BANGKOK 21 May 2019 22:34
GrumblesMcGee

Opportunities for Educated, Fluent, Non-NES

Hello all. I'm curious what opportunities you might think are out there in the Bangkok area for someone with an unusual background, and what advice you might give for professional development.

They are European, non-NES, fluent in English (slight accent, did post-graduate study in the U.S.). For about a decade, they've been teaching English at language academies in their native country. On occasion they've flipped it, teaching their native language to NES. They also have years of experience translating contracts, academic (journal) articles, books, etc., into English.

On one hand, they're extremely impressive. They'd ace any interview, impress any client, can point to years of experience teaching young adults and adult learners, etc. On the other, they're not a NES, and they have no traditional classroom teaching experience (and no certification).

My take so far (as a quasi-outsider, someone who's spent some time in Thailand and will be moving there to teach at an international school this year) has been that they might be a good fit for part-time "corporate English" companies or private tutoring. While they would be good classroom teachers, the NES/experience/certification deficiencies mean they won't be competitive for top full-time jobs. They also have the option to keep doing freelance translation and Skype lessons remotely (digital nomad), so accepting a grueling ~30,000 THB position doesn't make a lot of sense.

What are your thoughts on opportunities, particularly outside-the-box (i.e. not full-time classroom teaching) ones? And what can they do to better market themselves? A TEFL (or CELTA) might look nice on the CV and alleviate some concerns about both the NES and certification "flags," but is it worth it?

[note: Not asking for "illegal" teaching options. If they are going to work in Thailand (vs. do digital nomad stuff), they will be doing so legally.]

they are over qualified to work in Thailand

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

they are over qualified to work in Thailand

😂

Yikes...and I'm more qualified than they are! Maybe I made a big mistake. 😉

On 4/18/2019 at 12:02 PM, GrumblesMcGee said:

non-NES,

What's a "non-NES"?

27 minutes ago, GrumblesMcGee said:

NES = native English speaker

non-NES = well...

If they are white they can just claim to be NES.  Who says who is and who isn't a native English speaker?  If a person is fluent in English how do you know if they started learning it as a baby or learn't it later in life?

probably know more about the English language than most of us native speakers first person what participle

• Like 1

You could help your friends by pointing them to ajarn.com

They'll find a lot of information and potential opportunities on this site.

4 hours ago, seancbk said:

If they are white they can just claim to be NES.  Who says who is and who isn't a native English speaker?  If a person is fluent in English how do you know if they started learning it as a baby or learn't it later in life?

By the accent ... silly boy.

• Like 1

In many advertisements, schools/companies that wish to hire NES teachers will specify that the applicants must be citizens of such countries as the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There seem to be countless full time teaching positions offered by various agencies who also hire NNES teachers, especially when they've got some teaching experience. But also many schools will hire European NNES teachers if they fit in. 

Please tell your friends to check on www.ajarn.com, and there are currently various positions at primary and secondary schools all over the country available. The new academic year starts in the middle of May.  

More and more agencies hire Europeans because they can't find enough NES teachers. Tell them to create a good looking CV, do some legwork and they'll find a job starting in May. 

*Direct link removed*

Edited by Scott

10 hours ago, seancbk said:

How can you give such a statement that people can claim to be NES if they aren't? How could anybody from let's take Kasachstan as an example, with a Russian passport claim to be an NES?

Native English speakers are individuals who were born in the States, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, or in Canada. Depending on the institution, sometimes are South Africans accepted as well.

My apologies, but your last question is, unfortunately, way off.

• Like 1

One post edited to remove a direct link.   Don't link to other sites.  

Many times non-NES are hired, but for the purposes of meeting the criteria for work permit and a teacher's license, they must take a TOEIC (or other English proficiency exam).  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pravda said:

If they are so great then why you need to post for them?

😕 Because...I'm not?

I was just asking for input for my edification, not posting on their behalf or at their request. I'm already heading to LOS, with a sweet two-year contract signed, and thought "what sort of opportunities would they have if they came?" Given their unusual background and my sense that they wouldn't want to take a full-time 8-4 teaching job, I felt that asking for some perspective might be useful. 

Also, yes, they are great. That's the real "pravda." 💯