Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 May 2019 22:01
JMSIII

Professional Expat Tax Services

Recommended Posts

Let me apologize upfront, if this is another repeat topic/question.

 

Are there any Professional Expat Tax consultants in Bangkok, Pattaya, CM?  I'm moving the Thailand the end of May, and would like to get ahead of this new tax situation.   Thanks guys for any help I get! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which jurisdiction(s) are you interested in, for example, Thai Tax, US tax, or somewhere else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Misty said:

Which jurisdiction(s) are you interested in, for example, Thai Tax, US tax, or somewhere else?

I'm will be a retired guy on Social Security income living full time in Thailand.  So I'm interested in Thai Taxes and US Taxes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there some reason you would need ever to be in the same room with your tax preparer?  Because, if not, you can just find one on the internet in the US, where they are after all abundant, and provide documents by email.  If you need to have a discussion there is always Skype or any number of competing programs.  Likely to be cheaper, as well.  Many of them will advertise an expertise in expat taxes.

 

You won't owe Thai taxes unless you have income in Thailand.

 

Be sure to take the steps necessary to avoid liability for state taxes, if any.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cmarshall.....Yeah I have done a lot of digging since the post, and have found I can do it with someone here in the US.  Today I learned more specifics about my tax situation for next that has also made things a lot easier.  Thanks for your info, I appreciate it, I will be doing pretty much what you suggested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why you would need anyone as Taxact and other online services work fine for expats with normal income sources.  Only takes a few minutes to complete if normal SS/bank interest/IRA and such. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JMSIII said:

I'm will be a retired guy on Social Security income living full time in Thailand.  So I'm interested in Thai Taxes and US Taxes.

For Thai taxation based in Pattaya the best we found is C.A.T. Accounting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure why you would need anyone as Taxact and other online services work fine for expats with normal income sources.  Only takes a few minutes to complete if normal SS/bank interest/IRA and such. 

Having not done my taxes from a foreign country yet, I thought I would get ahead of things by asking people who have done this before.  Not wait until the last minute...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JoePai said:

For Thai taxation based in Pattaya the best we found is C.A.T. Accounting

Thanks JoePai, I appreciate the info.  I will keep this for a just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JMSIII said:

Having not done my taxes from a foreign country yet, I thought I would get ahead of things by asking people who have done this before.  Not wait until the last minute...  

Understand but it is the same tax laws and forms and if not working and only income is US nothing different for federal tax.  State tax you may want to avoid if currently paying and that can be an issue with some - but Google can be a great help.  If you have more than 10k in overseas bank accounts at any time during year another form to file online (FBAR).  If married to a Thai choice to file single or married (wife must declare to file married and her income would then be subject to tax).  

 

Edit:  for account interest here in Thailand you just convert to USD and add on return as if 1099-INT type items (don't need actual form).  

As mentioned it all very easy using Taxact or other website and cost is reasonable to free.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First thing to do is register with the IRS for an online account.  You can do it in Thailand but is easier to do it in the US, since it requires telephone verification

 

Second thing is make sure you maintain a US bank account and a US address

 

Once you have an IRS account set up, then you can do everything regarding US taxes online, to include, preparing, filing, and payment (free file if your income is under a certain amount)

 

I think you are making too big a deal out of  my taxes from a foreign country .  Not much different from Thailand unless,  you want to paper file and then the only downside is the time it takes to get the mailed forms to the US

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You do not have to have a US address to pay US tax (perhaps for the direct online service?) - my IRS address has been Thailand for the last two decades and tax return is submitted online via independent software.  

 

Suspect almost all will want to maintain US bank account or two although SS can be direct deposited to Thailand.  Be sure to sign an electronic transfer agreement with bank prior to leaving as many require personal visit to sign (if you ever want to make money transfers using SWIFT).  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly recommend TaxesForExpats.com  Google them. I have been using them for years and give them very high regards.

 

I too was hesitant to use an online tax preparer and wanted someone who can sit next to me, but they have never let me down. They will email you and give you all the help and advice you need. Extremely friendly and fast service. Their online questionnaire is very good and gets easier every year.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

I highly recommend TaxesForExpats.com  Google them. I have been using them for years and give them very high regards.

 

I too was hesitant to use an online tax preparer and wanted someone who can sit next to me, but they have never let me down. They will email you and give you all the help and advice you need. Extremely friendly and fast service. Their online questionnaire is very good and gets easier every year.

 

Too rich for me, maybe if I was Warren Buffet I might need this type of service

 

79398343_areyoukiddingme.png.ab04d2d8a8655937e1ccc14ad1222100.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...