Types of berth on BKK night train

cheeryble

On 4/19/2019 at 8:46 PM, norfolkandchance said:

All the OP wanted to know was about trains. Not Ikea. Have a good weekend. Duh.

"... I wonder if you guys would have an idea of somewhere to hang out, feel safe, maybe swim and gym or whatever, to pass the time as pleasantly as possible. Would prefer to avoid a hotel, but if I must could I stay in one just paying for the one day? After all I won’t be overnighting there."

In every country the sleeper berth on a train is more expensive than flying.
It's a nice experience.

On seat 61 there is actually a route that takes you from Bangkok to Moscow. The winter pics are stunning. Can jump on and off for short stop overs.

On the bucket list

• 5 weeks later...

I hope you guys can remember I have panic attacks about travelling in the city on public transport and flying.

I was asking about coming to BKK on the night train and trying........no DOING a flight back from DMK evening of arrival with a couple of little jobs to do in the day pretty much in a line from Hualamphong to DMK.

Things have progressed and it now may be possible to go in the next few days.

I had asked how to fill the time enjoyably but you have to put yourself in the mind of an agoraphobic. All suggestions welcome to make it easier avoiding being out or walking among big buildings with big views

I don't want to take the skytrain yet....thats for another trip. I must get there when I can though.

So it may be mostly taxis.

the first trip is from Hualamphng to Ottobock.....see map.....for fitting an orthosis (Oh walking not so comfortable, PArky's.) Google Maps says 17 minutes drive for this trip.

Can I presume they're allowing for horrible BKK traffic?

Also would Monday early mornigin be extra busy in this area?

Underground train is a bit better maybe I could do this from HuaL to Ottobock?

I'd like to be economical but i find I can rent a day room 0800 to 1900 in the Amari Don Muang for 1200 and this may be worthwhile to have a base and a shower and a good swim to relax me for the flight attempt.

But if anyone has better suggestions for a base or a swim and gym where i can get to DMK for perhaps a 20.00 flight please say.

I really want to be able to fly and travel normally and visit family and friends abroad eventuallly before my m9bility decreases which is slowly likely to happen.

Thanks!

ps: I'd rather not travel Boeing 737Max anyone know which airlines are Max-free from DMK?

IMG_7263.JPG

Couple of things.

For a mid evening flight say to CM, how long before to turn up at the desk.

Is Domestic Terminal 2.......I've been told it's only 7 minutes walk from Amari.

Is it possible to insert time of day in Google Maps to obtain an estimated journey time for that time allowing for traffic?

The Amari, though old is unbeatable for convenience. They have a covered pedestrian overpass from the airport direct into the hotel. No need for a taxi if you can manage the 400m or so walk.

To minimise stress at check in, I would recommend checking in online if you can and then getting to the airport at least 1.5 hours before your flight. After checkin you could always go back to the hotel until 45 mins or so before flight time.

No airlines worldwide are flying the 737-Max at the moment. It will probably be an Airbus A320.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 4/19/2019 at 12:49 PM, NancyL said:

I've made several day trips in Bangkok in the past few months planning, designing, ordering and changing the order for items from IKEA Bangna.  The IKEA is open 10 am to 10 pm so I don't have to leave CM at the crack of dawn.  It an easy taxi ride from Swampy to the MEGA Bagna Mall where the IKEA is located, they have a nice cafeteria in the IKEA and I've spend several pleasant days getting to know their product line and returning to purchase after designing a condo remodel with our architect.  Soon, they'll deliver to Chiang Mai and install with their people and our contractor eager to observe and learn their process.

One big thing that makes the day pleasant is that I fly Bangkok Air, not in an Air Asia cattle car, so I can enjoy their passenger lounge ahead of flights and Swampy is a nicer airport than Don Muang.

I've not spend any time outside the IKEA at the MEGA mall, but it looks very impressive, with all known retails stores in Thailand in a huge location.  One could easily spend a weekend there seeing movies, shopping and dining.  

Just so you know Ikea is online now so no need to go there

24 minutes ago, madmen said:

Just so you know Ikea is online now so no need to go there

Yes, I've explored the website.  Very handy for ordering all the bits and dabs to complete the closet system and kitchen now that they're installed and I have an idea of how I want everything organized. The Ikea installers did a great job -- very hardworking people who knew their product line very well.  I wish I could say the same about some of the local subcontractors, especially the aircon people and the carpenters who seem to taking forever to do a couple of custom cabinets. In retrospect I should have figured out how to use Ikea cabinets instead of designing a couple of custom cabinets. 

On 4/20/2019 at 3:09 AM, Enoon said:

I looked into the E & O trip from Bangkok to Singapore but when I learned the prices were for one way only I decided to postpone it until my next life.

Good read about the  history of the train at  Seat 61:

https://www.seat61.com/OrientExpress.htm

On 5/24/2019 at 1:51 PM, cheeryble said:

I hope you guys can remember I have panic attacks about travelling in the city on public transport and flying.

I was asking about coming to BKK on the night train and trying........no DOING a flight back from DMK evening of arrival with a couple of little jobs to do in the day pretty much in a line from Hualamphong to DMK.

Things have progressed and it now may be possible to go in the next few days.

I had asked how to fill the time enjoyably but you have to put yourself in the mind of an agoraphobic. All suggestions welcome to make it easier avoiding being out or walking among big buildings with big views

I don't want to take the skytrain yet....thats for another trip. I must get there when I can though.

So it may be mostly taxis.

the first trip is from Hualamphng to Ottobock.....see map.....for fitting an orthosis (Oh walking not so comfortable, PArky's.) Google Maps says 17 minutes drive for this trip.

Can I presume they're allowing for horrible BKK traffic?

Also would Monday early mornigin be extra busy in this area?

Underground train is a bit better maybe I could do this from HuaL to Ottobock?

I'd like to be economical but i find I can rent a day room 0800 to 1900 in the Amari Don Muang for 1200 and this may be worthwhile to have a base and a shower and a good swim to relax me for the flight attempt.

But if anyone has better suggestions for a base or a swim and gym where i can get to DMK for perhaps a 20.00 flight please say.

I really want to be able to fly and travel normally and visit family and friends abroad eventuallly before my m9bility decreases which is slowly likely to happen.

Thanks!

ps: I'd rather not travel Boeing 737Max anyone know which airlines are Max-free from DMK?

IMG_7263.JPG

For the first leg of that trip, traffic shouldn't be too bad in the morning on that expressway going north.  Make sure you tell the taxi driver that you want to "pay highway" so that he will take you on the expressway and not on the local surface roads.  Going from Hua Lamphong to up past JJ, I would definitely allow more than 20 minutes.

You could do the MRT, but that's going to be a long, uncomfortable ride at that time in the morning.   There is not much seating left on the MRT and the train should be nicely packed full of commuters that time of morning.

One thing to note, BKK taxi's can be a bit maddening.   I would recommend that you just book a Grab car and spare yourself the hassle.   

With that said, I think you should really research the train a bit more.   I believe that it also stops near Don Meung and then Bang Sue before Hua Lamphong.     Bang Sue station would be super close to your Ottobock stop.   I would recommend getting off there, rather than continuing on all the way to Hau Lamphong and then getting a taxi to come back to the same area...

-Mestizo

I always fly.

But, I have 2 very experienced pilot friends who will never fly any of the intercountry airlines. They take the train.

They claim the Thai pilots are way undertrained and a major air disaster is just waiting to happen due to their incompetence.

Personally, I enjoy the 'low and slow' rail option when travelling between Bangkok and Chiang Mai...., and more specifically the 2nd class night train..., potentially meeting fellow travellers..., many of whom are for the most part actually 'available for conversation' ! I prefer the 2nd class sleeper(lower bunk). I've heard it stated hereabouts that sleeping in 1st class.., the air-con is way too cold and cannot be turned off or down. Overall train travel is a very civilised and relaxing way to travel.
Transiting in or out through CNX invalidates the convenience of flying between BKK and CNX !
With train travel, I don't have to deal with hoards of loud, impolite, soul-less, locust travellers from farther north. 

Are you moving Nancy?  Or simply renovating the condo?

I'm gonna try the train, soon to BKK but i need nothing at IKEA except a cheap swedish meatball lunch.

And breaking news:  CP group has been awarded the contract to provide high-speed trains between the 3 airports, with chinese help, of course.  The chinese slip the brown envelopes to certain elite Thais and all goes well.

On May 28, 2019 at 3:13 AM, Mestizo said:

For the first leg of that trip, traffic shouldn't be too bad in the morning on that expressway going north.  Make sure you tell the taxi driver that you want to "pay highway" so that he will take you on the expressway and not on the local surface roads.  Going from Hua Lamphong to up past JJ, I would definitely allow more than 20 minutes.

You could do the MRT, but that's going to be a long, uncomfortable ride at that time in the morning.   There is not much seating left on the MRT and the train should be nicely packed full of commuters that time of morning.

One thing to note, BKK taxi's can be a bit maddening.   I would recommend that you just book a Grab car and spare yourself the hassle.   

With that said, I think you should really research the train a bit more.   I believe that it also stops near Don Meung and then Bang Sue before Hua Lamphong.     Bang Sue station would be super close to your Ottobock stop.   I would recommend getting off there, rather than continuing on all the way to Hau Lamphong and then getting a taxi to come back to the same area...

-Mestizo

I should say that I was hoping to have the day or two in BKK happening or even over by now but the wife.....who was going to accompany me and hopefully ease the anxiety getting around BKK and getting the plane (the plane is the important bit)........the wife's beloved Mum had some of her roof blown off in Paan so she had to drive her up there and wanted me to go and as she couldn't go to BKK anyway I decided to show solidarity and accede to her request.

SO BKK will be put back a few days until she is free again.

Anyway, Mestizo

......a really useful reply thanks

That may be very useful about Bangsue......if it is that close to Ottobock, which I think opens at 8, it is only a question of if the train arrives too early. Haven't been on the train for a long while, when do train travellers think it normally arrives at Hualamphong .....it official time is about 630 or 645 I think but i kinda recall nearer 8 in real life. Knock a bit off for getting off before Hualamphong, maybe 20 minutes eh?

On May 28, 2019 at 5:55 AM, bkk6060 said:

I always fly.

But, I have 2 very experienced pilot friends who will never fly any of the intercountry airlines. They take the train.

They claim the Thai pilots are way undertrained and a major air disaster is just waiting to happen due to their incompetence.

Not exactly what someone with a flying problem wants to hear.

I'm quite willing to take my chances on planes same as I always used to.......it's the anxiety that's the problem.

But I guess you thought you were helping.

Does 2nd Class mean each compartment has an upper and lower skinny bed on both sides = sleeps 4?

And is 1st Class a private compartment with a double bed or 2 single skinny beds = sleeps 2?

Second class is in sections each side and each with a table and seats.

At bedtime this gets made up into an upper and a lower berth. The upper a bit narrower, but not so bad, fine for normal size folk. the lower is wider so long 'uns like me can just about squeeze in full length on the diagonal.

Not quite sure about first class, don’t fancy being isolated off.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, cheeryble said:

I should say that I was hoping to have the day or two in BKK happening or even over by now but the wife.....who was going to accompany me and hopefully ease the anxiety getting around BKK and getting the plane (the plane is the important bit)........the wife's beloved Mum had some of her roof blown off in Paan so she had to drive her up there and wanted me to go and as she couldn't go to BKK anyway I decided to show solidarity and accede to her request.

SO BKK will be put back a few days until she is free again.

Anyway, Mestizo

......a really useful reply thanks

That may be very useful about Bangsue......if it is that close to Ottobock, which I think opens at 8, it is only a question of if the train arrives too early. Haven't been on the train for a long while, when do train travellers think it normally arrives at Hualamphong .....it official time is about 630 or 645 I think but i kinda recall nearer 8 in real life. Knock a bit off for getting off before Hualamphong, maybe 20 minutes eh?

LOL. I've never been on a train that arrives on time in Hualumpung. Get off at Bang Sue and can get the underground from there.

The journey from Bang Sue always takes seemingly forever, with frequent long waits.

4 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Does 2nd Class mean each compartment has an upper and lower skinny bed on both sides = sleeps 4?

And is 1st Class a private compartment with a double bed or 2 single skinny beds = sleeps 2?

Does 2nd Class mean each compartment has an upper and lower skinny bed on both sides

Yes, so 2 a side. Beds lengthways along train. Lower bunk is best. Top bunk not easy to get in/ out of and the light is on all the time.

No double beds, though I've quite successfully slept in one bunk with the GF.

Beds are across the train.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:25 AM, cheeryble said:

Not exactly what someone with a flying problem wants to hear.

I'm quite willing to take my chances on planes same as I always used to.......it's the anxiety that's the problem.

But I guess you thought you were helping.

delete

On 5/28/2019 at 5:55 AM, bkk6060 said:

I always fly.

Pilots catching the train...That's ridiculous and not just one but 2? Thai pilots undertrained my butt hole!! As a licensed pilot I call that Utter nonsense and complete BS

Why would you make that up? 

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:36 PM, cheeryble said:

."successfully"?? ????

Yes, My GF was very petite, as Thai girls used to be before they started scoffing western food. The lower bunk is wide enough for a non obese farang man and a petite woman. Not really long enough though, and my feet and head contacted the ends if I lay straight.

One of my favourite memories of train travel was doing something very quietly behind the curtain, as one of the guards was sitting on the opposite bunk. No prizes for guessing what we were doing ????

Yes, My GF was very petite, as Thai girls used to be before they started scoffing western food. The lower bunk is wide enough for a non obese farang man and a petite woman. Not really long enough though, and my feet and head contacted the ends if I lay straight.
One of my favourite memories of train travel was doing something very quietly behind the curtain, as one of the guards was sitting on the opposite bunk. No prizes for guessing what we were doing [emoji846]

Pictures?

Archived