(More) incentives sought for tourism

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Genmai said:

Marketing studies have proven time and time again that the costs of acquiring a new customer are always several times higher than turning a past customer into a repeat customer. 

I don't think this is in effect / applies to Thailand tourism: Thailand is a brand name and has had free ride on attracting the so far endless supply of first time visitors. Now it seems that the endless supply of first and last time! visitors is ending , combined with accommodation oversupply.

Thailand has successfully turned the corner from being an exotic adventure destination on the bucket list of high end tourists to a cheap holiday for Chinese and Indian tourists.  So by all means lower the visa standards and devalue the currency as this will appeal to Thailand’s new tourist elite.  I live in Thailand half of the year and I can’t even engage friends to visit ... the reputation being so bad now (heat, pollution, political troubles, pubic safety etc).

8 hours ago, webfact said:

BUSINESSES are calling on the government to come up with incentives to shore up the tourism industry, such as further liberalisation on visas that include fee waivers for citizens of countries that are still required to apply.

Why is it just about tourism, why not come up with incentives for the whole trade spectrum & help everyone in the country... not just those fleecing foreigners on the beaches.

Stop the impolitness. 
Stop the agressive mannerisms. 
Stop the over charges and the one price for Thai another for foreigners. 
Stop the police targeting foreigners for tea money. 
Stop the filth and dirt.
Get rid of street dogs. 
Make it safer to walk on sidewalks and go out.
Stop beach vendors plus street vendor harassments. 
Stop aggressive taxi plus motor cycle taxi drivers.
Stop many things.

Make visa applications easier with far less red tape BS. 

Tourists visit a place to relax, enjoy and get value for money, which Thailand is not! 

Without tourist and expat investments, what would Thailand really be like? 

Thai should open their eyes and be more thankful. 

Excellent suggestions- definitely Thais working with tourists need to improve their English skills ( international language) - worse in all of SE Asia - even in Siem Reap & Phnom Penh the Cambodia’s speak better English in the tourist industry. And most of all, teach these clueless Thais dealing with tourists about customer service!!! Training is essential. So many Thais in customer service are clueless about what is expected of them- You do not stand there looking at your phone; you do not slurp down your Tum Yum soup while waiting on a customer; you first smile and say “Swat dee kup” before giving a blank look; don’t squeeze your zits in public while working... It is possible to train a staff, the international hotel and restaurant chains do a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 minutes ago, toenail said:

Excellent suggestions- definitely Thais working with tourists need to improve their English skills ( international language) - worse in all of SE Asia - even in Siem Reap & Phnom Penh the Cambodia’s speak better English in the tourist industry. And most of all, teach these clueless Thais dealing with tourists about customer service!!! Training is essential. So many Thais in customer service are clueless about what is expected of them- You do not stand there looking at your phone; you do not slurp down your Tum Yum soup while waiting on a customer; you first smile and say “Swat dee kup” before giving a blank look; don’t squeeze your zits in public while working... It is possible to train a staff, the international hotel and restaurant chains do a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You forget, Picking their noses 

4 hours ago, PatOngo said:

The headline I would like to see is …. More incentives sought FROM tourists …. such as, tourist safety, single tier pricing, less tourist rip off's,  consistent immigration policy for a start.

...but Pattaya's new initiative is a real PR heavy weight:

WE%20TAKE%20CARE%20YOU%201_zpsgzde926g.p

How about making it less burdensome.  I am a retiree and have a Non-O Visa.  I wanted a re-entry permit.  Aside from the nuisance and expense of having to go to the immigration dept. in Jomtien I got the application, completed it and then presented it at 3:15 PM.  Despite posted signs saying that applications would be accepted to 3:30 PM I was told to come back tomorrow because they were already too busy. 

How about letting people like me have a visa if they want more tourist income, instead of making it harder and saying I visited too many times. Or sell a one year visa for 120,000b. Im spending more than this per year on all the trips I do out of the country anyway when adding up the flights and hotels in places I dont even wish to go.

And things like when walking in the street near my place the other day, some thai kid showing me his middle finger and his parents laughing about it. Nice. Land of Smiles

This is a bigger nut than the various Thai agencies are equipped to crack. Putting all their hopes on the Chinese is only a start. TAT's incompetence is one within reach to resolve but it won't be addressed. The air pollution would require a unified effort from various parties, both domestic and international, that don't have shared goals...so no resolution likely. The Bhat rate has an impact but conversations regarding this trend has not been productive. But perhaps the biggest problem is the Thai political situation and if there is not a change of leadership the volatility is not likely to diminish causing more reluctance from potential tourist.

It is easy. Take a leaf out of Laos tourist plans.

Welcoming at the border or airport.

Minimal police strutting around.

Immigration officials welcome you

Get the soldiers back in the barracks.

Get rid of the smog that is everywhere.

Get rid of traffic congestion and grid lock in the cities.

Make it affordable to come here.

Tell Chinese and Indian tourists how to act civilized. Tell them not to block the street and fail to let someone pass when they crowd off the bus.

Clean up the beaches, the streets.....

Not going to happen is it?

23 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

How about devaluing the Baht, the main reason is plain to see Thailand has become too expensive......

And, a poor value as service remains low quality and low class. If I want to spend lots of money, I can do in countries that give me value for it. Thailand gives value only at low costs. 

For example in the Asia context - 

Japan (high price, high value):

Respectable culture and people 

World class local and international food 

High safety

Thailand (high price, low value):

Cultural free-for-all 

Generally poor international food 

Low safety 

Thailand's value is best summed up as 

A. cheap, available women 

B. cheap and tasty but mostly unhealthy Thai food 

C. tropical climate

D. place to be deviant as so many locals are also deviant

There really is nothing else. Most stuff the Thais hawk are much better in so many countries, even countries in the immediate region. 

Thai temples are usually not well-maintained 

Thai beaches are often dirty

Thais themselves are often not very welcoming once you get passed the plastic smiles 

Thais often don't care at all about safety, especially for tourists 

Even Thai countrysides are usually poorly maintained and uglier than natural places should be 

Bangkok is a hopeless dump of a city, chaotic, unwalkable due to terrible pavements with obstacles every 2 meters. Unable to move around in auto as traffic and roads are terrible. 

Ect. 

There is almost NOTHING NICE of high quality in Thailand, human or otherwise. 

Let's accept that, in the short-term, no significant changes can be made to currency rates, pollution levels, racism, crime and many of the other intractable problems being raised in this thread.

If the Thai authorities wanted to increase the amount of money being spent by foreigners in Thailand, here are 5 simple steps they could implement right away:

1. Increase the visa waiver to 90 days (same as Malaysia).

2. Drop the retirement age to 40 (same as The Philippines).

3. Encourage the use of Thailand as a hub for visitors to the region by ordering immigration officers to stop interpreting frequent trips in and out of the country as a bad thing.

4. Drop the insane 20,000 baht cash-on-arrival requirement.

5. Drop pointless, pre-Internet, East German Stasi requirements such as the TM30 and 90-day reports.

6. Replace all the immigration officers in Don Muang with macaque monkeys - it will be a more pleasant experience for everyone, even the people who get hit in the face by flying shit.

I understand the reasons for some rules but am absolutely certain that there are ways to address those problems without torpedoing your tourist industry. For instance, if there is genuinely a problem with foreigners taking Thai jobs, deport anyone caught doing that and keep fining the employers until they stop.

The key problem is that Thailand took for granted the Western habit of traveling to Thailand. In a fit of pique over Western governments gently expressing a preference for democracy in Thailand, the army decided to throw away the special position that Thailand had earned over five decades. Westerners tourists would be replaced with the "rich" and plentiful Chinese.

Now the Thais are discovering that, perhaps, it might have been a good idea to hang onto that existing, reliable, deeply entrenched Western tourism, that perhaps Chinese tourism might not be quite as profitable or as stable as they had imagined.

If the Thai government have sense (and that is a big IF), they will reverse course but it may be too late to salvage the situation. The reputation Thailand had built up as a relaxed, friendly, easy-going destination has been blasted to smithereens. Westerners will keep coming, but our awareness of capricious, ever-changing rules have changed our relationship with Thailand, people won't be coming with the same infectious enthusiasm, or in the same numbers, as before. 

5 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Let's accept that, in the short-term, no significant changes can be made to currency rates, pollution levels, racism, crime and many of the other intractable problems being raised in this thread.

If the Thai authorities wanted to increase the amount of money being spent by foreigners in Thailand, here are 5 simple steps they could implement right away:

1. Increase the visa waiver to 90 days (same as Malaysia).

2. Drop the retirement age to 40 (same as The Philippines).

3. Encourage the use of Thailand as a hub for visitors to the region by ordering immigration officers to stop interpreting frequent trips in and out of the country as a bad thing.

4. Drop the insane 20,000 baht cash requirement.

5. Replace all the immigration officers in Don Muang with trained macaque monkeys.

I understand the reasons for some rules but am absolutely certain that there are ways to address those problems without torpedoing your tourist industry. For instance, if there is genuinely a problem with foreigners taking Thai jobs, deport anyone caught doing that and keep fining the employers until they stop.

Add the TM30 to that list

Here are some incentives for you, respected deciders :

- give out a better exchange rate for the THB - say 1 US$ = 37 THB

- put police officers at the taxi arrivals at Suvarnabhumi Airport and arrest the first taxi who tries to cheat anybody

- bring in more female "entertainers" from Isaan  :crazy:

- put Big Joke style giant posters all over  saying - "Welcome Foreigner"

- stop the 90 day reporting

- stop the re-entry permit requirement

- make all "O" category visas with multiple entry and all valid for one year with no reporting required

- give out a 5 year retirement visa with the THB 800'000 in the bank

- by law, the soapys must be open 24/7 :crazy:

- stop the dual pricing

- dismiss any cop who tries to extort money or harass a foreigner on some invented reason or road block

- let foreigners own one piece of land for their retirement home

- enforce proper price control and stop the greedy merchants from selling booze at european prices in bars and clubs

- be nice as you know how to

- ban the Chinese ????

- teach your young generation english and provide courses in Thai for the grumpy farangs

and tourists will may come back....

7 hours ago, ericthai said:

Then the costs of imports goes up more!

Yes, but

1. the price to the consumer hasn't reduced as imports have become cheaper so there may not be much change

2. Thailand ia a net exporter

23 hours ago, DLock said:

You could spend all this money and look for new "incentives" to generate new tourists.

Or you could spend money on the tourists you already have.

Make sure they are safe, not ripped off, not overcharged, give clean beaches to swim in and feel valued in Thailand so that they want to come back, and they tell all their friends how wonderful Thailand is.

Having to always look for new customers will eventually end in failure.

You speaking about what country ? Because see all the garbage on the road, is a long way...

Archived