Shortening Thai Addresses

AAArdvark

I have had an issue a couple of times, including today where American Express had to send me a new card but the full Thai address wouldn't fit in their form.  Here is my full Thai address:

My Name

My Condo Name, apartment number

Road name, Soi number

Tambon, Amphur

Chang Wat, Chiang Mai 50200

Thailand

What part(s) of this address can I safely remove?  It seems to me the with the street, soi, city and postal code they should be able to find me?

Also, is it SuThep, Suthep or Su Thep ?

Pet peeve #1:  Why do Thais refuse to remove labels like the energy efficiency labels on appliances?

My Name

My Condo Name, apartment number

Chiang Mai 50200

Thailand

13 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Why do Thais refuse to remove labels like the energy efficiency labels on appliances?

the appliances are more colourful with the stickers on + some are too lazy to remove them + sometimes they are so stuck on you need "label remover" to remove them and that costs money..maybe 4-5 bowls of noodles money so just leave them on and eat instead.

Or the same reason most people do not remove a mattress tag - it is a legal requirement that it be on item for any sale and most people don't take the chance.  Find such stickers very handy as it provides easy access to item information and electric usage long after purchase.  

Image result for mattress label removal

It depends a bit on how well known and distinguishable these places are.

If for example you would live at Su Thep Road Soi 11 in Tambon Su Thep, you could just write it like: name / condo / room number / SuThep soi 11 / Meuang Chiang Mai 50200, TH and i'm sure they would find you

33 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It depends a bit on how well known and distinguishable these places are.

If for example you would live at Su Thep Road Soi 11 in Tambon Su Thep, you could just write it like: name / condo / room number / SuThep soi 11 / Meuang Chiang Mai 50200, TH and i'm sure they would find you

That brings up the 2nd part of the question.  In one place you use Su Thep and later you use SuThep.  Is one more correct than the other?

I've spelled it for more than a decade simply as Suthep and never had a problem.

Seems to me most of your address is needed (skipping spelling out Tambon and Amphur and Jangwat.  Ought to be:

Name

Condo Name, Unit #

Soi #, Road Name

T. Suthep, A. Muang (I presume)

Chiangmai, Thailand 50200

Simply put there is no "correct" way

of writing anything in an anglicised way. All spellings are basically a transliteration and there is no standardised spelling system in this country. So find a way to reduce the letter count, like changing Tambon to T., Amphur to A. and if you are in Chiang Mai city you can ignore the Changwat & simply use your postcode.

Archived