BANGKOK 22 May 2019 06:36
cheeryble

Types of berth on BKK night train

I used to use the train and have heard the 18.00 is a new train. true?

Anyway I prefer second class lower berth as I’m v tall and missus above.

I just went to online booking

https://www.thairailwayticket.com/eTSRT/default.aspx?language=1

For a date I entered as a test, the 20th, at 18.00 They seem to offer for second class ANSCN ........places available........ whilst ASNHC is full.

Anyone know the difference?

IMG_7056.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Great and useful answers ubonjoe and Norfolk

Electrified despite having flown planes myself I suffer from agoraphobia and panic attacks. This trip I’m intending to come back by plane, exposure therapy. Not much fun spending time and money to feel horrible, but with luck I’ll do more challenging trips and become "normal" whatever that is.

I also find it very difficult just getting around in BKK.As i hope to arrive early and return in the evening ....with a job to do in the day.....I wonder if you guys would have an idea of somewhere to hang out, feel safe, maybe swim and gym or whatever, to pass the time as pleasantly as possible. Would prefer to avoid a hotel, but if I must could I stay in one just paying for the one day? After all I won’t be overnighting there

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've made several day trips in Bangkok in the past few months planning, designing, ordering and changing the order for items from IKEA Bangna.  The IKEA is open 10 am to 10 pm so I don't have to leave CM at the crack of dawn.  It an easy taxi ride from Swampy to the MEGA Bagna Mall where the IKEA is located, they have a nice cafeteria in the IKEA and I've spend several pleasant days getting to know their product line and returning to purchase after designing a condo remodel with our architect.  Soon, they'll deliver to Chiang Mai and install with their people and our contractor eager to observe and learn their process.

One big thing that makes the day pleasant is that I fly Bangkok Air, not in an Air Asia cattle car, so I can enjoy their passenger lounge ahead of flights and Swampy is a nicer airport than Don Muang.

I've not spend any time outside the IKEA at the MEGA mall, but it looks very impressive, with all known retails stores in Thailand in a huge location.  One could easily spend a weekend there seeing movies, shopping and dining.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NancyL said:

I've made several day trips in Bangkok in the past few months planning, designing, ordering and changing the order for items from IKEA Bangna.  The IKEA is open 10 am to 10 pm so I don't have to leave CM at the crack of dawn.  It an easy taxi ride from Swampy to the MEGA Bagna Mall where the IKEA is located, they have a nice cafeteria in the IKEA and I've spend several pleasant days getting to know their product line and returning to purchase after designing a condo remodel with our architect.  Soon, they'll deliver to Chiang Mai and install with their people and our contractor eager to observe and learn their process.

One big thing that makes the day pleasant is that I fly Bangkok Air, not in an Air Asia cattle car, so I can enjoy their passenger lounge ahead of flights and Swampy is a nicer airport than Don Muang.

I've not spend any time outside the IKEA at the MEGA mall, but it looks very impressive, with all known retails stores in Thailand in a huge location.  One could easily spend a weekend there seeing movies, shopping and dining.  

Hi Nancy

kind of you to answer and an original thought about IKEA. Meatballs to ease the anxiety!!

In fact there are two calls I'd like to make on my first trip......Bangkok e-bikes to check about a conversion for my XXL mountain bike and Ottobock who make orthoses (like a modern day carbon fibre foot/leg brace in my case). Both of these due to right leg weakness due to early Parky's combined with spinal nerve damage which is relevant to a BKK trip in that walking far is not so comfortable, can't lift right heel so I limp/

Anyway.........just been looking at maps and am most fortunate in that if I come back from Don Muang first time the four essential places are more or less in a line. Take a look

In fact Ottobock opens 8am so if i can arrange the clinician appointment right I could go straight from HuaLamphong, than on to e-bikes mid morning not far.

Then I'm kinda lost for a for a while.

I will be tired as I normally wake latish and train wakes early, ideally would like to lie down a while.

Bingo......what about a massage.

Would love to swim and gym help relax my mind before early evening return flight and had thought of staying at the Amari hotel outside don muang but it's not cheap for such little use. Wonder if we can pay to use the pool/gym. Shame no BKK Airways from DM.

Well I'm kinda bouncing my thoughts around here sorry bout that but if anyone ha any more great ideas do say.

My vague idea is to do a second trip from SUV next.....maybe including IKEA as I've just built a house.

Thanks to all, don't be shy 🙂

1299080625_Screenshot2019-04-1913_20_46.jpg.fd3996d6c87920b08258c1cee27f059d.jpg

Edited by cheeryble

As was mentioned seat61 is the go to info source on trains world wide.

4 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Couldn't agree less; if you have the leisure and the temperament, Thai trains are a great experience, a blast from the past where train travel may have been less efficient but was much more fulfilling. Who wants to schlap up to or from DMK through hoards of Chinese, when they could have an evening meal, a good sleep and wake refreshed in the outskirts of Bangkok or in the hills approaching Chiang Mai? 

It is also much more ecological and selfless to take the train given astronomical airplane carbon emmissions.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

It is also much more ecological and selfless to take the train given astronomical airplane carbon emmissions.

Ill give up flying when the elites do.

In the interim, there are times when a train makes sense. I dont think to Chiang Mai