Buying clothes and trainers for child

Laddy123

Our son is 2 and I have until recently resisted buying him a pair of popular branded trainers. 

I visited many stores. Robinson, Fairy plaza but I never found 1 pair of children's branded trainers which were:

Not made in China

Not less than 1600 baht

like good quality you expect 

So instead of giving in we case the net wider to online stores in the UK where the range is bigger, the prices are over 60% lower and the production origin is not China.

We purchased 4 pairs of Adidas, 3 different styles, 4 different sizes.

Paid a total of  £45 for all 4 pairs. Had them shipped to a family member who shipped them using international signed. £21.50.

Goods were removed from boxes and labels/prices all removed. . Marked as a gift.

Arrived after 5 days.

Prior to this we ordered

7 x branded polo shirts for him at a cost of 2.50 each. 100% cotton slazenger.

2 x Adidas mesh football type t-shirts £6 each

4 pairs of No Fear knew length shorts. £4 each

2 tracksuit by converse £8 each.

Delabelled goods.

Shipped and received within 5 days again. £21.50

& the first time we spent £78 on approximately 15 garments which all arrived via my family member using international signed within 5 days.

The savings and quality of products has had a big impact on my Mrs who now shuns all markets selling children's clothes and the only place we ever spend time browsing is the babystone sale items in Robinson's which are usually of not all the time; 100% cotton.

Sportsdirect is the place we get the discounted goods.

Well worth the wait.

Buying kids clothes from markets in Thailand, it usually lasts about 10 minutes in my experience. 

I find A to Z and Uniqlo are pretty good for kids clothes. Quality is as expected for the price imo

Edit to add - you're probably right in what you say re getting stuff sent over from the UK. I'd just be concerned with potentially being hit with customs charges once the goods arrived in Thailand or maybe that's not an issue for kids clothes??

Sounds good.

In case your family member wants to do this more often and earn a few bucks, i would be interested ordering clothing items in the UK and get them shipped here.

My wife currently does the purchasing for the kids on Line groups and online and we dont really have complaints about the quality though. Barely ever do we buy in shops or at markets.

At that age if you are living here in Thailand from experience you are wasting your time and money with the brand names you suggested and forget the online shopping.

If it isn't you then tell the wife what would she buy for her kid if not already before you came along?  Tell her " you aren't a foreigner looking online etc trying to show off tough my words but that is exactly what it is!

These brand names are to satisfy her or your ego!  Get a copy, go to a local Thai baby store and get all the trainers you need for 10th of the price and as you noted it isn't made in the West just the name and your baby at 2 has no idea what so ever!  

I've been through this nonsense for my son and now with my son wife who wants everything she see online but I tell her and she gets mad as hell " this is Thailand " which is what she says to me all the time. I love my grand baby but she gets Thai items that look from the west after a few weeks she has grown out of it.

Whenever I make a trip home to the U.S. I get a few items which all say Made in China or Southeast Asia of course I'm not stupid enough to think the quality is the same. I get a few items to make them happy but obtain them from the discount stores like Marshalls or Ross!  The baby doesn't know a thing just your wife and you!

My wife says that the quality of clothes and shoes are better and some times cheaper in the U.K. (Primark is her favourite shop) even though most of the stuff is made in India or Cambodia.

The other thing she can’t believe is you can change stuff if you keep the receipt.

Kids grow fast and unless you plan to have several children or pass the clothes to friends/relatives who are having children there really is no need for "high" quality. As for name brands, do you really think a two year old cares? It is all about face for the parents. Spend time holding, playing, feeding, keeping the child clean and dry. Don't worry about name brand shoes and clothing. If you have too much they will wear them 3-4 times and then grow out of them. I do know people that bought so many clothes the kids never even wore them before they outgrew them. Just my opinion. Up to you how you spend your money.

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2019 at 4:10 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Buying kids clothes from markets in Thailand, it usually lasts about 10 minutes in my experience. 

I find A to Z and Uniqlo are pretty good for kids clothes. Quality is as expected for the price imo

Edit to add - you're probably right in what you say re getting stuff sent over from the UK. I'd just be concerned with potentially being hit with customs charges once the goods arrived in Thailand or maybe that's not an issue for kids clothes??

Delabel them debox them and declare value as X and description as gift. No issues thus far. Transit is 5 days too. Definitely makes sense. Maybe after a few to the same address they may look at it? Addressed to a Thai always.

On 4/21/2019 at 5:15 AM, Ulic said:

Kids grow fast and unless you plan to have several children or pass the clothes to friends/relatives who are having children there really is no need for "high" quality. As for name brands, do you really think a two year old cares? It is all about face for the parents. Spend time holding, playing, feeding, keeping the child clean and dry. Don't worry about name brand shoes and clothing. If you have too much they will wear them 3-4 times and then grow out of them. I do know people that bought so many clothes the kids never even wore them before they outgrew them. Just my opinion. Up to you how you spend your money.

I don't worry about name brands but the quality is lacking and anything in Robinson is just more expensive overall and quality is lacking in comparison. So it's actually worth it buying discounted branded stuff for kids versus rip off very low quality and even less choice in Thailand. I shop around a lot so I'm not foolish and clothes and shoes are super easy to tell if quality is there.  We also buy a year in advance so so if he's 2-3 we but clothes for 3-4. We are spending a lot less now on clothes as those weekly trips to the market/central are there but the Mrs desire for clothes for her or son is firmly gone, praise the Lord!!!

On 4/20/2019 at 12:31 PM, Bob12345 said:

Sounds good.

In case your family member wants to do this more often and earn a few bucks, i would be interested ordering clothing items in the UK and get them shipped here.

My wife currently does the purchasing for the kids on Line groups and online and we dont really have complaints about the quality though. Barely ever do we buy in shops or at markets.

DIY 

On 4/20/2019 at 3:45 PM, thailand49 said:

At that age if you are living here in Thailand from experience you are wasting your time and money with the brand names you suggested and forget the online shopping.

If it isn't you then tell the wife what would she buy for her kid if not already before you came along?  Tell her " you aren't a foreigner looking online etc trying to show off tough my words but that is exactly what it is!

These brand names are to satisfy her or your ego!  Get a copy, go to a local Thai baby store and get all the trainers you need for 10th of the price and as you noted it isn't made in the West just the name and your baby at 2 has no idea what so ever!  

I've been through this nonsense for my son and now with my son wife who wants everything she see online but I tell her and she gets mad as hell " this is Thailand " which is what she says to me all the time. I love my grand baby but she gets Thai items that look from the west after a few weeks she has grown out of it.

Whenever I make a trip home to the U.S. I get a few items which all say Made in China or Southeast Asia of course I'm not stupid enough to think the quality is the same. I get a few items to make them happy but obtain them from the discount stores like Marshalls or Ross!  The baby doesn't know a thing just your wife and you!

You don't sound like you are enjoying fatherhood. It's not about brand names it's about quality and a much lower cost the brands were just examples of the savings versus same brands in Thailand. I got some Adidas from UK after reading this too. Sportsdirect I think it said. £23 for 2 pairs I done not signed shipping from UK and it arrived in a week and my total spend was.

£23 2 pairs

£4.95 shipping to uk

£14.25 untracked shipping to Los.

£40

Here in Robinson's same trainers but made in China are 1600 baht. 

21 minutes ago, Bkkjimbo said:

I got some Adidas from UK after reading this too. Sportsdirect I think it said.

16 minutes ago, Bkkjimbo said:

Which country are the Adidas trainers from Sports Direct manufactured in?

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:28 PM, Bkkjimbo said:

Sportsdirect I think it said. £23 for 2 pairs I done not signed shipping from UK and it arrived in a week and my total spend was.

£23 2 pairs

£4.95 shipping to uk

£14.25 untracked shipping to Los.

£40

At the market they are less than 600 baht.

Archived