Types of berth on BKK night train

cheeryble

I used to use the train and have heard the 18.00 is a new train. true?

Anyway I prefer second class lower berth as I’m v tall and missus above.

I just went to online booking

https://www.thairailwayticket.com/eTSRT/default.aspx?language=1

For a date I entered as a test, the 20th, at 18.00 They seem to offer for second class ANSCN ........places available........ whilst ASNHC is full.

Anyone know the difference?

IMG_7056.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Great and useful answers ubonjoe and Norfolk

Electrified despite having flown planes myself I suffer from agoraphobia and panic attacks. This trip I’m intending to come back by plane, exposure therapy. Not much fun spending time and money to feel horrible, but with luck I’ll do more challenging trips and become "normal" whatever that is.

I also find it very difficult just getting around in BKK.As i hope to arrive early and return in the evening ....with a job to do in the day.....I wonder if you guys would have an idea of somewhere to hang out, feel safe, maybe swim and gym or whatever, to pass the time as pleasantly as possible. Would prefer to avoid a hotel, but if I must could I stay in one just paying for the one day? After all I won’t be overnighting there

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I've made several day trips in Bangkok in the past few months planning, designing, ordering and changing the order for items from IKEA Bangna.  The IKEA is open 10 am to 10 pm so I don't have to leave CM at the crack of dawn.  It an easy taxi ride from Swampy to the MEGA Bagna Mall where the IKEA is located, they have a nice cafeteria in the IKEA and I've spend several pleasant days getting to know their product line and returning to purchase after designing a condo remodel with our architect.  Soon, they'll deliver to Chiang Mai and install with their people and our contractor eager to observe and learn their process.

One big thing that makes the day pleasant is that I fly Bangkok Air, not in an Air Asia cattle car, so I can enjoy their passenger lounge ahead of flights and Swampy is a nicer airport than Don Muang.

I've not spend any time outside the IKEA at the MEGA mall, but it looks very impressive, with all known retails stores in Thailand in a huge location.  One could easily spend a weekend there seeing movies, shopping and dining.  

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

I've made several day trips in Bangkok in the past few months planning, designing, ordering and changing the order for items from IKEA Bangna.  The IKEA is open 10 am to 10 pm so I don't have to leave CM at the crack of dawn.  It an easy taxi ride from Swampy to the MEGA Bagna Mall where the IKEA is located, they have a nice cafeteria in the IKEA and I've spend several pleasant days getting to know their product line and returning to purchase after designing a condo remodel with our architect.  Soon, they'll deliver to Chiang Mai and install with their people and our contractor eager to observe and learn their process.

One big thing that makes the day pleasant is that I fly Bangkok Air, not in an Air Asia cattle car, so I can enjoy their passenger lounge ahead of flights and Swampy is a nicer airport than Don Muang.

I've not spend any time outside the IKEA at the MEGA mall, but it looks very impressive, with all known retails stores in Thailand in a huge location.  One could easily spend a weekend there seeing movies, shopping and dining.  

Hi Nancy

kind of you to answer and an original thought about IKEA. Meatballs to ease the anxiety!!

In fact there are two calls I'd like to make on my first trip......Bangkok e-bikes to check about a conversion for my XXL mountain bike and Ottobock who make orthoses (like a modern day carbon fibre foot/leg brace in my case). Both of these due to right leg weakness due to early Parky's combined with spinal nerve damage which is relevant to a BKK trip in that walking far is not so comfortable, can't lift right heel so I limp/

Anyway.........just been looking at maps and am most fortunate in that if I come back from Don Muang first time the four essential places are more or less in a line. Take a look

In fact Ottobock opens 8am so if i can arrange the clinician appointment right I could go straight from HuaLamphong, than on to e-bikes mid morning not far.

Then I'm kinda lost for a for a while.

I will be tired as I normally wake latish and train wakes early, ideally would like to lie down a while.

Bingo......what about a massage.

Would love to swim and gym help relax my mind before early evening return flight and had thought of staying at the Amari hotel outside don muang but it's not cheap for such little use. Wonder if we can pay to use the pool/gym. Shame no BKK Airways from DM.

Well I'm kinda bouncing my thoughts around here sorry bout that but if anyone ha any more great ideas do say.

My vague idea is to do a second trip from SUV next.....maybe including IKEA as I've just built a house.

Thanks to all, don't be shy ????

1299080625_Screenshot2019-04-1913_20_46.jpg.fd3996d6c87920b08258c1cee27f059d.jpg

17 hours ago, elektrified said:

OMG skip the train and hop on a plane. Why in today's world would anyone take a train or bus when you can fly for 650 Baht and be there in an hour is beyond me.

Couldn't agree less; if you have the leisure and the temperament, Thai trains are a great experience, a blast from the past where train travel may have been less efficient but was much more fulfilling. Who wants to schlap up to or from DMK through hoards of Chinese, when they could have an evening meal, a good sleep and wake refreshed in the outskirts of Bangkok or in the hills approaching Chiang Mai? 

1 minute ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Couldn't agree less; if you have the leisure and the temperament, Thai trains are a great experience, a blast from the past where train travel may have been less efficient but was much more fulfilling. Who wants to schlap up to or from DMK through hoards of Chinese, when they could have an evening meal, a good sleep and wake refreshed in the outskirts of Bangkok or in the hills approaching Chiang Mai? 

Agreed. It's a very relaxed journey compared to the stress of flying and airports.

18 hours ago, elektrified said:

OMG skip the train and hop on a plane. Why in today's world would anyone take a train or bus when you can fly for 650 Baht and be there in an hour is beyond me.

Nothing pleasant about flying nowadays plus all the airport hassle.

Trains are so much more relaxing 

18 hours ago, elektrified said:

maybe because to some folks trains are slower enjoyable scenic relaxing rhythmic soothing. For some people its not about the destination its the journey that brings joy.

4 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

It is also much more ecological and selfless to take the train given astronomical airplane carbon emmissions.

5 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

It is also much more ecological and selfless to take the train given astronomical airplane carbon emmissions.

Ill give up flying when the elites do.

In the interim, there are times when a train makes sense. I dont think to Chiang Mai

4 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

No beer now though!

23 hours ago, elektrified said:

Nothing like sex on the train. Especially when the couples in next compartments have the same idea.

23 hours ago, elektrified said:

I met my 11th and 16th GF on trains. None on planes

7 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

LOL! No thanks. I'll fly. Never a bus or mini-van ever again (last time about 8 years ago), and the train only if I had no other choice - which I hope never happens. Uncomfortable, filthy toilets, no shower....no thanks. When I go to Bangkok, I want to get there in an hour and get on with what I have to do.

On 4/18/2019 at 5:51 PM, elektrified said:

Because some people enjoy/prefer the train journey 

On 4/18/2019 at 5:51 PM, elektrified said:

Train?

Because there are no security, organisational or bureaucratic chokepoints before you get on the train.

Because the train will be open for unrestricted, no queue boarding for over an hour before it departs.

Because you can take loads of luggage with no extra charges over the seat price.

Because you get a comfortable seat, about twice the width of an airline seat with lots of legroom, opposite your partner and no one sitting next to you (room for your partner to sit there if they like).

Because the seat has a panoramic window next to it.

Because you can move about the train easily without clambering over other passengers or have them clambering over you.

Because you can eat your meal sitting at a proper table in the buffet car.

Because you do not feel like a sardine in the sky.

Because when you say you got the night train from CM to BK people "back home" get a dreamy look in their eyes.

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

Not really a problem if you go first class. Also a lot quieter so you get a good nights sleep.

Much better way to travel than flying.

So are you saying that beer is available in 1st Class?

8 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

This country is crying out for some high speed rail links - cargo and passenger. Bangkok to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai would be the first for me.

BKK to Pattaya will happen way before that.

If you are alive in 20 years, maybe to CM..

On 4/20/2019 at 3:05 AM, Enoon said:

Because you can move about the train easily without clambering over other passengers or have them clambering over you.

But, this is so depersonalizing.

~o:37;

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:51 AM, elektrified said:

LOL

I always took the train when I could in preference to the plane.

Plane- cheap company with multiple add ons and cramped seating.

Full service- restricted luggage weight allowance.

Crap airports with inconvenient security precautions.

Chance of crashing and death.

Don't see anything of the countryside unless window seat and no clouds.

Zero Thai culture.

Causes pollution in the atmosphere and going to kill everyone with global warming.

Train- save hotel cost for one night

Second class sleeper- comfy bed for the night.

First class sleeper- can take GF/ wife and have compartment to self.

Can take food and drinks on if don't want to use restaurant service.

No weight/size restrictions on luggage.

Good view of scenery.

Loads of culture- can talk to people on train, or just observe.

Good size toilets.

No irksome security arrangements.

Romance of travel.

OP

New Chinese trains have thinner mattress in second class sleeper than old Thai trains. Not as easy to take large bags on- bags go under seat.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:07 AM, elektrified said:

LOL! No thanks. I'll fly. Never a bus or mini-van ever again (last time about 8 years ago), and the train only if I had no other choice - which I hope never happens. Uncomfortable, filthy toilets, no shower....no thanks. When I go to Bangkok, I want to get there in an hour and get on with what I have to do.

You sound like a flashpacker. Stay in a concrete hotel destroying the very thing people wanted to see because it's comfortable. Never see anything of the real Thailand. I don't know why flashpackers even bother coming to Thailand, given they don't actually see anything of it from the horizon pool.

The way to see the real Thailand is to travel with the locals, live with the locals, even if it isn't as hygenic as one might be accustomed to.

If one doesn't want to see the real Thailand, why are they even there?

Archived