Jump to content
BANGKOK 26 June 2019 10:06
seasia

SE Asia options for expats/ex Thailand.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, swissie said:

As I have been looking into this "re-locating" Business for quite some time I came to the following conclusion:


- As the so called 3rd world contries "narrow the gap", the less of an economic factor become the relatively few Expats in a country. (As part of the overall Thai-Economy, the financial contribution by Expat-Farangs is negligeable and play no role as far as the future economic developement of Thailand is conderned). Not talking "Tourism", well understood.


I see a trend evolving: At some point, only Farangs with a big wallet will be alloed in those "Retirement Paradises". (Those that can actually pay for an extended stay at a Hospital, for example.) Meaning that Expats only living on some moderate "Pension" will no more be able to qualify.


Another trend evolving: As those countries are "narrowing the gap" economically, currency exchange rates will mirror this fact. Meaning: Those countries will no more stand for "low cost of living" anymore.


Above all: Most of those SE/Asia Retirement Paradises are what is known as "Guided Democracies". Meaning: Without lenghty parliamentary discussions, Immigration "rules" can change overnight, making an investement in those countries the ultimate gamble.
I strongly believe that the Era of "Easy and low cost Retirement under Palm Trees" is coming to an end in SE/Asia for a majority of Farangs. This trend extending beyond SE/Asia most likely.
NOTE: All of this will only affect folks with a small(er) wallet. Once you park your 150 Meter Yacht in Monaco, you will be issued permanent residency in no time at all. In the end, it will boil down to "Size". Size matters! This time the size of ones wallet only.

- The current situation(s) in those countries are of no relevance. The only thing one can do is to extrapolite current trends into the future. It doesn't look good.


Once Threads like "What are the conditions of re-locating to Eastern Timuktu or Zimbabwe" are starting to emerge, then I will know that my prophecies have become reality.

All folks from the EU looking for sunshine can just move to Spain without even needing any visa. Spain is  also an affordable country.

There are lots of lower income countries giving good deals to expats retirees. I guess u just to blind to spot them.

Edited by Destiny1990

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

All folks from the EU looking for sunshine can just move to Spain without even needing any visa. Spain is  also an affordable country.

There are lots of lower income countries giving good deals to expats retirees. I guess u just to blind to spot them.

Plenty of Brits have retired in Spain. After the depreciation of the £, many are forced to live a very "humble-life" in Spain these days. After Brexit: Visa-Issues will surface.


Spain an "Affordable Country"? Yes, the Countryside of Spain is still quite "affordable". It's just that Rural-Spain is about as exiting as Rural-Laos. The places where a sane Expat would really want to stay in Spain are far less "affordable".= Understatement.


If there are lots of "lower income countries" giving Expats a good deal, (That I have been too blind to see, according to you), Name them, including the "fine print" that can only be overcome with the assistance of a Native Lawyer for a price.
Never mind, there will always be "affordable countries", with lax Immi-Legislation. Eastern Timbuktu and Zimbabwe come to mind among a few others. Spain can not possibly be on the list of someone that has lived in Thailand for any extended period of time. Not even considering financial aspects.
Your turn.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, swissie said:

Plenty of Brits have retired in Spain. After the depreciation of the £, many are forced to live a very "humble-life" in Spain these days. After Brexit: Visa-Issues will surface.


Spain an "Affordable Country"? Yes, the Countryside of Spain is still quite "affordable". It's just that Rural-Spain is about as exiting as Rural-Laos. The places where a sane Expat would really want to stay in Spain are far less "affordable".= Understatement.


If there are lots of "lower income countries" giving Expats a good deal, (That I have been too blind to see, according to you), Name them, including the "fine print" that can only be overcome with the assistance of a Native Lawyer for a price.
Never mind, there will always be "affordable countries", with lax Immi-Legislation. Eastern Timbuktu and Zimbabwe come to mind among a few others. Spain can not possibly be on the list of someone that has lived in Thailand for any extended period of time. Not even considering financial aspects.
Your turn.

Google Phillipines visa regulations..

Vietnam has less expensive visa deals.

its really not so difficult finding Countries whom are presenting us less complicated  visa options and procedures than Thailand.

24 hour notification  with 10k fines i have never come across such thing besides Thailand that is.

If People can live happily  in isarn than rural Spain will be an upgrade for them.

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, swissie said:

As I have been looking into this "re-locating" Business for quite some time I came to the following conclusion:


- As the so called 3rd world contries "narrow the gap", the less of an economic factor become the relatively few Expats in a country. (As part of the overall Thai-Economy, the financial contribution by Expat-Farangs is negligeable and play no role as far as the future economic developement of Thailand is conderned). Not talking "Tourism", well understood.


I see a trend evolving: At some point, only Farangs with a big wallet will be alloed in those "Retirement Paradises". (Those that can actually pay for an extended stay at a Hospital, for example.) Meaning that Expats only living on some moderate "Pension" will no more be able to qualify.


Another trend evolving: As those countries are "narrowing the gap" economically, currency exchange rates will mirror this fact. Meaning: Those countries will no more stand for "low cost of living" anymore.


Above all: Most of those SE/Asia Retirement Paradises are what is known as "Guided Democracies". Meaning: Without lenghty parliamentary discussions, Immigration "rules" can change overnight, making an investement in those countries the ultimate gamble.
I strongly believe that the Era of "Easy and low cost Retirement under Palm Trees" is coming to an end in SE/Asia for a majority of Farangs. This trend extending beyond SE/Asia most likely.
NOTE: All of this will only affect folks with a small(er) wallet. Once you park your 150 Meter Yacht in Monaco, you will be issued permanent residency in no time at all. In the end, it will boil down to "Size". Size matters! This time the size of ones wallet only.

- The current situation(s) in those countries are of no relevance. The only thing one can do is to extrapolite current trends into the future. It doesn't look good.


Once Threads like "What are the conditions of re-locating to Eastern Timuktu or Zimbabwe" are starting to emerge, then I will know that my prophecies have become reality.

"immigration "rules" can change overnight,making an investment in those countries the ultimate gamble."

 

Well said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Google Phillipines visa regulations..

Vietnam has less expensive visa deals.

its really not so difficult finding Countries whom are presenting us less complicated  visa options and procedures than Thailand.

24 hour notification  with 10k fines i have never come across such thing besides Thailand that is.

If People can live happily  in isarn than rural Spain will be an upgrade for them.

 

As I have tried to outline: Current Visa Regulations in those countries are no indication as to what those Visa-Regulations will be 10 years from now.

- I have lived in Rural-Thailand as well as in Rural Spain.  I found that Rural-Thailand is actually less boring than Rural Spain. That says it all. It would only take 2 horses to drag me back to Rural Thaiand, but no 10 horses could drag me back to Rural Spain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, swissie said:

As I have tried to outline: Current Visa Regulations in those countries are no indication as to what those Visa-Regulations will be 10 years from now.

- I have lived in Rural-Thailand as well as in Rural Spain.  I found that Rural-Thailand is actually less boring than Rural Spain. That says it all. It would only take 2 horses to drag me back to Rural Thaiand, but no 10 horses could drag me back to Rural Spain.

Hey i can only compare what countries have today for prices and procedures for their visa application.

i don't know how visa procedures will be in a decade for any country in the world sorry but u don’t make much sense.

By all means stay in Isarn..

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

It think that's because Vietnam is the new destination for refugee expats from the surrounding nations. 

Indonesia used to be free and easy - tightened up, Cambodia was ultra free and easy - tightened up, similar seems to be happening in Vietnam. IMO there will be further tightening as these economies develop - unless you tangibly benefit the economy in away that might be laid out in visa rules my guess is their feeling is why do we need these people - when Thailand came out with it's retirement visa in 1979 the economy was in the dumps, there were loads of empty apartments after US personnel left and it was likely assumed that retirees would employ a maid, a cook a gardener and a driver. They were likely not envisaging a flood of people who could not afford to live in their own country.

Edited by mokwit
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Maybe you can explain how it's 'tightened up', a one year multi-entry ES VISA for $300 (introduced in 2017) by signing an application at an agents office, with no financial checks seems pretty 'free and easy' to me.

OK maybe I missed something that happened in 2017 but I remember friends telling me it was getting harder previously - business visa required business paperwork whereas previously it did not. My timeline for judging harder or easier is 1995 to present.

 

How is it without the Agent?

Edited by mokwit
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cost of visa in Vietnam has increased last 2 years. Rumors among expats in Vietnam that a retirement visa is planned, but expected to cost more than Thailand. Future will tell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ExpatPH said:

Cost of visa in Vietnam has increased last 2 years. Rumors among expats in Vietnam that a retirement visa is planned, but expected to cost more than Thailand. Future will tell.

Thai retirement VISA (for a Brit) 800k lost interest @ 5% = 40k, then add the VISA price 2k = 42k (around $1,400)

How much more do you think it will cost?

 

I'm certainly OK with the Philippines and Cambodian VISA costs at around $300/year.

 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Visas getting tight and more expensive..... same can be said for the pussy. 

:shock1:

well then I am out of here. :cheesy:

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...