than the 400k baht until you top up your account for the next extension. The 800k baht part was put in to insure you did take the money out as soon as you got the extension.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No, that is not what I said at all.

If you're ordered to make a bank book report after you get your extension, by all means report.

If not ordered, then don't. 

But still comply with the post seasoning rules.

They are 800K baht three months after and 400K baht for the rest of the year before the next pre seasoning period.

If you don't you put your status into a risk state even if not ordered to report. Also it might mean rejection for your next extension.

These new onerous seasoning rules are serious. I hate them but I wouldn't consider trying to flout them, report orders or not. 

Now I realize some people are going to violate the post seasoning rules for very good reasons, emergency expenses, etc.

I think it's awful that there doesn't appear that there will any flexibility in such cases.

It's no mystery why many more people than usual are looking at alternatives to Thailand. 

OK, I misunderstood you.  I'm still of the opinion that the onus of responsibility lies with the visa holder to check, double check, triple check with his or her immigration branch to see what their post seasoning funds reporting process/rules are.  Perhaps as more people file for their visa extension and report back to TV there can be greater clarity about the reporting requirements of each office. Jomtien has made itself clear.  Report.  No one I am aware of has clarified what will happen if you fail to report.  I feel it's dangerous to assume that, just because you haven't been formally instructed how or if to report, that you shouldn't bother.  Regarding the 800,000 requirement, I agree.  Don't dip below.  I also agree, the new rules are onerous.

No reason to report if not ordered. There is a reason to comply with the post seasoning rules whether there is a need to report or not.

The national rule is about the seasoning rules. It says nothing about enforcement specifics. Orders to report or not are local enforcement matters. Really it would be crazy and not even welcome to attempt a bank book report if not ordered.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 4/19/2019 at 11:16 AM, Lichiyado said:

I didn't ask directly, but everything I've read indicates that you lose your visa.

More even , it could be you would considered on overstay from the date of going under account , so many not clear situation , as also suppose you wish to change from the 800K on bank , to the monthly system ,when doing ? As technically you would be a period on double money blocking or risking to go under your 800 K, and the only complete legal way is to end your ret.ext. by flying out Thailand not using a re entry , as normally you can not stop ret. ext. as must use a visa or ext,.until it is used to the end , and come in on visa exempt example to take in full freedom & not breaking the ret.ext.  your money out of bank , seems they have no grace period the 2 month's before new application ret.ext building for such cases .

So many not thought thru questions (as always) possible !

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Beggar said:

I asked at Jomtien Immigration what happens if you fall below 800.000 until you report after 3 months. Answer - you will lose your visa. I also asked how many days you can come after this 3 months date. Didn't get a clear answer. A friend who leaves the country and can't report on this date was told he should report when he comes back. But what was made clear was that you cannot come before this date because the 800.000 need to be on your account until this date. I also was told that no bank letter is needed. Just an updated bank book showing the 800.000 balance on this date. 

Thank you for this information. It concurs with my experience at Jomtien, and expands on it a bit. It would make sense that if your reporting is delayed due to travel or whatever, if you can still show 800,000 in your account when you are able to report, you're good.  The consensus seems to be they are (currently) flexible about the 90 day/three month funds reporting date, at least at the Jomtien office. Don't come early, but a little bit late seems to be OK. I agree with another poster who suggested bringing some sort of proof of the reason for your delay, such as an air ticket. I hope others pipe up about other immigration offices.

8 minutes ago, Lichiyado said:

Thank you for this information. It concurs with my experience at Jomtien, and expands on it a bit. It would make sense that if your reporting is delayed due to travel or whatever, if you can still show 800,000 in your account when you are able to report, you're good.  The consensus seems to be they are (currently) flexible about the 90 day/three month funds reporting date, at least at the Jomtien office. Don't come early, but a little bit late seems to be OK. I agree with another poster who suggested bringing some sort of proof of the reason for your delay, such as an air ticket. I hope others pipe up about other immigration offices.

Your passport shows your travelling by their own immigration stamps out & in ,if international travelling ! inside Thailand travel  is more complicated .

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No reason to report if not ordered. There is a reason to comply with the post seasoning rules whether there is a need to report or not.

The national rule is about the seasoning rules. It says nothing about enforcement specifics. Orders to report or not are local enforcement matters. Really it would be crazy and not even welcome to attempt a bank book report if not ordered.

I see your point. Jomtien has made it's requirements clear. The other immigration offices, not so much that I am aware of. For extension filers at other offices, please ask the immigration officer, "Do I need to report after 90 days/3 months?" Please report back what you discover.

Just now, Lichiyado said:

I see your point. Jomtien has made it's requirements clear. The other immigration offices, not so much that I am aware of. For extension filers at other offices, please ask the immigration officer, "Do I need to report after 90 days/3 months?" Please report back what you discover.

I disagree even with that.

If not ordered, I would suggest -- DO NOT EVEN ASK.

The rule is about the seasoning.

You have not violated any rule if there is no order to report and you don't report.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

I disagree even with that.

If not ordered, I would suggest -- DO NOT EVEN ASK.

The rule is about the seasoning.

You have not violated any rule if there is no order to report and you don't report.

But as T.I.T. I could the rules are there in each office ,only forgotten or just not mentioning ...

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

Your passport shows your travelling by their own immigration stamps out & in ,if international travelling ! inside country is more complicated 

Yes, in-country proof for the reason of delay could be more complicated, if not impossible. But at this point, proof of the reason for delay is just a suggestion to grease the wheel. It is not formal immigration policy that I am aware of. Kind of wait-and-see at this point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

But as T.I.T. I could the rules are there in each office ,only forgotten or just not mentioning ...

I get your point but in this case, in my opinion, you would be covered if not reporting if not ordered.

The worst that could happen, and super unlikely, is the police visit you and say, hey bad guy farang, you didn't report, and then you can show your bank book.

My point is -- it's about the BANK BOOK, not the reporting.

The reporting isn't about the reporting per se -- it is about the BANK BOOK being in compliance.

So if not ordered to report and your bank book is in compliance, I think you have nothing to worry about.

There is more than enough REAL SERIOUS stuff to worry about with these recent onerous visa rule changes. Worrying about reporting if not ordered to do so is in my view, a real nothing burger.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I get your point but in this case, in my opinion, you would be covered if not reporting if not ordered.

The worst that could happen, and super unlikely, is the police visit you and say, he farang, you didn't report, and then you can show your bank book.

My point is -- it's about the BANK BOOK, not the reporting.

The reporting isn't about the reporting per se -- it is about the BANK BOOK.

So if not ordered to report and your bank book is in order, I think you have nothing to worry about.

Yes we are in many cases a "sitting Duck" to shoot ! (any unexpected visit from I.O or at Immigration for any simple reason . ) 

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

Yes we are in many cases a "sitting Duck" to shoot ! (any unexpected visit from I.O or at Immigration for any simple reason . ) 

This is why I generally err on the side of caution regarding immigration matters. Whether or not an I.O. looks at me as if I'm crazy when I ask about the funds reporting policy, I'll still ask the question. Information is power...to me.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lichiyado said:

This is why I generally err on the side of caution regarding immigration matters. Whether or not an I.O. looks at me as if I'm crazy when I ask about the funds reporting policy, I'll still ask the question. Information is power...to me.

As it is for me , the rules are clear , only they did not think of side matters , eg. if you wish to change to another money system , or even at another visa system (O-A home country application example ) , how to take your money out bank complete legal , so not risking to be on OVERSTAY :whistling: